General Discussion Race Reports! » Music City Triathlon - Short Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Music City Triathlon - Short Course - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Nashville, Tennessee
United States
Team Magic, Inc.
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 07m 9s
Overall Rank = 29/524
Age Group = M 40-44
Age Group Rank = 3/58
Pre-race routine:

Half Bagel, cereal, the usual. We were way later than I like to be and was in a panic, very frutrating. Luckily it it Team Magic and they are never on time, so it bought me a few minutes.
Event warmup:

Ran to get jogger which I accidentally left in the middle of a parking lot 1/4 mile away... Unexpected warm-up.
Swim
  • 05m 32s
  • 300 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

I am amazed I did this well in the swim. I have swum 4 times this year, 3 times in races. Muscle memory and form is saving me. If I ever want to do longer distances I will need to swim because I am sure I have no endurance.
What would you do differently?:

Actually get in a pool once in a while.
Transition 1
  • 02m 28s
Comments:

Good T1. Was slowed down a little by a physically challenged athlete (no legs) after I came out of the water going accross a 1 person wide bridge (that's racing!), probably cost me 5-8 seconds. Otherwise I was very happy with my ability to run up the hill, get my suit and goggles off, glasses and helmet on and do a great flying start which got me past a bunch of traffic at the mount line.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 34m 2s
  • 13.09 miles
  • 23.08 mile/hr
Comments:

Overall a great bike, definitelly getting stronger. My goal of beating Jeffery Putt (beat me in Pulaski by 58 seconds) was accomplished as I crushed him by 2:20. Still need to do a little better on the hills and was also very concerned by all the mechanical issues I have been having, but I think I am on my way to getting back in form. Next time I do this >24!!

Just ride more, I am getting there. I also need to get down into the 160's, even if it is 169. This extra weight really hurts me on these hills. I am very confident if I lose 10 pounds it will pay huge dividends.

Took the queue of the guy in front of me and pulled my feet out of my shoes WAYYY too early, probably rode 1/2 mile on top of the shoes through the most technical part of the course. That probably cost me some time, but I really could not pass him at that point, so not sure if it would have mattered. It cost us bith time, and he finished 2nd overall in the race!

Transition 2
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

Good job jumping off the bike and running with it. Got back to T2 so far ahead of the people around me there was not a bke for racks 9I am getting used to that), but I did something I never do, I ran past my spot by a few racks and had to back track. Another 5-8 second loss (errrr....). otherwise, did a good job getting into shoes and hat and running with Garmin in hand and getting it on during run rather than when I was stopped.

Not make the uiltimate rookie mistake and miss my rack!!
Run
  • 23m 55s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

Overall a good run for me. As always i really struggled on the 3 really tough climbs (that 10 pounds I was talking about), did a good job descending the bridge and down to 1st, could have done a better job descending 2nd and accross the bridge, but really happy how I picked it up the last 1/2 mile around the stadium and sprinted the finish. Any sub 8 pace, 23:55 5k is good for me, especially at the end of a Tri on such a ridiculous course.

Lose that weight, I really feel it hurting me more and more as my personal expectations grow. Not only did I come off the bike in first in my AG, I was WAY in first (>minute). Missed second by 21 seconds and the guy in second out ran me by 3 minutes! i just need to somehow get to a 22 minute 5k in a Triathlon.
Post race
Warm down:

walked around, got food.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Weight and maybe not swimming enough. I feel I am physically where I need to be, I am just dragging an anchor.

Event comments:

Obviously this was a good race, I podiumed, finished 3rd out of 58 in AG and 29 out of 524 in race, pretty darn good for an old guy. Thankfully, I think I have a lot of room to improve, but overall i am really happy with where I am today. The best part, I had a ton of fun during the race and still thoroughly enjoy this sport!

Last updated: 2012-04-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:32 | 300 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/58
Overall: 95/524
Performance: Good
Suit: Blue Seventy Speed Suit
Course: Big triangle. They shortened it from the original course due to current, but I did not notice it to be very bad at all. bunch of wusses!!
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:28
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:34:02 | 13.09 miles | 23.08 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/58
Overall: 9/524
Wind: Headwind
Course: Pretty hilly, technical at the beginning and end, but 90% on a highway, so pretty straight.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:13
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:55 | 03.1 miles | 07m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/58
Overall: 110/524
Performance: Average
Course: OH MY GOD!!!! this is such a tought course. Huge bridge in the first 1/4 mile is so tough, then 1st avenue (end Mile 1, beg Mile 2) is a killer!! This course is hands down the most difficult Tri run course I have ever done. Oh yeaah, it is also really hot.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes