General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Biking in the City Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-06-08 1:12 PM

User image

Regular
Philadelphia, PA
Subject: Biking in the City
I will (hopefully) be moving to center city philadelphia this month, and if anyone knows Philadelphia or any city for that matter, having a car is really a bad thing, but good if you have a brand new beautiful bike. I haven't had the best luck clipping in and out of my pedals (I fall at least twice on every 2 hour ride I've ever done) but my nerves are kind of crazy as far as biking in the city. Sure falling on a back street isn't to bad (there are less cars to get hit by and people to laugh at you) but in the city I could careless if someone laughs at me, my whole thing is not falling in the middle of Market Street and getting run over by a bus.

Does anyone (city bikers, or suburb bikers) have any advice on how to unclip spontaneously? Its very hard to have any warning when crossing a busy street in the city with the way the traffic lights turn so fast, I can only imagine how it would be on a bike.

2006-06-08 1:20 PM
in reply to: #447716

User image

Expert
Denver, Colorado
Subject: RE: Biking in the City
Loosen your pedals, or rotate your cleats into a position where a small angle will unclip them. Also, repeated unclipping can cause loose cleats to rotate into a more difficult position, so you should take a look and make sure your cleats are still in the same position as when you installed them. If they aren't, put 'em back, and tighten the screws better.
2006-06-08 1:25 PM
in reply to: #447716

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Biking in the City

I swapped cleats for platform pedals on my city bike.  My issue wasn't so much falling down but that it was inconvenient clipping and unclipping at every stop.  Also, I was having some knee problems that seemed to aggravated by the twisting.   I think the platforms cost about $12.  I bought a pedal wrench to make it easy to swap back and forth with clipless pedals. 

I ride in Atlanta.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Biking in the City Rss Feed