Calgary, Alberta
Canada
Rocky Mountain Triathlon Company
Total Time = 5h 43m 48s
Overall Rank = 260/675
Age Group = W35-39
Age Group Rank = 6/47
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4. Stunned that I actually slept. Grabbed some rice cereal and some coconut water. Threw the various bags and goodies in the car and off we went.
Sara drove me to Ghost Lake. Got there around 6. Found the porta-potties. Dropped off my gear. Was angered to discover that someone broke the speedometer off my bike and just stuffed it in my bento bag. Thank goodness I rely mostly on my Garmin.
Just fought back the nerves and the excitement. I have never been part of something this big before.

This is the race I have been working towards for 2 years and it was a big deal.

Event warmup:

Stuffed myself into the wetsuit and hopped in the water 10 mins before my wave. Got acclimatized. Water was cool but nice.
Swim
  • 43m 31s
  • 1900 meters
  • 02m 17s / 100 meters
Comments:

Started out ok. Thought I was doing well. Right on someones toes for the long run under the bridge and out. Just tried to stay with the crowd and not panic.
My Garmin says I swam 2100m… adding on a solid 200m may be the reason I'm so slow. NEED to work on sighting!
What would you do differently?:

What can I say… no matter how much I work at this I am not catching on to something. I still can't swim!
This is getting so frustrating… I need to get some help with this and have no idea where to begin.

Transition 1
  • 02m 44s
Comments:

They have a bit of a confusing set-up where you hit the strippers and then grab your T1 bag. You need to find a random spot amongst the chaos to put on your helmet and shoes and race number.
Then you have to stuff your wetsuit and swim gear back into said bag.
At that point you are aloud to go into T1 searching for your bicycle.

I do seem to transition well and made up a minute or so here… not sure I would change anything except the crazy set-up.
Bike
  • 2h 55m 56s
  • 94 kms
  • 32.06 km/hr
Comments:

II knew I was making up time when I passed many of my competitors on the Cochrane climb. This ride was feeling great…
Then, at 80km I got a flat tire. My front tire just blew, and I got to spend 10mins on the side of the highway changing it out while the same competitors blew right by me. Talk about frustration. I'm not a curser but there were some words coming out of my mouth that I won't repeat.
Good news is this has happened to me in training once before and went fairly smoothly.
Hopped back on the bike and was back at it, after losing a few AG spots and limiting the temper tantrum to a minimum.

No flat tires next time please...
Transition 2
  • 01m 16s
Comments:

I hit the dismount line still feeling like I had some catch up to do.
Got a great volunteer who pointed me in the right direction. Racked the bike, helmet off, visor on. Love the new Zoots! Although I did opt to go with socks. Reconsidering this now. Also reconsidering the hand held bottle. May need to find a way to just carry the chews. I like my race belt may have a pouch add-on.

Skip socks and bottle…?
Run
  • 2h 00m 21s
  • 21.1 kms
  • 05m 42s  min/km
Comments:

Started out just as planned. Let the legs do their own thing coming off the bike (they always want to go fast for a km or 2), and then settled into my rhythm. Gave myself permission to walk the two big climbs as my HR was getting high and exhaustion was setting in.
Ditched the hand held bottle with 4.5km left… and with 3 km left the wheels fell off the bus. I tipped over, literally. Started seeing stars and was barely able to get up and keep moving forward. Knew I was looking rough when I was asked about 10 times if I was ok.
Just kept a staggering walk/jog going until I saw the finish line.
Medics caught me… turned out I was just over-heated and a bit dehydrated.

More water? More electrolytes? More sponges?
Post race
Warm down:

Lots of food and water and about a half hour later I started to feel like myself again. I met up with my family. My Mom and some friends (Thank you Mel and Marla) were there. It was awesome!

Austin took the kids home and Trevor and I hung around for the awards. Wanted to see some fast times and the Pros.
When they got to my age group I was surprised that flat tire not withstanding I did ok. Was a little disappointed with my time, but ecstatic because I get another chance to redeem myself. I got the last Vegas slot for my AG! As I write this I still can't believe it… this has been a dream of mine and I'm going!
Trevor took us out for ice cream to celebrate and we headed home… exhausted and sore and grinning ear to ear.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

NEED some swim help and more long run training with hills. Living out where I do there are no hills. May need to hit up the dreaded treadmill or drive somewhere else.

Event comments:

This race was fantastic. They really stepped it up with the bouncy castle and the food trucks for the spectators.
The volunteers on this course kept me going, literally. The atmosphere they created was amazing.
I will definitely be back!

Last updated: 2012-01-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:43:31 | 1900 meters | 02m 17s / 100meters
Age Group: 24/47
Overall: 397/675
Performance: Average
Suit: Full wetsuit
Course: This is a one-loop course in Ghost Lake with the waves starting a nice 10mins apart. Water seemed a bit wavy out at the far side but overall good.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:44
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:55:56 | 94 kms | 32.06 km/hr
Age Group: 10/47
Overall: 58/675
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: This is a hilly point to point course and I love it! Some of the roads in the back country part were chip seal and a little bumpy but I live in the middle of nowhere and have experience riding those conditions.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:16
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:00:21 | 21.1 kms | 05m 42s  min/km
Age Group: 6/47
Overall: 51/675
Performance: Average
Course: This is an out and back with 2 big hills. I have run it before. It is beautiful.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-07-30 8:56 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Calgary

2012-07-31 11:54 AM
in reply to: #4336900

User image

Calgary, Alberta
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Calgary

Fantastic race! Way to overcome the flat!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Calgary Rss Feed