General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 New Orleans : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2013-04-24 6:45 PM
in reply to: #4713986

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Arkansas
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 New Orleans : Official Thread

odpaul7 - 2013-04-24 5:29 PM We were supposed to get hats?!?! I would have wanted one!!!

Every other WTC 70.3 or 140.6 event I've done has given out finisher hats. Not sure why they didn't do it here. 

As a related note. The race caps for sale for this event were the coolest ones I've seen. Great colors and piping and they have velcro straps. I think the visors even had velcro straps. I have previous visors where the elasticity wore out and they are unwearable.

2013-04-25 8:24 PM
in reply to: #4712117

Lisa: Such fun to meet you while waiting to jump into the day. Glad you enjoyed theRace so much. I didn't realize how choppy it was until I got out. Liked the bike( improved over NOLA 2009 by 30 min. So I was happy. Not happy when I came back toTransition and someone's bike was covering my #. After more searching it occurredTo me that I could look for my Running shoes, DUH! Anyway, while I was protected fromSunburn by compression sox and Arm Coolers, I got Heat Rash on my chest, boo.Can't figure out how to solve that. Anyway, I loved this forum and would use it again.Have a great season, and HIRE someone to cut your grass. You are a 1/2 Ironman withAll the various rights and privileges. You Rocked it. All the best ! Marie
2013-04-26 2:28 PM
in reply to: #4327008

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Arkansas

Here is Trevor Wurtele's race report. He finished 2nd overall, just 5 seconds back. What a race he and Raelert had.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9smKg1w58w4&feature=player_embedded

2013-04-26 3:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Vicksburg

Marie: Ha! I have used the "But I'm Half an Ironman now" excuse plenty. It hasn't gotten me anywhere. So much for rights and privileges. Actually I only mowed because my husband said he wouldn't have time before leaving for NOLA and with all the rain we've had... well that just would have been embarassing to come home to. You had a great bike split! Enjoyed chatting with you and hope we meet up again somewhere.

Love Wertele's race reports!

2013-04-27 11:04 AM
in reply to: #4716689

Lisa: if you are not getting enough respect for being a 1/2 Ironman, maybe you cd start wearingThe Medal 24/7! (LOL). Tks about my bike split. I improve my bike by 32 min. From NOLA2009 , so was pleased. Anyone else besides me, just feeling fully recovered yesterday (Fri)??I'm now psyched to plan my Racing Season.... Anyone doing Any Colorado races, please let meKnow. Love to get together. Lisa: Any more 1/2 's in your near future?... I think it's timeTo get some REAL swim lessons, continue to improve on the bike for me, so that I cd actuallyRUN the Run. ( silly Gma ). [email protected]. Best! Marie
2013-04-29 12:22 PM
in reply to: #4717176

User image

Was I just missing something, or did anyone else have the bike aid stations located at miles 14, 39, and 50?  Didn't the athlete guide say that they would be at 14/28/42?  I know that I was hard up for nutrition/fluids at mile 28, and would've liked a handup.  I kept waiting to see the aid station, but I either missed it or it wasn't there. 

If they're not going to have an aid station at 28, that's fine, just tell me so that I can plan for it.  Don't tell me there will be one at 28 and then not have it until 39.  Also, why in the world would you have an aid station at mile 50 of a 56 mile course?

2013-04-29 1:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Vicksburg

Yeah I meant to ask about that, too. Noticed the 50 station on the way out and wondered who would need it then. I had planned to get a water at 28. Good thing it wasn't warmer and I wasn't desperate for it.

Also, I was one of a handful of people wearing race numbers on the bike. That was the first time I saw it was required in a race so I did it. And it was annoyingly flapping. A friend said that in the athlete meeting he attended, someone asked about it and the speaker said "oh you don't have to wear it if you don't want to". Wasn't mentioned in my group. Also saw several people on the run with earbuds. Passed two guys with iphones on their bikes -one of which almost swerved into me while fiddling with his. Lots of people dropping their trash on the road. People with buckets & totes in transition and their stuff sticking way out of the rack. An official came by and he didn't say a word to anyone around me about their stuff. Just wondering if this is normal? The rules are only for first-timers like me that don't know it's really not that strict? I believed them when they said they would hand out penalties.

2013-05-03 12:10 PM
in reply to: #4719398

User image

Expert
runswithcrazydog - 2013-04-29 1:54 PM

Yeah I meant to ask about that, too. Noticed the 50 station on the way out and wondered who would need it then. I had planned to get a water at 28. Good thing it wasn't warmer and I wasn't desperate for it.

Also, I was one of a handful of people wearing race numbers on the bike. That was the first time I saw it was required in a race so I did it. And it was annoyingly flapping. A friend said that in the athlete meeting he attended, someone asked about it and the speaker said "oh you don't have to wear it if you don't want to". Wasn't mentioned in my group. Also saw several people on the run with earbuds. Passed two guys with iphones on their bikes -one of which almost swerved into me while fiddling with his. Lots of people dropping their trash on the road. People with buckets & totes in transition and their stuff sticking way out of the rack. An official came by and he didn't say a word to anyone around me about their stuff. Just wondering if this is normal? The rules are only for first-timers like me that don't know it's really not that strict? I believed them when they said they would hand out penalties.

