General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Adamo under seat bags/xlab wings Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-07-27 5:05 PM

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
Subject: Adamo under seat bags/xlab wings
Looking into buying an xlab wing or atleast a bag for under the seat for tube,tools,co2. Does anybody use this option? If so how do you rack your bike at races if you leave the wing/bag on? I don't see it working racking from the front of the seat. I have a Dark Speed Works top tube bag and love it but would like to reserve it for nutrition and my iphone on long training rides. Unfortunately with my phone and nutrition in I don't have much room for anything else. So suggestions please....

2012-07-27 5:23 PM
in reply to: #4334782

Veteran
Subject: RE: Adamo under seat bags/xlab wings
You can rack with the saddle nose or hook the brake levers over the rack, I go with the brake levers because the racks are usually to low to get my bike under.
2012-07-27 6:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Manalapan (Central New Jersey)
I have that setup. Rack with the nose of the adamo...even though it has that neat little hook on the back side...you still go with the nose.
2012-07-27 6:57 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Been using a saddle bag with my Adamo for years.  Rack by the nose of the saddle....works fine.
2012-07-27 8:12 PM

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
Thanks I'll give it a shot
2012-07-27 8:35 PM

User image

Racking the adamo from the front of the saddle works...but I also have my saddle all the way forward making the nose essentially longer.  If you have your seat all the way back...I could see how that might be a problem.

I've tried the xlab wing.  To me, it's overkill.  I simply use a bento box and my rear jersey pockets.

For training
2 bottles (down tube and between aero bars)
Bento box with a few gels, and maybe a bar
Small saddle bag holds inflator, levers, CO2, mini tool, patch kit.
My middle jersey pocket carries my mini pump, and a ziplock with my phone, id, credit card, insurance card, and cash
Left jersey pocket carries 2 tubes
Right jersey pocket carries more nutrition if needed.  Flask, bars, gatorade powder, etc.

For Racing...oly and under
1 bottle between the bars
Bento box with flat kit

For Racing...HIM and up
2 bottles (same training setup)
Flat kit taped under the seat (extra tube/CO2 in a ziplock that I put in my jersey pocket in T1).
Bento box with a flask
Additional flask if needed goes in my jersey pocket in T1

I've never felt the need in training or racing to carry more than 2 bottles, or more nutrition than my bento box/jersey pockets could hold.

2012-07-27 8:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I have that setup. xlab wing on Adamo.

(photo.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
photo.JPG (57KB - 15 downloads)
2012-07-27 8:52 PM
in reply to: #4335012

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
tri808 - 2012-07-27 9:35 PM

Racking the adamo from the front of the saddle works...but I also have my saddle all the way forward making the nose essentially longer.  If you have your seat all the way back...I could see how that might be a problem.

I've tried the xlab wing.  To me, it's overkill.  I simply use a bento box and my rear jersey pockets.

For training
2 bottles (down tube and between aero bars)
Bento box with a few gels, and maybe a bar
Small saddle bag holds inflator, levers, CO2, mini tool, patch kit.
My middle jersey pocket carries my mini pump, and a ziplock with my phone, id, credit card, insurance card, and cash
Left jersey pocket carries 2 tubes
Right jersey pocket carries more nutrition if needed.  Flask, bars, gatorade powder, etc.

For Racing...oly and under
1 bottle between the bars
Bento box with flat kit

For Racing...HIM and up
2 bottles (same training setup)
Flat kit taped under the seat (extra tube/CO2 in a ziplock that I put in my jersey pocket in T1).
Bento box with a flask
Additional flask if needed goes in my jersey pocket in T1

I've never felt the need in training or racing to carry more than 2 bottles, or more nutrition than my bento box/jersey pockets could hold.

Yeah my seat's pushed pretty far back. I don't see how well it would rack from the nose. I carry the same bottle set up but was thinking for a 70.3 I was going to have salt tabs and nutrition in my bento and trying to think of a suitable option for carrying a spare kit. I'm still skeptical about the wing method, I just don't see the bottles being comfortably placed as opposed to the downtube and bars as I have it now. Thinking of trying to mount a bag that "sags" from the seat so I could rack inbetween the seat and bag (if that makes sense) but don't want to add drag to my setup

2012-07-28 10:45 AM

User image

Master
Grand Prairie

For training in 100F and more 2 bottles just don't cut it.

I go on rides 30+ miles with 3 bottles and that is barely enough.

Hence I am thinking to getting an xlab wing with all the stuff, to allow me carrying up to 5 bottles.

In the TX temps I consume about 1 bottle on 10 miles. 

2012-07-28 1:53 PM
in reply to: #4335331

User image

Veteran
Manalapan (Central New Jersey)
timf79 - 2012-07-27 11:45 AM

For training in 100F and more 2 bottles just don't cut it.

I go on rides 30+ miles with 3 bottles and that is barely enough.

Hence I am thinking to getting an xlab wing with all the stuff, to allow me carrying up to 5 bottles.

In the TX temps I consume about 1 bottle on 10 miles. 

I'm with this poster.  My sweat rate is very high.  For a 30 miler I need 2 bottles minimum.  On a hot day, 3 are needed.  For a HIM, well last year I started the race with 4 bottles: 2 on downtube/post and two on xlab.  Drank all four bottles.  Not sure why it never occurred to me to bring endurolyte tabs or nuun tabs with me and grab 2 more bottles of h20 at the bike turnaround and just drop both into my current bottles.  Seems like that would save me from having to carry an extra 2.5 lbs around the whole first half of the course.  Ah we live, we learn.

Now if I'm riding a solo century, well I either have to plan for some deli rest areas so I can buy some liquids or rock the xlab.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Adamo under seat bags/xlab wings Rss Feed