General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sprint Tri Bike leg strategy: What do you do? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2012-07-21 9:48 PM
in reply to: #4323465

User image

Master
Central Indiana
Subject: RE: Sprint Tri Bike leg strategy: What do you do?
adrian. - 2012-07-21 4:30 PM
Oldteen - 2012-07-21 12:12 PM
adrian. - 2012-07-20 2:43 PM

pga_mike - 2012-07-20 6:16 AM Go as hard as you can on the bike except for the last 2-5 minutes.  Be sure to ease of at least twice to get in a little liquid nutrition.

This, except that I never take any nutrition or water during a sprint as I don't need it.  If you need it, use it.

No doubt hydration/fuel is not NEEDED to finish sprint, but most data show that best performance in hard exercise >30-45min results when some H2O/carbs are consumed. 

Do you have a link to this?  FWIW, I never see any of the elite athletes (haven't done any sprints with pros) use anything.  To modify my prior statement, sometimes I grab a water at an aid station on the run, but not usually.

American College of Sports Medicine has a couple decent scientific reviews (each with >100 ref's).   You can download the full published reviews by clicking on pdf links at these sites-

http://journals.lww.com/acsm-msse/Fulltext/2007/02000/Exercise_and_Fluid_Replacement.22.aspx

http://journals.lww.com/acsm-msse/Fulltext/2009/03000/Nutrition_and_Athletic_Performance.27.aspx

From the individual scientific papers cited in these reviews, most data on supplemental hydration/carb intake begins to reach statistical significance at ~30-45min of exercise (depending on specific scientific protocol).  Data support fluid intake generally at a bit shorter exercise time than carb intake.  By ~1hr of sustained hard exercise the data on both fluids/carbs are strong enough to be included in ACSM's "Position Stands" (always difficult to reach ANY consensus among academics Wink).

Tidbit re- elite athletes & intake in 1+hr event: In today's TT stage 19 of TdF (63-71min efforts riding 53+k), every rider on TV coverage drank sports drink (various types according to teams) during their ride.  I DVR'ed the Stage (to check out equipment/position variations), and every rider started with a fluid bottle-which interestingly most either did not discard or discarded only after final (30+k) checkpoint (or

Edited by Oldteen 2012-07-21 9:52 PM

2012-07-22 8:29 AM
in reply to: #4321461

User image

Champion
New York, NY
red line the whole race. Try not to puke on volunteer's head as they remove the chip.
2012-07-22 8:46 AM

User image

Master
I've been sprinting for some years now, and my strategy has become treating the bike leg like a time trial and go all out. With your background of longer distances, you should be fine with that. Push a bigger gear for more speed and max out on the bike leg. The run won't suffer much. This strategy is a product of the 'train your weakness, race your strength' philosophy.

As for nutrition, I like a few sips on the bike, although it can be hard to swallow while going all out. I noticed that the TDF riders took some sips during the one hour time trial yesterday.
2012-07-22 9:10 AM
in reply to: #4323766

Veteran
Oldteen - 2012-07-21 8:48 PM
adrian. - 2012-07-21 4:30 PM
Oldteen - 2012-07-21 12:12 PM
adrian. - 2012-07-20 2:43 PM

pga_mike - 2012-07-20 6:16 AM Go as hard as you can on the bike except for the last 2-5 minutes.  Be sure to ease of at least twice to get in a little liquid nutrition.

This, except that I never take any nutrition or water during a sprint as I don't need it.  If you need it, use it.

No doubt hydration/fuel is not NEEDED to finish sprint, but most data show that best performance in hard exercise >30-45min results when some H2O/carbs are consumed. 

Do you have a link to this?  FWIW, I never see any of the elite athletes (haven't done any sprints with pros) use anything.  To modify my prior statement, sometimes I grab a water at an aid station on the run, but not usually.

American College of Sports Medicine has a couple decent scientific reviews (each with >100 ref's).   You can download the full published reviews by clicking on pdf links at these sites-

http://journals.lww.com/acsm-msse/Fulltext/2007/02000/Exercise_and_Fluid_Replacement.22.aspx

http://journals.lww.com/acsm-msse/Fulltext/2009/03000/Nutrition_and_Athletic_Performance.27.aspx

From the individual scientific papers cited in these reviews, most data on supplemental hydration/carb intake begins to reach statistical significance at ~30-45min of exercise (depending on specific scientific protocol).  Data support fluid intake generally at a bit shorter exercise time than carb intake.  By ~1hr of sustained hard exercise the data on both fluids/carbs are strong enough to be included in ACSM's "Position Stands" (always difficult to reach ANY consensus among academics Wink).

Tidbit re- elite athletes & intake in 1+hr event: In today's TT stage 19 of TdF (63-71min efforts riding 53+k), every rider on TV coverage drank sports drink (various types according to teams) during their ride.  I DVR'ed the Stage (to check out equipment/position variations), and every rider started with a fluid bottle-which interestingly most either did not discard or discarded only after final (30+k) checkpoint (or

Summaries (didn't read the whole thing) indicate simply that you should stay hydrated during exercise.  Some of the researchers were sponsored by gatorade, which makes me skeptical.  Regardless, there is certainly some point at which taking water becomes beneficial, probably depends mostly on the length of exercise, how much you sweat, and the heat during the event.  My sprints are short enough that I feel it would take more time than I gain to have water on the bike and try to take during an "all out" effort.  YMMV.

