General Discussion Race Reports! » Wauconda Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Wauconda Triathlon - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Wauconda, Illinois
United States
Wauconda Park District
84F / 29C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 20m 17s
Overall Rank = 6/140
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 1/8
Pre-race routine:

Woke up about 3:10. Alarm was set for 3:30. Couldn't sleep so just got up and started getting ready/packed up stuff. Ate my usual oatmeal and had a small bagel as well. It's always fun waking up a 2-year old at 4am in a hotel and telling him it's time to go watch daddy race! Got to the race site around 445 and got marked/chipped. Got my transition all set up as good as it was going to get.
Event warmup:

Did a decent amount of stretching and then got bussed over to the swim start across the lake. Once there I swam a couple hundred yards and for some reason it just felt like even during that I was going fast already?
Swim
  • 28m 18s
  • 1760 yards
  • 01m 37s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim went real well. I was in the fourth and final wave for the oly distance. I had a great running start and no one ended up ever catching me from my wave. Passed tons of people from the previous three waves. Going out before the turn we were going straight into the sun so it made it very hard to sight for a while. There were tons of weeds at the start and especially towards the finish. Water was very clean and clear as well. I got lagged behind two people coming out of the water and had to wait for them to get outta my way. Cost me probably a good 10 seconds plus there was a good 100-150 yard run to transition which added to my swim time. Think I was really around 1:20 hundred yards in the water give or take a few seconds.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. I was pretty happy with my performance here. Perhaps push it harder next time. I could have went harder but, the last two tri's I did I held off a little in the swim since it's my strong spot to save for the bike.

Would also help if the two slow people infront of me on the ramp coming out of the water would have moved over. The ramp was only about 2.5 feet wide. Race people need to get something different for next year because it was a huge bottel neck.
Transition 1
  • 00m 44s
Comments:

Went way better than T2 haha. Felt like I ran a lot faster with my bike here and got a decent running jump start onto the bike. Got into my shoes better than anytime before while riding the bike.

Not much just try and go faster next time. I really need to practice my transitions more!
Bike
  • 1h 06m 23s
  • 24 miles
  • 21.69 mile/hr
Comments:

Did the best I've done so far in biking. Really was happy with this result. I was thinking this was going to be a tough course with the hills on it but I sped up the majority of them pretty well. The first loop I passed a few people and played cat and mouse with one guy and ended up passing him and never seeing him again. Second lap I passed a whole lot of people. Majority of them were doing the sprint. The road surface in areas was terrible imo and others it was great. I could have taken some of the corner/turns faster but, I'm still gun shy since I laid my bike down six weeks ago.

Not much. Took 1.5 gu's while on the bike. I think I pushed it as far as I dared considering the run was coming up and it was hilly.
Transition 2
  • 00m 56s
Comments:

What is the deal with me?!!? Second time in a row that I missed my rack by one rack! I did this two weeks ago and told myself it won't happen again. It did. What threw me off was that I was on the second to last rack. Should be easy. I got to the third to last rack and went down it because I couldn't see the final rack. They didn't put any bikes on the very first rack so I didn't pick it up. I still don't know why but good lord don't let it happen in two weeks at my sprint@! Could have gotten my shoes on a tad quicker but overall everything but me going down the wrong isle and having the turnaround (probably cost me 10-15 seconds) went well.

GO DOWN THE RIGHT RACK ISLE!!!
Run
  • 43m 58s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

Legs felt better than they have coming off the bike this time vs other times before. My right calf was a little tight but, I wasn't worried much about it. After the first mile it got hilly. I was figuring that my run was going to be horrendous with each new hill I had to tackle but once I crossed the finish line I had ran my fastest per mile in any tri i've done so far. Basicly 6:58 minute miles. I think if it would have been flat I could have went closer to 6:50's but, oh well. I didn't care for the water stations. All the water was warm and in tiny dixie cups so all you got was a small gulp. Really glad it was overcast for the majority of the run because if the sun was out they really would have needed more water stations.

Not much. Maybe try and incorporate more hills in my training. I get hills where I'm at but these hills were right along the lake and were just steep as heck!
Post race
Warm down:

Sprinted to the finish and then grabbed a water and gatorade. Walked around a bit and found my wife and kid. Grabbed some grub and just waited around forever to find out results to see if I placed in my ag. I got my time right away but, for some reason they are incapable of letting people know how they did with their peers. Very dissapointed with the timing company/ race people with this area. They could have posted up some form of results for the olympic people so that we knew who won and who didn't in their ag's!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My T2 time and possibly could have went harder on the swim. Getting stuck behind two slow people on the ramp out of the water. I almost yelled I'm here to race not walk but, thought better of it since they were probably having a blast.

Event comments:

It wasn't a bad race to do. I was just dissapointed how they did the swim start and the results. They did the waves every 3 minutes. I passed TONS of people on the swim. Why do you have 60+ year olds going infront of the younger faster swimmers? It just didn't make a whole lot of sense to me but oh well. We are all there to have fun. I was also dissapointed how they got overall race results out for the olympic. They got the sprint results out probably an hour before they did awards and there was tons of people still out doing the sprint course! That just really peaved me. A lot of people I talked to were upset like I was. I stayed for our awards ceremony and found out about 2 minutes before they started it that I got first in my AG and sixth overall. Most people weren't even there to pick up their medal for placing since they probably figure they didn't place. Again GET YOUR RESULTS UP FASTER!

Don't know if I'll do this race again or not. It was a good course and a very hard run.

Last updated: 2012-06-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:18 | 1760 yards | 01m 37s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/8
Overall: 4/140
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: It was in Bangs Lake, Wauconda, IL. A very weedy lake. Kind of a dog leg style. You go out diagonal from where the finish will be then a dog leg hard left and bring it on in.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:44
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:06:23 | 24 miles | 21.69 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/8
Overall: 15/140
Wind: Some
Course: Rolling hills and some decent straight-aways. Loop around the lake. Sprint distance did one loop we did two for the oly.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:56
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:43:58 | 06.21 miles | 07m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/8
Overall: 12/140
Course: Majority of it was on city streets kinda close to the lake area. Lots of HILLS from mile 2 through 4.5.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2012-07-22 7:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sterling
Subject: Wauconda Triathlon - Olympic Course

2012-07-22 7:38 PM
in reply to: #4324446

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: Wauconda Triathlon - Olympic Course

Nice job on this one! Heck of a swim there. Do you walk the transition area beforehand? Coming in like you would for each one? I almost did the same thing!

I think the start order has to do with the road closures and keeping that as short as possible to get permits. It'd make even more sense to get the sprint people out of the way so we're not all on the bike course together. Roads like Fairfield, 176, and Main St are the main roads through the area, and they are really blocked up by the race. I'd like it more if they could do something too, but not sure where to go as there is something in every direction.

2012-07-22 7:42 PM
in reply to: #4324488

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sterling

Yeah I go over the transition area half way decent.  Was just a mental lapse for me since there were not any bikes to spot on that first rack heh.

The waves make sense now that you say the road closures and such.  It wasn't really a big deal just a lot of people to pass.  How did you do?

2012-07-22 7:51 PM
in reply to: #4324503

Master
Northern IL
2nd overall in the sprint. 1st on the bike, so I'll take it. Course wasn't quite as crowded as I feared it could be. People moved over well when I called it out too.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Wauconda Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed