General Discussion Race Reports! » Benaroya Research Institute Seafair Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Benaroya Research Institute Seafair Triathlon - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Seattle, Washington
United States
Beneroya Research Institute and SeaFair
68F / 20C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 44m 8s
Overall Rank = 272/369
Age Group = females 25-29
Age Group Rank = 11/22
Pre-race routine:

Got everything together in the Jeep except for my bike and went to bed early, couldn't sleep until 10 or so. Woke up at 4:15 am, had a flaxseed muffin in the car on the way to pick up Andy. My brother was with me the whole way. On site: filled tires, ate half a banana (probably too late by then). Great to have my brother there to take pictures and provide encouragement.
Event warmup:

Got in the water in my wetsuit about 30 minutes before the start of my wave. Really helped take the edge off.
Swim
  • 32m 6s
  • 1760 yards
  • 01m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

only panicked a little. really impressed with my ability to keep calm and keep swimming and focus on form. no problems with the swim cap for once, which was AWESOME.
What would you do differently?:

practice the swim more before my next race, work on more frequent sighting toward the end + swimming straight. i should also learn how to draft in a swim. overall extremely pleased - considering i just "learned" to swim in april and did my first OWS just two weeks ago!
Transition 1
  • 04m 37s
Comments:

socks were a bad idea coming out of the swim. darren was also a bit of a distraction at this point, talking and taking pictures when i knew i should have been moving.

focused! and maybe skipped socks on the bike portion, and lubed the edges of the wetsuit. i was only 30 seconds later than the girl before me at the overall finish, and she got me SOLELY by being faster in and out of the transition zone! (she finished her transitions more than 2 minutes before me)
Bike
  • 1h 05m 14s
  • 20 miles
  • 18.40 mile/hr
Comments:

definitely need to work on shifting, hills, and keeping higher cadence + speed. i was amazed at some of the riders that sped past me. i could tell i had only been on a "real bike" for two weeks and not training on the bike for 6-7 weeks before that. i still did well, thanks to marcia (my new specialized tarmac!) - i almost feel like i was cheating, riding her like that.

wear an HRM and keep a consistently high HR if possible. i was going at a "comfortable" lung pace for too much of this but my legs were kind of tired. overall i am really pleased. also would have eaten something earlier in the ride and not shoved anything in my mouth on my way to the run. also, i have the alerts on my FR70, but a bike computer that actually showed me cadence and speed would be really useful!
Transition 2
  • 02m 47s
Comments:

set up with a clear dismount, so couldn't really get out of the shoes early. darren not being there made this go much quicker.

jogged out of the transition zone!
Run
  • 59m 24s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

cramped a little in my side, def could not feel my legs. started to run out of steam at mile 4-4.5.

never run in a cycling jersey! bad idea. and lose weight to make it easier to go fast. also, my race chip/ankle band was WAY too tight and i was bleeding halfway through the run, which was a distraction. :) still, not a bad run for me.
Post race
Warm down:

walking around with the guys and getting that freaking bracelet off my ankle.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

food awkwardly timed, distractions in the transition zone. mostly i think i just need to train more. for my first tri, i'm really happy with the emotional control, smoothness, and overall performance. there's a lot to work on, but this was a great start.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2012-07-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:06 | 1760 yards | 01m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 17/22
Overall: 201/369
Performance: Good
Suit: blueseventy reaction (2011)
Course: two-loop triangle
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 66F / 19C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Bad Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:37
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:05:14 | 20 miles | 18.40 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/22
Overall: 252/369
Wind: Strong
Course: very heavy winds on I-90 and slopes in the tunnel both ways
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 64
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:47
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:59:24 | 06.21 miles | 09m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/22
Overall: 274/369
Course: big fat hill that slowed me to over 16 min/mile pace on the worst inclines. otherwise pretty, calm, lots of space for runners. wish the finish had been more visible.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %?
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2012-07-26 2:47 PM

User image

Subject: Benaroya Research Institute Seafair Triathlon - Olympic Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Benaroya Research Institute Seafair Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed