General Discussion Triathlon Talk » another question about post ironman return Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-07-26 8:41 PM

Subject: another question about post ironman return

hi everyone, i know someone posted about this a few posts back, but i too just finished IMLP and am trying to figure out how to get back into training. but i have a specific situation i was hoping someone could give me some advice about.

IMLP was my first ironman and I really enjoyed it. So far this week I have not done any workouts yet but am hoping to get back into it soon because I qualified for Kona so I don't have much time as it is on October 13. When would you recommend getting back into serious training? Or are there plans available online that I could follow? I'm a 23 year old med student (which is going to make it so hard to somehow train during my second year) but I want to somehow make it work because I can't pass up the opportunity. I don't really know many people who have done ironmans, so if anyone has some advice on how to recover and the same time not lose fitness and start to train again quickly, that would be great! Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks!! 

2012-07-27 9:48 AM
in reply to: #4332961

Subject: RE: another question about post ironman return
or any advice on post ironman recovery would be great!! 
2012-07-27 12:14 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

First off, congrats on the KQ!

It is difficult to say, since everyone recovers from an IM differently and I don't have any idea what your training looked like to prepare for LP.  But I would encourage you to start working out again this weekend.  Don't start with anything too hard or long.  Just get moving again.  From there, you probably just have to play it by feel.  Only push a little at a time at first (intensity and/or duration) and pay attention to how you feel during and after those efforts.  It can take some people a month to recover from their first IM.  You want to keep moving during that time, but don't want to dig yourself a deeper hole.  Your goal should probably be to get 1 or 2 'quality' blocks of training before tapering again for Kona.  You'll carry most of what you had for LP, so better to come up a little 'short' in your Kona prep than drive yourselff over a cliff.

Good luck!

2012-07-27 8:36 PM

Anyone sign up for two ironmans before completing one? (May/November)?
2012-07-27 8:54 PM

thanks for the advice! i really appreciate it! any more input welcome also. wanting to just get back on the horse right now!
2012-07-27 10:50 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
I usually do my taper weeks in reverse to slowly get back in the swing of things. But listen to what your body is telling you and take more time if you need to. Obviously having something like Kona to look forward to in October will help alot mentally to get you focused and out of any post Ironman funk. I did IM Canada last year (though nowhere near as fast as you) and was able to bounce back a have a good race at Rev3 Anderson about 6 weeks later using that strategy.

Congrats on your race at IMLP and have a great time at Kona!

2012-07-31 8:23 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Congrats on your KQ and obviuously a fantastic first IM.  If you KQ and can afford it I would strongly suggest getting a coach to help you.  there are a lot of online people who are very good and not too expensive and I think it will help you a lot.
2012-07-31 8:42 AM
in reply to: #4338765

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Socks - 2012-07-31 8:23 AM

Congrats on your KQ and obviuously a fantastic first IM.  If you KQ and can afford it I would strongly suggest getting a coach to help you.  there are a lot of online people who are very good and not too expensive and I think it will help you a lot.

Here's a tip... some coaches might even offer their services for free to coach an athlete who is going to Kona. It's a great resume builder for a coach. Mind you, you won't get a coach who has been coaching for years, but you can probably get someone who has been doing it 2-4 years. And their services would be better than nothing at all... probably. Ha!

Of course I say that, and the coach I had did more damage than good to me in my IM training this past year. *Snerk*

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » another question about post ironman return Rss Feed