United States
Tinman Hawaii
Precipitation
Total Time = 3h 10m
Overall Rank = 456/565
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 20/25
Pre-race routine:

Oatmeal, coffee, banana at hm. Banana 1 hr before swim. Espresso hammer gel 15 min pre swim.
Event warmup:

Rode bike 4 miles to race mostly downhill on the rain
Swim
  • 17m 40s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 22s / 100 meters
Comments:

Shallow, barely sunrise
Transition 1
  • 04m 2s
Comments:

Due to rain, had my gear sorta wrapped up, less accessible. Probably wasted time washing feet
What would you do differently?:

Won't bother washing feet or keeping shoes dry.
Bike
  • 1h 30m
  • 24.85 miles
  • 16.57 mile/hr
Comments:

Put unwrapped power bar on top tube in T1, ate half but the rest was gross melted from rain. Hammer gel at mile 10. One bottle w/ weak accelerade mix perfect. Biking is still my strongest, I was as fast as top 10 but as usual lost all my gains on the run. Glad I practiced the course several times. Saw some people walking up Heartbreak Hill!
Transition 2
  • 02m 18s
Comments:

Fastest ever even without speed laces
Run
  • 1h 15m
  • 6.21 miles
  • 12m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

Hate being passed by so many people but try not to get discouraged. I've come a long way in 1 year. Ate sport beans to avoid cramping, hammer gel at mile 2. Didn't overdrink on run to avoid sloshing feeling plus was overcast. At mile 4.5 I tried to speed up/widen stride, finished strong.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

My weight and boobs

Event comments:

Need porta johns and bathrooms had no toilet paper, start was way too early not even light yet. No drink station on bike, only water, pretzels, Apple chips and some candy. Lords volunteerss and police though, just the bathroom part needs addressing and subpar refreshments

Last updated: 2012-04-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:40 | 750 meters | 02m 22s / 100meters
Age Group: 17/25
Overall: 372/565
Performance: Good
Suit: trisuit
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:02
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:30:00 | 24.85 miles | 16.57 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/25
Overall: 424/565
Performance: Good
Wind: Headwind
Course:
Road:  Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Average
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:18
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:15:00 | 06.21 miles | 12m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/25
Overall: 0/565
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2012-07-29 4:13 PM

Veteran
Honolulu
Subject: Honolulu Tinman Triathlon

2012-07-30 9:03 PM
in reply to: #4336259

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX
Subject: RE: Honolulu Tinman Triathlon
Awesome job!  I know it can get discouraging sometimes about the run, but think of the progress you have made!  My runs are not any faster right now if that helps! 
2012-07-30 9:26 PM
in reply to: #4336259

User image

Good job out there.  I did the relay as a biker, but when I looked out to the water before the start, it looked really shallow.  Bike course was definately tough with the wind and all the wet roads.  I'm sure many people crashed, and I actually saw someone crash in front of me as I was waiting for our runner to finish.  He was okay though...sort of.

Post race refreshments have always been a bit dismal.  And I always bring my own TP with me to the bathrooms JIC.

2012-10-27 2:02 PM
in reply to: #4338388

Veteran
Honolulu
tri808 - 2012-07-30 9:26 PM

Good job out there.  I did the relay as a biker, but when I looked out to the water before the start, it looked really shallow.  Bike course was definately tough with the wind and all the wet roads.  I'm sure many people crashed, and I actually saw someone crash in front of me as I was waiting for our runner to finish.  He was okay though...sort of.

Post race refreshments have always been a bit dismal.  And I always bring my own TP with me to the bathrooms JIC.

Jason, you smoked the bike! Yeah that was the only time I raced in those conditions, I don't mind it may not be pretty but stay cool and I know other people struggle w bad weather. It takes experience w bike handling and really knowing your bike to ride in rain, which I think I' lm pretty good at, my only advantage in tri LOL. Lance excelled in rain BTW I've added you as my friend because I enjoy reading your logs, not many people bother keeping good data and it's inspiring and informative. I think I saw you running diamond head sometimes. Good luck on your races, put the hammer down!
2012-10-27 2:09 PM
in reply to: #4338359

Veteran
Honolulu
ashort33 - 2012-07-30 9:03 PMAwesome job!  I know it can get discouraging sometimes about the run, but think of the progress you have made!  My runs are not any faster right now if that helps! 
Thanks Andy, my improvement seemed insignificant, until I started mentoring my coworker to her 1st sprint tomorrow. She could barely swim, just bought her toad bike, and thinks 15 miles on the bike is long and painful. She almost died doing a short bike/run brick. And she looks way thinner than me and is 11 yrs younger. I've been training w her and going easy and slow for her benefit, but she will surpass me soon. Well maybe not biking. I may not be super fast, but I have experience and mega stamina. There's hope for us turtles and I'm totally enjoying it.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Honolulu Tinman Triathlon Rss Feed