General Discussion Triathlon Talk » jogging strollers that aren't BOBs??? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-07-20 2:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny
Subject: jogging strollers that aren't BOBs???
I have started looking for a jogging stroller. I have a 3 yr old and a baby. (But I don't want a double.) Looking on craigslist and other sites, I am finding a lot of jogging strollers that are not BOBs or Chariots or others I have seen recommended here. Does anyone have a non-BOB jogging stroller they like? I don't want to get one if I won't like it enough to use! For example, I have seen a Baby Trend jogging stroller, and a Jeep one for sale, both for around $75. Are these worth it? Or avoid?

Thanks!
Rebecca

2012-07-21 10:59 AM
in reply to: #4322388

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: jogging strollers that aren't BOBs???
I have checked out the jeep strollers and in my opinion they aren't even close. We have the single BOB Revolution and double SUS and they are both great. I have put hundreds (possibly over 1000) of miles on them and they're still going strong.
2012-07-21 1:15 PM

User image

Bronze member

http://strollervillage.com/Product_35/Schwinn-Hope-Swivel-Jogging-Stroller.html

I just bought this Schwinn jogging stroller from someone on craigslist this spring for $75.  I have used it several times to go for walks and runs with my daughter who is 4. I really thought we were beyond the stroller phase but she can't keep up with the family. Since she is 4 I didn't want to put a lot of money into an expensive stroller when (hopefully) she will be growing out of riding soon.

So far I have been very pleased with it. It rolls smooth, pushes easily, steers on a dime, and can take on all terrain. It has a plastic sheild you can let down so the child stays dry in wet weather, cup holders, basket to carry your stuff. I even pushed it on a trail run the other day with both of my kids (6 year old son and daughter) riding. The two of them combined weigh close to 90 pounds. My daughter sat on my sons lap and they both said they were comfy.

It does everything I was looking for. My husband pushed it on a walk once and also loved it and commented on how easy it takes moving through grass or on the road.

Good luck!

2012-07-21 1:38 PM

User image

Expert
Tyrone, Georgia
To each his own, we have had BOB revolutions, Schwinns, Jeeps, etc but all have been sold/donated after I found the Chariot.  Great multi-functional unit with awesome customer service.
2012-07-21 3:14 PM

User image

Expert
Livermore, Ca
Maybe a Burley; It will double as a bike trailer.

It does seem that everyone has a BOB. We've had two, a single and double. They are one of the best products on the market.
2012-07-21 6:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

One other thing to add- I rarely jog with the revolution.  Any stroller with a swivel wheel (even if it locks forward like the revolution does) will not be quite as good as the kind with the fixed front wheel that's further forward.

Of course, that's a good thing and a bad thing.  If you think you will ever use the stroller not for jogging, a fixed wheel stroller is much worse for just walking around.

A brake is also a good feature to have, especially in a double jogging stroller.  Where we run there are some pretty decent hills and that thing would be really hard to keep under control without a brake!

Oh yeah, one other thing... we bought our double SUS used on CL for a great deal, and the previous owner threw in the drink holder/zipper pocket.  That thing is great for carrying a cold water bottle, cell phone, flashlight, goldfish, crackers, etc. in a place that doesn't have you constantly reaching into the basket underneath.

edit to add: we also got the weather shield, and using that with our kids bundled up in blankets we have been able to run in temps well below freezing and they stay nice and cozy.

Edited by wbattaile 2012-07-21 6:53 PM

2012-07-22 11:21 PM
in reply to: #4323355

trigal38 - 2012-07-21 1:15 PM

http://strollervillage.com/Product_35/Schwinn-Hope-Swivel-Jogging-Stroller.html

I just bought this Schwinn jogging stroller from someone on craigslist this spring for $75.  I have used it several times to go for walks and runs with my daughter who is 4. I really thought we were beyond the stroller phase but she can't keep up with the family. Since she is 4 I didn't want to put a lot of money into an expensive stroller when (hopefully) she will be growing out of riding soon.

So far I have been very pleased with it. It rolls smooth, pushes easily, steers on a dime, and can take on all terrain. It has a plastic sheild you can let down so the child stays dry in wet weather, cup holders, basket to carry your stuff. I even pushed it on a trail run the other day with both of my kids (6 year old son and daughter) riding. The two of them combined weigh close to 90 pounds. My daughter sat on my sons lap and they both said they were comfy.

It does everything I was looking for. My husband pushed it on a walk once and also loved it and commented on how easy it takes moving through grass or on the road.

Good luck!

If you want to choose a fixed front wheel jogging stroller that can even serve for marathon-duty terrain with affordable price for a first-buying, I think Schwinn Free Runner might worth to consider. Here's the link in case you need to find out more reviews: http://jogging-stroller-reviews.net/schwinn-free-runner-reviews/ Smile

2012-07-23 6:35 AM

Philadelphia
I have had a jeep jogging stroller that i wore out when my 4 year old was between 6 months and 3 years, and 2 baby trend strollers (one we still use) that i use for my 2 year old now.  I probably avg about 10-15 miles a week with the strollers, around 7:00-730/mile pace with them.  Pros...as mentioned the swivel wheel is GREAT for just walking around and everyday use, the tires properly inflated are smooth and easy to push, both folded down pretty easy (dont think any jogging stoller is really compact), tray for the kids to keep toys food or drinks.  Cons...bit rough over bumps while running, again as mentioned before even locking the swivel wheel in place there is still movement so there is a little work keeping it straight.  for us the swivel wheel feature has become more practical for everyday use for me to deal with the setbacks while running.  So not the best on the market but def practical   
2012-07-23 10:16 AM

User image

Mojave Desert

Granted I wasn't running far (3 or 4 miles) when my daughter was little, but we had an In-Step 10K that never had issues.  Once you lined up the front wheel, it tracked straight and true.  The brake worked well.  We even got a clear cover for it for the cold days as we lived in Denver at the time.  It also folded up nicely to fit in the trunk of a Jetta.

Take a look an see what they make now, but I wouldn't shy away from them just because they are sold at Target and such. 

2012-07-23 10:19 AM

User image

Mojave Desert
Oh and as far as the straight wheel, mine was balanced so I never had a problem leaning it back and lifting the wheel when needed.  If you need to steer around a slight bend, a little pressure on the handlebar usually was enough for slight adjustments.  My inlaws had one with a swivel wheel, and they liked it, but I preferred the non-swivel once I tried both.
2012-07-31 8:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny
Thanks for all the info! The search continues....

2012-07-31 8:44 AM
in reply to: #4323621

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny
wbattaile - 2012-07-21 7:50 PM

If you think you will ever use the stroller not for jogging, a fixed wheel stroller is much worse for just walking around.

Haha, our big, clunky around-town graco stroller has turned into a fixed wheel stroller. Kid said to dad, "Go fast, Daddy!" He did, hit something, and one of the wheels fell off. So he re-attached it, but it no longer swivels. We are used to lifting the stroller front for turns.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » jogging strollers that aren't BOBs??? Rss Feed