United States
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 02m 27s
Overall Rank = 2/196
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 2/15
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:00 am, got dressed, and ate some yogurt with oatmeal and protein powder mixed in. Headed to the race (45 min drive)
Event warmup:

A few laps around the parking lot before joining the procession of people to the race start.
Swim
  • 06m 33s
  • 437 yards
  • 01m 30s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim was last. I was pretty tired at this point, and I was worried a bit about my right calf cramping (as it did getting my bike shoes off). It was clear ahead of me entering the pool - so, I chose to dive in (trusting that I remembered how to dive with goggles from my swimming days). It didn't go exactly as planned: my goggles pulled down and my left calf cramped immediately. After surfacing, I reset my goggles (not a big deal) and then started to swim, attempting at the same time to work out my cramp. Within 50m I had the cramp worked out and settled in. I caught the guy in 4th and figured this was where I'd end up until I saw the guy in 3rd breast stroking two lanes over - so, I tried to bump up my pace a bit in an attempt to catch him and it paid off. I exited the pool and finished the race 3rd. However, the racer who finished first had apparently cut the bike course and was disqualified - landing me in 2nd overall.
What would you do differently?:

Practice diving with my goggles before trying it again in a race.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

T1 was a run to bike transition.

I ran to my bike from the run, stripped my running shoes off, put on my helmet, grabbed my bike, and ran to the mount line. I missed landing on my bike shoe for the mount, but it really didn't cost much at all. I just cranked another 1/2 stroke and got my foot on top of my shoe.

No splits were given from the timing company (bike time includes T1 time).

Nothing - overall, I was happy with the transition.
Bike
  • 34m 26s
  • 12 miles
  • 20.91 mile/hr
Comments:

This is a fun bike course. There is enough (hills, traffic circles, and turns) to keep you engaged and the surface is not that bad. I stayed on the aerobars as much as possible - coming out of them only for the traffic circles (in the down hill direction), the 90 deg turns, and the turn around.

Not much, overall I am happy with my effort here.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

T2 was a bike to swim transition.

I got on top of my bike shoes entering the parking lot, my right calf cramping in the process. I had a good dismount the line and ran my bike in to my rack. I removed my socks, helmet, race belt (forgot to do that in T1), sun glasses. Then, I grabbed my goggles and ran the LONG route to the pool.

No splits were given from the timing company (bike time includes T2 time).

Nothing - overall, I was happy with the transition.
Run
  • 21m 28s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

Nothing real special here. Based on some (flat) 5Ks I recently ran, I was hoping to get in under 21 min. But, I just couldn't keep the pace I needed on the slight incline after about mile 2.

Nothing, for my current capability, I ran a decent race. However, this race really highlighted for me where I need to improve... the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Caught my breath, ate some oranges / bananas, and drank some water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My run speed. I need to work on that...

Event comments:

A well organized race with tons of volunteers. My only gripe would be the lack of timing splits for T1 and T2.

Last updated: 2012-07-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:33 | 437 yards | 01m 30s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/15
Overall: 2/196
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri shorts and tri top
Course: Serpentine swim back and forth 4 times in a 50 meter pool. Each lane one way.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:34:26 | 12 miles | 20.91 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/15
Overall: 2/196
Avg HR: 149 bpm Avg Power: 224 W
Wind: Little
Course: An out and back course with rolling hills of various sizes. The course included two 90-degree turns on each leg and a few traffic circles to navigate.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 91
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:21:28 | 03.11 miles | 06m 54s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/15
Overall: 16/196
Performance: Average
Avg HR: 157 bpm
Course: Slight downhill along Rodeo Rd and some MUP until the turn around at mile 1.4. Then, slightly uphill along the MUP back to the transition area.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-07-23 9:56 AM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM
Subject: City of Santa Fe Triathlon

2012-07-27 4:27 PM
in reply to: #4325316

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: RE: City of Santa Fe Triathlon

Wow, nice job on getting 2nd! If i'd realized it was you I would have introduced myself.

As I was going out on Richards on the bike I heard the officials talking about the guy cutting the bike short. I agree that it was a great race course and I was really impressed with the number of volunteers blocking all of the streets on the bike. I also agree that split times for T1 and T2 would be nice, especially considering the fact that you basically cross that LONG transition 3 times during the course of the race.

Nice job and congrats!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » City of Santa Fe Triathlon Rss Feed