Overall Rank = 172/198
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 9/14
Swim
  • 08m 55s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 02s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swam great, at least twice as fast as I do in training. Anticipated it taking 30 minutes. Went by really fast. Was easily in the top 50% in terms of technique. Overall rank was 120/198 (60%).
What would you do differently?:

Don't stop as much. If I bump into people, try to keep going. Swim into shore more.
Transition 1
  • 03m 49s
Comments:

No wetsuit to take off. Used water squirt bottle to rinse my feet off before putting on socks, which worked really well. Had to sit down to put on socks and shoes. I don't even remember taking off my cap and goggles, but I know I wanted to wait until I entered the transition area. Had my race bib pinned to my SPI belt, which worked great.
Bike
  • 53m 58s
  • 12 miles
  • 13.34 mile/hr
Comments:

Some newbie passed me on the right, which was disconcerting (and illegal). Called out when cars were approaching or I was passing, but most people didn't see to do that. Overall rank was 147/198 (74%). Freezing half a bottle of Gatorade works well. Went through nearly two bottles. Took a few miles before I felt like my breathing recovered from the swim.

Need more leg strength for hills and speed. Need to get cadence sensor fixed (and figure out how to see it on Garmin).
Transition 2
  • 01m 26s
Comments:

Love my Yankz! Made putting on running shoe pretty fast. Not ready to ride with feet on shoes and jump off moving bike. That sounds super scary. Racked bike easily though. Also stopped for a drink. Complimented on my pink bandana. :)

Was a light rain, but kept my sunglasses on. Ended up tossing them to Mom when I saw her. Maybe I should have taken them off in transition. Although if the sun had come back out, I would have been glad to have them.
Run
  • 33m 14s
  • 2 miles
  • 16m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

Didn't expect it to be uphill. Had side stitch for first half and walked a lot. Tried to squeeze it and take deep breaths, but my breathing was pretty shallow and hard. Based on the amount I walked and my overall pace, I must have run pretty fast. Summary: I was fast, but felt awful?

Figure out if I can cycle through the Garmin screens to get pace info. What's the deal with side stitch?
Post race
Warm down:

Post race swim. Didn't do much stretching. Ate half a chicken sandwich and most of a banana.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Need to do more speed-related training. Otherwise, did pretty good for my first time and way better than I expected (particularly on the swim). Would be faster if I could swim non-stop.

Event comments:

Nothing much to compare it to, since it was my first time. But overall fun. Very inspiring to see all those fit women participating in something so few people do.

Women-only event. On Sunday, they do a bigger event. Planning for that next year. Should do some training runs on that trail to be better prepared for next year.

Last updated: 2012-06-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:55 | 440 yards | 02m 02s / 100yards
Age Group: 9/14
Overall: 14/198
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri suit
Course: Shallow enough to stand up and walk when needed
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:49
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:53:58 | 12 miles | 13.34 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/14
Overall: 14/198
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Half mile of the last .75 mile was a 6% climb. That was unexpected and very hard. Seemed like most competitors were caught off guard and struggling.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:26
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good