General Discussion Triathlon Talk » So what are your thoughts on physical activity other than SBR? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-07-24 11:33 AM
in reply to: #4327081

User image

Master
Grand Prairie
Subject: RE: So what are your thoughts on physical activity other than SBR?

Besides SBR:

play video games

fixin stuff around the house

private time with my wife Wink

2012-07-24 11:37 AM
in reply to: #4327371

User image

Master
Sin City

axteraa - 2012-07-24 6:05 AM So, 15 sessions of SBR + strength per week and you want to do more?  Do you sleep??  Tongue out

You misunderstood...12 hours of SBR...not sessions.

2012-07-24 11:54 AM
in reply to: #4327892

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
CyborgQueen - 2012-07-24 1:37 PM

axteraa - 2012-07-24 6:05 AM So, 15 sessions of SBR + strength per week and you want to do more?  Do you sleep??  Tongue out

Indeed I did, my mistake.

2012-07-24 11:54 AM
in reply to: #4327892

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
CyborgQueen - 2012-07-24 1:37 PM

Indeed I did, my mistake.

2012-07-24 12:31 PM
in reply to: #4327766

User image

Master
Sin City
noelle1230 - 2012-07-24 8:40 AM

It really all comes down to priorities.  It sounds like you're missing things you used to do that aren't SBR.  To me, that should make you question how you decide to spend your time and have a heart to heart with your coach.  That could still mean that in the end you realize your true passion is the competition and putting in 100% to SBR.  But maybe not.

This is the way I see it.  I do love triathlon but I don't love it more than weight training or teaching group bootcamp style classes, or teaching spinning, or how yoga and pilates make me feel.  So I divide my time up accordingly.  Does hitting a PR make me happy?  Sure.  But not as happy as having this really nice balance of activity in life.  Jack of all trades, master of none?  Sure, but I don't care.  I'm doing what I love, whether I'm the absolute fastest I can be or not.

I'm in no danger of becoming a super fast competitor or elite athlete.  Why would I give up other physical activities that make me happy to go from being an average triathlete to.....well.....still an average triathlete??  Again, this is just what works for me personally.  Think about what you really love, what really matters to you regarding how you spend your time and chase that because life is too short.

This post nailed it.   

I love cycling much more than swimming and running. I enjoy running, but mostly when I feel like it. :-P If I have a run planned, and someone posted about a cycling meetup, and whether it's long/short, I'll switch up my run, and do the group ride. 

I never feel that extra activities hurt SBR. In fact, I think it HELPS!  Either to mix things up a little bit, to stretch better, letting yourself loose, and basically just having fun. 

Edited by CyborgQueen 2012-07-24 12:35 PM
2012-07-24 12:45 PM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
I s/b/r and try to do strength 2x a week. Other then that I really dont do much. Time and risking getting injured are 2 main factors for me. In the Fall & Spring I play in a co-ed touch football league but thats it. Also, I am now usually the quarterback half the game to limit my time on the field where I could possible get injured and not be able to s/b/r

2012-07-24 2:04 PM
in reply to: #4327860

User image

Regular
Las Vegas, NV
KansasMom - 2012-07-24 9:21 AM

Ditto. Deb, you seem to spend a lot of time questioning what your coach tells you to do. You are paying him/her; you need to do what your coach says, or you need to drop him or her and go it on your own or find another one. I suppose there's a middle ground where you try to negotiate, but if I were a coach (which I'm not), and I had a client questioning everything I asked him/her to do, I would be pretty frustrated and would be wondering what the client was paying me for. Smile

That's why I come here, I never question anything she says directly, she says jump, I say how high and where into lol

And yeah CQ knows my schedule as well I do lol

Was reading the comments in my phone this morning but I can't type that much on the phone and had to be off to swim.  That's the thing, I want to do 20 hours of group classes and 20 hours of SBR  I mainly got a coach not to motivate me but to hold me back and she's doing that wonderfully lol  Months later up to 50 miles on the bike, 8 miles on the run, 2400m drills, thinner, leaner, lighter, and more muscular, my shoulder tear is LOADS better because the strength training built up the muscles around it to the point that I now use that arm to open doors and carry grocery bags and I can extend fully to grab the kickboard properly, and quite a bit less body fat, but most importantly, brilliantly injury free and loving every second of it.

That's why when I get the itch every time I know if I just take.... one.... class....., that's just going to escalate into 20  Took a trip to Israel to where I physically was unable to take classes to break me from them.  I was taking 2-4 per day every day, 20-25 per week (and loving every second of it).  It was my exercise, my socializing, etc.

A previous coach (who wanted to do years of Sprints and Olys before an IM which is why I switched) did get me hooked into having a coach and said something brilliant:  If you're going to do what you want, why are you going to pay a coach.  If you pay a coach, then do what they say.

It's just like an old lover who was bad for you but who lingers in your memory for years after the breakup  Some days are just harder to get through than others lol  I was in a bathroom at a gas station in the middle of a long ride and I totally broke out into a dance that lasted over a minute (I WAS wearing headphones, one bud out, and yes that's a whole other thread).

I suck at SBR.  But I want to put in months and  years of training and get better.  But I love the training itself.  But if I have to choose, I choose SBR as primary with everything else secondary, at least for now.

