United States
91F / 33C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 52m 20s
Overall Rank = 41/48
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I woke up at 2:30; ate 1/2C of oatmeal with 3/4C milk and 1/4C of blueberries sweetened with 2 Splenda Packets and 1 banana. I drove to the race and checked in at 4:00. I ate another banana at 4:00. We got on the bus which drove us to the starting area. It left at 4:30 and we arrived at 5:15. On the bus I had another banana at 5:00, and I pretty much got myself completely ready since I knew we would not have a lot of time at the start before the start. At the start I hit a bush to relieve myself,
Event warmup:

I stretched lightly and walked up and down the road a bit to warm up the legs. I probably should have warmed up even more but there was not very much time before we were in at the starting line waiting to go.
Run
  • 00m
  • 26.2 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

The first 17 miles were phenomenal. I was strong through the hills. I went out fairly slow and maintained my last place position for the first three miles or so. At mile 9 after all the hills I felt super strong and started to push the pace. I had a 2:28:00 half marathon which was great for me considering I was running 13:00/mile pace during the first 5-7 miles. I was feeling invincible until mile 17 when my right leg started to cramp slightly. I slowed down quite a bit. At mile 18 my leg started to cramp quite a bit and my left leg thought it would be fun to cramp as well. I started taking more frequent walk breaks. At mile 19 my right leg seized up with cramps and I had to spend several minutes against a telephone pole stretching and massaging it. From mile 19 onward it was mostly walking/limping with some small runs. I would run approximately 1 minute and then walk 1-2 minutes. This continued for a mile or two until even that was too much running. Then I started walking/limping 3 minutes or so and then walking 30 seconds to a 1 minute depending on when my legs would start to cramp. In the end I got through it and built a big enough margin on the cutoff time that I was able to beat the course cut off time and get my finisher's medal. In the end they were doing the awards ceremony at the finish line as I crossed the finish line. Everything stopped as I crossed and they announced my name and everyone cheered and stopped and patted me on the back. My wife and son were there 50 yards or so before the race and I stopped and kissed them. It was an incredible experience and I admit, I got emotional.
What would you do differently?:

I would have slowed down my overall pace. I would have definitely had more to drink since I think I underestimated how much fluid I needed. I would have trained for more hills and been more consistent with my training so I would not have suffered so much on race day. There were a lot of promising signs, but there was a lot that needs to be fixed.
Post race
Warm down:

I stretched in the medical tent and got a post-race massage (better described as tortured).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Pacing, drinking, heat, and inadequate training.

Event comments:

As mentioned previously, the roads were not coned off, the traffic was not controlled to help the runners maintain their run. The volunteers were excellent, but there were not enough for all the stations so as all the runners passed, the volunteers would pack up and race in front of the runners to set up again. At the end there were very few volunteers left to help us slow folks at the large intersections. At the biggest and most dangerous intersection there was no one there, and I just had to act like any other pedestrian and cross with the lights while waiting several minutes for the lights to change (two crossings were required). That being said, I loved the volunteers who were there. For the most part they were friendly and excited to help.

Last updated: 2012-07-30 12:00 AM
Running
00:00:00 | 26.2 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/48
Performance: Average
Course: The first seven miles were very hilly. Overall it was a downhill, but there were quite a few climbs. After nine miles we were done with all the hills and the rest of the course was a slight incline that was barely noticeable. The course was mostly on back country roads. They did not have a lane coned off for the runners which was annoying because we had to share the road with cars doing 50 mph on the back country highways. Overall there was not issues with traffic until the end when we arrived on the outskirts of Idaho Falls. Then there were several street crossings. I had to stop completely twice for several minutes a piece which worsened my overall time. The course was pretty, I just thought the traffic control was lacking.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %6
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 1
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No