General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wearing a wetsuit on a non-wetsuit-legal swim - do I need to say something? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-07-27 9:01 PM
in reply to: #4334739

User image

Expert
Southern Pines, NC
Subject: RE: Wearing a wetsuit on a non-wetsuit-legal swim - do I need to say something?
E=H2O - 2012-07-27 5:40 PM

DrPete - 2012-07-27 2:20 PM For the n+1th time, I CAN COMPLETE THE DISTANCE WITHOUT A WETSUIT. That is not the question. I still prefer to wear it, but might not anyway.

If it is a wetsuit legal race then wear it if you wish. If it is not a wetsuit legal race don't wear it.

You said in your original post:

"I'm still relying a bit on my wetsuit in open water when things get a little chaotic. "

So it's not about completing the distance, but completing the race. If you don't need to wear it then don't unless you don't want to lose time to others in your AG (even if you are only MOP). People's "reliance" on a wetsuit for other than dealing with cold water, causes open water swimmer's heads to explode when they hear it. On the other hand, the only time I did not wear one in a wetsuit legal race I dropped enough places on the swim leg that I never did it again.

I think wearing a wetsuit in 84° water is just asking for trouble unless you are at 2% body fat. Frankly,you haven't given one good reason to wear one, but you have identified a couple of reason's why you shouldn't wear one.

I guess "rely" was a loaded word that I didn't know would set off open water swimmers... I do drop places when I don't wear a wetsuit, though. So this is a race with water temps in the tweener range, the podium is not in sight since I'm not tapering, etc., and overheating in a Speedtube really isn't an issue, even in warm water. I'm thinking since this is a low-priority race I'll just use it as good training in non-wetsuit swims, but in the event that I don't want to just make things harder I might still bring out the speedtube. We'll see.

2012-07-27 9:16 PM
in reply to: #4335048

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Wearing a wetsuit on a non-wetsuit-legal swim - do I need to say something?

I totally know where you're coming from and after years and years of racing I only did my first non-wetsuit swim a few weeks ago and it totally freaked me out.    Now's the time to pop your cherry, sorry that's so graphic but...  I think you can do it.

But, if you want to wear the suit (which I get) I would talk to the RD pre-race FOR SURE.

2012-07-28 7:27 AM
in reply to: #4335048

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune
DrPete - 2012-07-28 4:01 AM 

I guess "rely" was a loaded word that I didn't know would set off open water swimmers... I do drop places when I don't wear a wetsuit, though. So this is a race with water temps in the tweener range, the podium is not in sight since I'm not tapering, etc., and overheating in a Speedtube really isn't an issue, even in warm water. I'm thinking since this is a low-priority race I'll just use it as good training in non-wetsuit swims, but in the event that I don't want to just make things harder I might still bring out the speedtube. We'll see.

I'm confused about your question: Ref. the title, you say it's a "non-wetsuit-legal race", that's not in the tweener range: You can't use a wetsuit and wearing one will get you DQed. The tweener range is "wetsuit permitted but not required".

So, is your question is: "should I ask permission or should I try to sneak it?" They may allow you to complete the race as a practice, but not registering your time if you ask. But then not, it's somewhat discouraging for other participants to see somebody with exceptions to the rules not knowing that you're actually DQed at the start. 

So sneak it or ask? I'd say neither, you don't wear a wetsuit in a non-wetsuit-legal race.

You say you drop places not wearing a wet suit, but you can swim the distance. Well, rules are rules, all suffer the same disadvantage from not wearing the wetsuit, why shouldn't you? Regardless that you're not in for a spot on the podium. 

If you can swim the distance without the wetsuit, don't wear a wetsuit, if you can't, don't race.

BR, Erik

2012-07-28 2:03 PM
in reply to: #4330883

User image

Pro
Burbs
Thanks! and good luck ! Cool
2012-07-28 3:38 PM
in reply to: #4334763

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX

Rickz - 2012-07-27 4:51 PM Do what you gotta do man, it's your race, not ours, do what makes you happy.

Not really how that works. I'd prefer a moped on the bike b/c that makes me happy.

To the OP,  If the rules allow it  in any form, then it's up to you the individual. If the rules don't allow it, then you just don't do it.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wearing a wetsuit on a non-wetsuit-legal swim - do I need to say something? Rss Feed  

of 2