General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nutrition Questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-07-20 11:11 AM

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: Nutrition Questions

Quick backstory:

I have been tracking workouts/calories burned and intake since the beginning of the year.  According to my two independent tracking programs (and they agree) I have been buring around 1300 more A DAY than taking in.  I am maticulous.  Even if I did cheat 300-500 calories a day (which I don't), I would still be losing 2 lbs a week.  But I haven't lost an ounce in 3-4 months.

SO, the last week or so, I decided to cut it 1000 calories more (now I take in 1500 instead of 2500 and burn 3500).  That seems to have kickstarted things a bit.

But here is my concern and questions.  I can handle the low calorie diet discomfort (of being hungry) BUT, I'm concerned that now I am not getting a balance diet.  It's difficult to take in enough protein, fruits, veggies, carbs, etc if I can only eat 250-300 calories 5-6 times a day (I know I don't need to get each at every meal, but it's still hard).

Is there any suggestions on making sure I get what I need in my but NOT the calories?  Being low on calories is fine, but not if I'm not getting the nutrients I need.

2012-07-20 11:20 AM
in reply to: #4321924

User image

Master
Falls Church, VA
Subject: RE: Nutrition Questions

Here is what I do.

I take a supplement called Athletic Greens. You drink it first thing in the morning and you know you are getting proper nutrition in.

Now, I know people will say you should get nutrition from food, you don't need supplements. Ideally that would be best, but this way I know I am getting in nutrition without having to track, or if i am cutting back on calories.

2012-07-20 11:35 AM
in reply to: #4321952

User image

Sensei
Sin City
I'll look for it.  I would also say that I would prefer to get my nutrition from foods.  But if you are not eating enough food for calorie reasons,  you have to make it up somewhere.
2012-07-20 1:27 PM

User image

Colorado Springs, Maryland

When I see something like this I have several questions.

1. How tall are you and how much do you weigh?

2. You have not lost weight but have you checked your measurements, have you been switching fat for muscle?

lastly...

3. What are you eating besides fruits veggies and lean protein?

If you are taking in sauces and simple carbs, that can take a good portion of your calories that should be going to food if you are taking in that little each day. Also, as you get smaller you have to lower your intake to keep burning the same amount off.

jmo

2012-09-01 9:12 AM

User image

Master
Saskatchewan

After being shocked by changes, the body adjusts to it's new norm. If you have maintained the same caloric input for so long, the body will learn how to survive on it, your metabolism will adjust and weight loss will plateau.  Just like if you run the same 3 miles on the same terrain at the same speed every single day, your body will get efficient at running 3 miles, but you won't become a better runner. We know that varying the intensity and length of cardio sessions improves cardio. The same is true of nutrition.

Cycling calories and carbs is an effective way to manage weight loss. It will, however, be an adjustment to your formulaic approach. Just google "zig zag fat loss" or "carb cycling for fat loss" and you'll find tones of information.

Instead of going into starvation mode (3500 burn a day is extreme), find a weekly burn goal and vary your eats to accomplish it. With respect to nutrition and nutrients, it's important to pay attention to the ratio of fat to carbs to protein. And, those ratios can change daily. If I am doing a long bike ride, I'll eat and drink more carbs before, during, and after making a high carb day and high calorie intake day. On rest days, I tend to eat much more protein and don't need as many carbs.

Good luck!

Edited by marina 2012-09-01 9:13 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nutrition Questions Rss Feed