General Discussion Race Reports! » Door County Triathlon - Half Iron Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Door County Triathlon - Half Iron Course - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Egg Harbor, Wisconsin
United States
Door Country Triathlon
74F / 23C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 38m 21s
Overall Rank = 679/1000
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 86/107
Pre-race routine:

The typical routine of waking up, scratching, and splashing some water on my face, I made my way to the coffee maker and helped myself to a nice mug-o-joe. With getting the kids up and ready, it was a bit more hectic than I'd like, but hey, it's a family event afterall. Toasted up a plain bagel and continued to sip on some water.
Event warmup:

We arrived and parked at Murphy Park around 6:10, so plenty of time, which is how I roll. We made our way to transition to get all set up. Being my first 1/2, I had to really think about my set up to be sure everything was where I wanted it. So I took my time and got everything all set and ready to go. After running into a friend from High School who was doing his first 1/2 as well, as well as some fellow Donkey's, it was time to walk down the start area where the kids could play at the park and just chill for a bit. I ended up going out and swimming a few hundred yards, which for me is a relaxer, as well as an opportunity to cool down a bit....felt good, and ready to go. One concern....still had not felt the need to use the facilities....hmmm. It was start time, so I lined up with the rest of Wave 8, and out we went.
Swim
  • 33m 24s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

With a swimming background, I typically can get a quick start, so typically I line up on the outside corner and 'beat' everyone to the first turn bouy....at least that is what I've done in the past. So I started on the left front corner. The horn sounded and off we went. There were some other strong swimmers in the wave and I just couldn't creep infront, so my plan was flawed from the beginning. At the first turn bouy to the right I had to cross the traffic, which caused me to get t-boned by folks who had not spotted correctly. By worked my way through and kept going. It seemed I was stuck in traffic for over half of the swim, and just couldn't break out. I ended up finding someone who was weaving through the group, so I jumped on his toes and followed. Finally...some open water and boom, otta here. By the final turn there were only a few individuals infront so it was strong finish. Was expecting my split to be about 38 minutes, so I was pleasantly surprised to see 33 minutes. I most certainly think if I put myself in a better position, I can easily trim a few minutes off of this time.
What would you do differently?:

Position better, consider inside starting position. Look for a draft sooner and take advantage of some the great athletes. BE PATIENT, find your opening and advance. No sense blowing out, it's a long day out there.
Transition 1
  • 02m 55s
Comments:

I had planned to take my time in the transitions and keep my wits about me. The last thing I could afford to do was be in a rush and forget something important. As an old coach once told me, "Be quick, but don't hurry."
Stingery waffle in my mouth while getting socks, shoes, helmet and glasses on, and away we go.

I was relatively pleased with this transition....just keep it simple and stay in motion.
Bike
  • 3h 04m 16s
  • 56.3 miles
  • 18.33 mile/hr
Comments:

I had not ridden the course, however knew some of the roads from growing up in the area. The course starts out along Bayshore Drive, which is shaded, flat, good surface, and fast. The one thing I didn't want to do is blow out right away, so I just kept telling myself to stay consistant. I was pacing well, averaging 3:00 miles, which I was fine with. My legs were telling me to GITTY UP, but my mind knew better. At mile 15 I had the pleasure of seeing my parents cheering on the side of the road, which I had anticipated....felt great to see family while out on the course. The roads at this point worsened, so I did slow down to be sure I was safe. As I'm not real worldly on the bike yet, I do need to stop to refill the aerobottle....just what works. So I did this at the 15 mile water station. As the course progressed I could tell I was getting past by man in my wave, which concerned me a bit, just again, I just wanted to race 'my race', so I kept on what I planned on doing. Everything was feeling great, and I smiled frequently knowing I felt good. Mile 44 - The Hill. Actually it's not all that bad, but a bigger hill is a bigger hill, and it pulled a little life out of me. From there, it's down hill and back on Bayshore Drive for the finish. My legs were still feeling good, my stomach though....something was happening..hmmm. Into transition I went with my family cheering away.

MORE FLUIDS
Transition 2
  • 04m 29s
Comments:

Um, yeah, I stopped for a bite to eat and......not really. I struggled to find my rack position, missed the row, then walked past the right spot...pretty much hosed this up every way possible.
Run
  • 2h 53m 14s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 13m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

I got off the bike and in T2 feeling decent. My legs felt really good in fact, but I had a haze about me I couldn't quite figure out, and my stomach was burpy. So off I went, grabed a gel and had my fuel belt on me with the HEED I had been training with. I saw my boys and in-laws coming out of T2, which was fantastic. I started off at a nice pace, but quickly realized my stomach wasn't going to cooperate. Nausea was going to be an issue, which flared up every time I started running. Solution: run/walk intervals. So this is what I did, the whole time. I saw my wife at mile 2.5 hollering away, so I had to run at that point (she wasn't aware I had been walking). I continued with the run/walk combination throughout the rest of run into town, up the hill, hydrating at every station possible, along with ice. However the ice did not seem to agree with me, causing cramping, so I stopped with that. Coming off of mile 8, I was heading to a very dark place, doubt settled in, even though I should not have. But, guess who was hollering up ahead? Yep, the Mrs., and believe me, she has volume! So I kicked into gear and kept plugging along. That's basically how the rest of the race went, finishing down hill the last 1/2 mile and see my family in the finish shoot.

Hydrate more on the bike, and continue to work on my overall conditioning.
Post race
Warm down:

I grabbed a water and gatorade and ended up laying in the shade for a bit. I was not feeling well at all, and was on the verge of becoming ill. After resting for a bit in the shade, I made my way to the water and cooled down. I felt much much better at that point. We packed up our stuff and headed.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I was concerned with my decreased workout load coming into the final month prior to the race d/t life, and I think that played a role. I think my nutrician plan was something I thought through but did not execute strictly enough on the bike, and it hurt me on the run. Live and learn.

Event comments:

DCT is an incredible experience, incredibly organized, and in a venue to die for. I certainly have things to improve on, which is a good thing, and we will be back next year and see what happens.

Maybe I need to take up my wife's idea of eating Oreo's for nutrician....seems to work for her!!!

Last updated: 2012-04-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:24 | 2112 yards | 01m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 14/107
Overall: 0/1000
Performance: Good
Suit: Full Sleeve
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:55
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:04:16 | 56.3 miles | 18.33 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/107
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: I guess you could consider it a stick and loop.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 04:29
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:53:14 | 13.1 miles | 13m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/107
Performance: Bad
Course: From Murphy Park north into Egg Harbor, down to the Marina, and back into some residential area. HUGE hill at mile 6, back through town and south, turning left at mile 9 to head up a GIGANTO HILL, then out into the sun for the final 5K, finishing downhill.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2012-07-27 2:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Germantown, 'Sconsin
Subject: Door County Triathlon - Half Iron Course

2012-07-27 9:05 PM
in reply to: #4334420

User image

Master
St. Louis
Subject: RE: Door County Triathlon - Half Iron Course
Nice job out there! I agree DCT is an awesome race with fantastic volunteers and crowd support.
2012-07-29 5:50 PM
in reply to: #4334420

New user

Green Bay, WI
Good job!  See you there next year!  It was super fun.  
2012-07-29 8:44 PM
in reply to: #4336360

User image

Veteran
Germantown, 'Sconsin
WEEE Like.....Looks like you will be down for Danskin in a few weeks.  I will be there with my boys supporting my wife and a good friend of ours.   Hopefully we cross paths.  Look for a dad with three boys ringing cow bells....that will be us!!!! 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Door County Triathlon - Half Iron Course Rss Feed