2012-07-22 4:44 PM
in reply to: #4323615

User image

gsmacleod - 2012-07-21 6:42 PM
colinphillips - 2012-07-21 7:13 PM

I appreciate all the tough talk in this thread. But I'm wondering whether it really makes sense to go so hard on the bike in a sprint. For a race that lasts 60-90 minutes for most of us, going full throttle the whole way just doesn't seem feasible, if taken literally. These are still very much endurance events.

Precisely! It is easy to say things like all out, as hard as you can, redline it the whole way, etc but while a sprint is a hard aerobic effort, it isn't even close to ones hardest aerobic effort, let alone all out. Shane

I agree. i think a more accurate representation of "all out" means, doing each leg as hard and as consistently paced as possible.  So, for a 12-16 mile bike, that means doing it as hard as you can without fading at the end.  I would also remove the "final sprint" like you would in a standalone race from the swim/bike legs.  Then run the 5k as hard as you can and hope you don't blow up.

I dont know if this is the optimal strategy, but I dont have enough experience to say otherwise.  My last sprint I intentionally held a little back on the swim (didn't want to go hypoxic or anything) since that is my strength and there wasn't much to gain by going all out and causing more harm than gained.  On the bike I went very hard, but I did hold back from having a deep burn in my legs.  As a result, I ran the 5k of my life and felt strong all the way to the end but still feeling like I left it all out there.  My final result turned out better than I expected as well so who knows.

2013-02-17 3:11 PM
in reply to: #4321488

User image

Leegoocrap - 2012-07-21 12:40 AMStart hard. TT the swim... it's not long enough to "hurt" you later on./QUOTE]Interesting article here that suggests a hard swim has more of an effect than one might thinkhttp://bjsm.bmj.com/content/39/12/960.full

2013-02-18 3:47 AM
in reply to: #4321463

User image

Master

pga_mike - 2012-07-20 11:16 AM Go as hard as you can on the bike except for the last 2-5 minutes.

I will remember this. Last one I was conservative till the last mile. Cranked it up to the end, then I couldn't feel my legs for 1/2 the run.

2013-02-18 12:34 PM

User image

Regular

My sprint last summer I think had my avg HR like at 182. I still had a little gas left at the end of the race as well. Guessing I should of started my sprint at the end a little bit sooner. So if you have the aerobic capacity, you should be fine to go hard almost all the way. 

But I like what others said to ease up a few minutes before getting on the bike. I guess you could say I did that myself as the last portion of the bike was downhill so I could ease up just a touch and actually had to because the course was pretty busy with a lot of inexperienced riders.

2013-02-18 1:10 PM
in reply to: #4626323

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Blanda - 2013-02-18 4:47 AM

pga_mike - 2012-07-20 11:16 AM Go as hard as you can on the bike except for the last 2-5 minutes.

I will remember this. Last one I was conservative till the last mile. Cranked it up to the end, then I couldn't feel my legs for 1/2 the run.

Remember it.  And then ignore it.  Because it is not a good race strategy (asssuming your goal is to finish in as little time as possible).

2013-02-18 2:48 PM
in reply to: #4627019

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
JohnnyKay - 2013-02-18 2:10 PM

Remember it.  And then ignore it.  Because it is not a good race strategy (asssuming your goal is to finish in as little time as possible).

I'm not debating, rather asking a question.  A few years ago I started to lighten up my gear and dramatically increase my cadence near T2 to get the legs ready to run....It seemed to work as I was able to get into the run quite quickly vs. the feeling of dead legs I was accustomed to.  I'd estimate I did this for maybe 100-125 yards from T2..

IF I no longer do this, won't I still lose some valuable time "waking up" my legs early in the run?  I.E., the time saved NOT slowing down in the very last stages of the bike to wake up the legs will be given back at the beginning of the run?

I'd prefer to hammer it all the way to bike dismount but as I mentioned, I've struggled with the dead legs until I came across the tip for upping the cadence near transition which for me worked..

Edited by TriMike 2013-02-18 2:49 PM
2013-02-18 2:57 PM
in reply to: #4627185

Master
Northern IL
TriMike - 2013-02-18 2:48 PM

I'm not debating, rather asking a question.  A few years ago I started to lighten up my gear and dramatically increase my cadence near T2 to get the legs ready to run....It seemed to work as I was able to get into the run quite quickly vs. the feeling of dead legs I was accustomed to.  I'd estimate I did this for maybe 100-125 yards from T2..

IF I no longer do this, won't I still lose some valuable time "waking up" my legs early in the run?  I.E., the time saved NOT slowing down in the very last stages of the bike to wake up the legs will be given back at the beginning of the run?

I'd prefer to hammer it all the way to bike dismount but as I mentioned, I've struggled with the dead legs until I came across the tip for upping the cadence near transition which for me worked..

I do something like that at times, but power drops by less than 5% (less than that, really) and it's only for the last minute. I'm not exactly going "easy" or even moderate. And I'm only one gear short of where I'd be, so it's still something I can use quite well.

2013-02-18 3:56 PM
in reply to: #4321463

User image

Ann Arbor

pga_mike - 2012-07-20 8:16 AM Go as hard as you can on the bike except for the last 2-5 minutes.  Be sure to ease of at least twice to get in a little liquid nutrition.

This is what I do. But then again, I always explode in the run and fall apart, no matter how fast or slow I take the bike. If you do a brick or two or more, you should be fine to go all out in the bike. It's only 12 to 15 miles. 

2013-02-18 4:47 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS

Leegoocrap - 2012-07-20 7:40 AM Start hard. TT the swim... it's not long enough to "hurt" you later on. On the bike I'd be looking to cook myself... again, a TT pace without the final *kick* at the last mile. The first few minutes of the run will probably feel like the castle is crumbling, but if you make it past that you should smooth out into your normal race pace and finish strong.

x2 on this strategy but if during the last mile the dude in front of you is in your AG, pass him, move your a$$ through T2 such that he thinks you're gone......

2013-02-18 6:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Guam

Leegoocrap - 2012-07-20 9:40 AM Start hard. TT the swim... it's not long enough to "hurt" you later on. On the bike I'd be looking to cook myself... again, a TT pace without the final *kick* at the last mile. The first few minutes of the run will probably feel like the castle is crumbling, but if you make it past that you should smooth out into your normal race pace and finish strong.

This ^^^^^ is great advise IMO.   Also I'd eat a gel on the run out before mounting the bike and another gel coming out of T2. Ideally, I'd do a sprint pace and distance bike-to-run brick NOW to learn just how fast you can go at the sprint distance pace. "In a sprint tri EVERY second counts".

2013-02-19 5:50 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
I treat it as a freestanding TT... for two reason... First, I'm a truly horrible swimmer (usually refer to myself as a non-drowner) and commonly the last one (in my AG if not overall) out of the water. I have to go as hard as I can on the bike just to get closer to the front before the run. Second, I know that I can go hard to the point where I'm cross-eyed in T2 and still run well.

How hard you should go on the bike leg really comes down to how well can you run after you have cooked your legs... that comes with experience.

Being competitive in sprint tri's comes down to a few things, but the two major things you need to learn (and it takes a few seasons of racing to get there) is pacing at the very edge. There's a very fine line between going too hard, going to soft and the perfect pace. You need to learn how to read the signals that your body sends... too hard one day might only be a few % different than perfect pace the next day. Second thing to learn is suffering. Sprint tri's are not easy, and you will learn how to suffer when you race them.

Sprint triathlons are no different then Oly when it comes do understanding your strengths and weaknesses. If you're a strong cyclist, but weak runner, then you may want to use the bike leg to gain as much time as you can, as the difference on the run will be minimal anyway. If you're a strong runner, then stay a bit more conservative on the bike, so you can use that strength to your advantage.

If your situation, I would say do a few bricks where you go near race pace/distance and see how hard you can push it and still run well.
2013-02-19 6:32 AM
in reply to: #4627526

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
spearit - 2013-02-18 6:50 PM

Leegoocrap - 2012-07-20 9:40 AM Start hard. TT the swim... it's not long enough to "hurt" you later on. On the bike I'd be looking to cook myself... again, a TT pace without the final *kick* at the last mile. The first few minutes of the run will probably feel like the castle is crumbling, but if you make it past that you should smooth out into your normal race pace and finish strong.

This ^^^^^ is great advise IMO.   Also I'd eat a gel on the run out before mounting the bike and another gel coming out of T2. Ideally, I'd do a sprint pace and distance bike-to-run brick NOW to learn just how fast you can go at the sprint distance pace. "In a sprint tri EVERY second counts".

I don't eat anything in a sprint race, trying to jam 2 gels in just sounds like a good way to get GI issues.

2013-02-19 8:23 AM

User image

Marshfield Wi

Another huge difference maker in a sprint is the importance of fast transitions!

I gain a lot of spots by getting the He:: out of transition. Seconds matter in a sprint.

2013-02-19 10:01 AM
in reply to: #4627185

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
TriMike - 2013-02-18 3:48 PM
JohnnyKay - 2013-02-18 2:10 PM

100-125 yds may be OK.  You're going to have to slow down at the dismount line anyway so a few seconds of 'spinning out' should be fine.  2-5min is certainly excessive and you are much better off spreading out your effort more evenly over the ride.  If it helps your running to raise your cadence, you can do that towards the end of the ride but without backing off your power output (as others suggested above).

But, to answer your question, you should not lose any time even if your legs feel dead.  Odds are you will actually be able to run just as fast and your legs will feel 'awake' a minute or two into the run.  My biggest problem is usually starting out too fast while my legs have that dead feeling--they 'seem' to be moving slowly to me even though I am actually running much quicker than I think.  That's partly why practicing transitions is useful for short course (and relatively less important for long course).

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sprint Tri Bike leg strategy: What do you do? Rss Feed  

of 3