Yea the bike aid stations were abysmal.  Perfect place for an aid station would have been just after the turnaround.  But mile 39?  And yea the mile 50 one was strange too.   Run stations were great, the bike stations were a joke. 

I wore my number on the bike as I am required to do in all WTC events.  I actually did attend an athlete briefing (for the first time ever) and they didn't say anything about the number.  

enjoy,

Duane 

2013-05-30 9:33 AM
in reply to: Duanerice

New user

Looking for some suggestions/hints/tips/tricks for this event from the current people that just completed.

I am signing up to have this be my first 70.3 event and I am aware that it is 10 months away but I wanted to check with people before too much time passes and appreciate the ideas and suggestions.

I have made hotel reservations at the Hilton New Orleans Riverside and appears to be near the finish line and Bourbon St. for celebrations afterwards.

I have never been to New Orleans and would appreciate all help especially with the event and then some suggestions also what to do for afterwards.

I wanted to check and see if it was wet-suit legal and also for people that reside there if typically to expect the event to be wetsuit legal...

I can see in some of the current race reports that the swim location change was beneficial and hopefully they keep it there eventhough the main issue was the "fuel" ordor since in the harbor.

I appreciate your help and look forward to finishing my training...going to build up a great base and build it up over the winter for this event.
2013-05-30 11:31 AM
in reply to: slfontana5

User image

Veteran
Vicksburg
Yes it was wetsuit legal. Water temp was 68*. From what I have read, you have at least a 75% chance of it being wetsuit legal at that time of year. There was a noticeable L to R current from the entry to the first buoy and navigation was a little confusing after the first turn, but other than that the swim was fine. For the bike, I would ride in wind when possible (rather than trying to avoid it). That area is always windy. It wasn't dangerously windy by any means, but early season many people have been riding trainers without wind conditions and I noticed some riders having difficulty. The run was flat for the most part just a few bridges. No shade at all though so pack a hat and sunscreen!
2013-05-31 10:41 AM
in reply to: slfontana5

User image

I'd pass on the Hilton Riverside if it was me. I'd go with the Marriott on Canal street. It's closer to the finish line by about 50% (which is a big deal after 70 miles), and an easy walk over to the Hilton for checkin/packet pickup. Closer to the Quarter and cheaper (at least it was in 2013). I've done both, and would stay at the Marriott again over the Hilton.

2013-05-31 12:00 PM
in reply to: cfib

New user

Thanks, the Marriott is more expensive $319 @ night vs Hilton $199 at least for now when I called that is what they quoted me over the telephone.

Being closer would be nice...but not at that cost.
2014-04-15 11:08 AM
in reply to: cfib

New user

Rowlett
I got dehydrated on the bike and I've been going over my race data to work out why? I planned carefully but looking at my data I couldn't understand why. Now it's clear. I was expecting to pick up water and Perform at Aid Station 2 (which I'd planned to expectd at mile 28). I ran out of fluids at mile 27, on plan, and it seemed to take an age to get to the aid station - I was going at my limit and had no real room for a fluids gap. ... Now it all makes sense!

By the time I got to Aid Station 2 I was already suffering the effects of dehydration and it's very difficult to recover from that condition. I picked up water and Perform and tried to start making up the fluid loss, but it was too late - I was cooked.

Now I've reviewed the race data in detail it suddenly became clear that Aid Station 2 wasn't where it was supposed to be (according to the athlete guide) and I didn't see any information that it got moved. I completed Ironman 70.3 Texas last week in very similar temperature/wind although at New Orleans I was aiming for 5-8BPM greater effort on the bike (which my data and training said I should be easily capable of without harming my run).

I was in a bad state and slowly managed to get back to Transition but the EMT checked me over and declared a "volume problem (with fluids)" and a BP of 100/60. Race over. No run. I convinced myself I must have just misjudged my nutrition/hydration strategy but it's clear that the gap in fluids from mile 26 to mile 39 caused my dehydration.

Here's my suggestion for what got screwed up. Looking at the GPS map, Mile 28 would have been three miles up Highway 90 on the left side from the split with Highway 11 . It was actually at 3 miles up Highway 11 on the left (driving away from transition). Did whoever located the Aid Station just put it on the wrong road????

I think it's reasonable to expect some kind of official explanation.
2014-04-20 1:16 PM

New user

Terrible organization! No transportation from hotel to Transition with bike Saturday. Only option ride 11 miles or rent car. Race morning no food at hotel nor at transition area. No sun tan lotion on course! No fruit on course! Water stations were not accurately placed on the bike course. (Mile 20, 35, 48). Run course was good but no fruit. Shuttle drove back to Transition area. Had to ride bike back to hotel. No shuttle and no taxi service, due to not taking bikes.
2014-04-21 10:21 AM
in reply to: ymurphy10

User image

This is the 2013 race thread btw. Anyway as to aid station placement and fruit (I don't eat it but the guide did say they'd have it), I agree As to the rest, you knew all that going in re the transport. At least I did from reading the guide, Facebook page etc. . Thankfully a friend rented a car otherwise we would have been cabbing it. Transport was not an undisclosed secret. And one reason why, while I enjoyed the race, would never do it again. Interesting theory on aid station 2 two posts above though. Although from reading this 2013 thread, seems they just out it at 40 every year
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 New Orleans : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 13