Edited by GatorDeb 2012-07-24 2:06 PM
2012-07-24 2:52 PM

User image

Regular
GatorDeb - 2012-07-23 10:53 PM

I pretty much gave up Zumba, TurboKick, and Spin completely.  ALL the physical activity I do now is SBR.  Right now I'm training for a HIM and I'm doing about 15 hours a week (which includes 3 strength training).  Coach doesn't like me doing any physical activity that's not SBR+strength train.

Then there's threads all the time about other stuff people do.

So what are your thoughts on the negative or positive effects of non-SBR physical activity on triathlon training?  If time and energy wasn't an issue.  Does it take away from recovery, etc.?

Directly - it probably won't help your performance in triathlon.

indirectly -  freshness and overall health might be good. helps keep the burnout away.

2012-07-24 6:00 PM

Veteran
41° 4' 36" N 71° 56' 10" W
I like to surf. I am going thru a phase right now where SBR training gets pushed off if there's good waves. But I think the surfing helps with swimming, and core.

I also love doing the stairs at the gym. Not sure why. But I really think it helps with my running and biking though.

2012-07-24 7:25 PM
in reply to: #4327353

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
GatorDeb - 2012-07-24 8:56 AM

I'm up to 50+ mile rides and 8 mile runs and 2k swim sessions, so I don't know if I'm still base building....  I started training Monday 1/2/12 so it's been over six and a half months.

Coach says to go ahead and do what we want, but it's better this way.  I just miss it so much sigh  I know it's better this way but my heart aches for Zumba, TurboKick, and Spin  I would NEVER swap, though, only add on to the 12 SBR + 3 strength I'm currently doing per week.  I

You need to do what you enjoy and what makes you feel good. If that means  doing a zumba class then do it.

Hell with your coaches reasoning you can put a zumba or any of thoses other classes in place of some of your strength sessions because the benefit, in SBR terms, of those is questionable. Why not swap something with a questionable benefit for something else with a questionable benefit but gain something positive from the enjoyment you get from doing it.

2012-07-24 7:30 PM
in reply to: #4327879

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
timf79 - 2012-07-24 12:33 PM

Besides SBR:

play video games

fixin stuff around the house

private time with my wife Wink

hmmmm you are going to have to cut that out if you want to be a triathlete.

2012-07-24 10:37 PM
in reply to: #4328800

User image

Regular
Las Vegas, NV
qrkid - 2012-07-24 5:25 PM
GatorDeb - 2012-07-24 8:56 AM

I'm up to 50+ mile rides and 8 mile runs and 2k swim sessions, so I don't know if I'm still base building....  I started training Monday 1/2/12 so it's been over six and a half months.

Coach says to go ahead and do what we want, but it's better this way.  I just miss it so much sigh  I know it's better this way but my heart aches for Zumba, TurboKick, and Spin  I would NEVER swap, though, only add on to the 12 SBR + 3 strength I'm currently doing per week.  I

You need to do what you enjoy and what makes you feel good. If that means  doing a zumba class then do it.

Hell with your coaches reasoning you can put a zumba or any of thoses other classes in place of some of your strength sessions because the benefit, in SBR terms, of those is questionable. Why not swap something with a questionable benefit for something else with a questionable benefit but gain something positive from the enjoyment you get from doing it.

Oh, my strength training is the one thing I would keep even over the SBR.  I had a shoulder tear pre-training and the surgeon said to put surgery off for now since it doesn't bother me that much and to only have it when I can't stand the pain any longer.  I didn't use the left arm to hold grocery bags, open doors, sling my purse over it, etc.  The strength training strengthened the muscles around the tear and now I use both arms to open doors, carry many heavy bags, sling stuff over, hold my kickboard correctly, etc.  I have a wider range of motion with less pain (I always had 100% range of motion with pain).  Now I feel it twinge maybe 5% of the time and I use it more heavily than before (the surgeon said to SBR to my heart's content, there was nothing really I could do to make it worse, and if it something hurt, don't do it, which is what I was already doing anyway).  Only one strength training exercise has hurt so far, and that is punching across my chest with weights.  That crossing motion kills the shoulder.  I can even use the sitting crunching machines and I couldn't due to pain before.  Strength training has been one of the best things that has happened to my quality of life

Edited by GatorDeb 2012-07-24 10:38 PM
2012-07-24 10:45 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
do what you want.  you shouldn't limit your activities around your training; its training, the effort you put out is more important than anything else.  SBR is such a versatile combination its hard to say that any one physical activity you do would be detrimental to all three and shouldn't be done.  its more important if you are serious about tri's to get in the rhythm of a good training routine and then add other activities from there.  you still get everything you need SBR-wise, but you get to add in some other things you enjoy.
2012-07-25 12:35 AM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
XC skiing in the winter is great at building the engine. Skate technique helps more with cycling and classic more with running. Its a great way to embrace winter IMO.
2012-07-25 8:32 AM

User image

+X to doing what makes you happy.  Most of us here aren't pros, this is a hobby.   Sure it's a balance, but don't let it detract from other things that make you happy in life.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » So what are your thoughts on physical activity other than SBR? Rss Feed  

of 2