70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 21m 21s
Overall Rank = 327/949
Age Group = M 35 - 39
Age Group Rank = 35/71
Pre-race routine:

My first tri is in the books!

Woke up at 3:30 in the morning. I had a little coffee and cereal! My GF and her friend also ran this race, so we met up around 4:15 at my GFs apartement. It was nice to have some support and previous experience along my side. Arrived at 5:00 when transition opened up.
Event warmup:

Not much warmup. Walked through my transitions a couple times and walked through the swim to bike a couple times. For my first tri, the water conditions were less than ideal...2 to 3 foot waves. I had practiced a few OWS, but nothing like this...
Swim
  • 12m 38s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 32s / 100 yards
Comments:

I think the course was much shorter than posted. I do not beleive I can swim that fast, especically considering the water conditions. I would put the course around 650 meters. The swim was pretty brutal. I was running into people left and right, as tracking was very difficult with the wave heights. I was rolled over, by the waves, a couple times. I think a lot of people walked a lot of the course, and I kept running into them.
What would you do differently?:

I need to practice a lot more OWS moving forward. I came out of the water very winded and my legs were feeling it. I practiced a lot of swimming, but nothing like these conditions. I was kicking much faster and my strokes were much shorter...just to keep my legs up and moving. I think this raised my HR quite a bit and made my legs feel it.
Transition 1
  • 02m 51s
Comments:

A long run from the water to transition. My watch measured it at 0.20 miles!

For my first transition ever, I think I did pretty well. Wasted time with helmet and sunglasses. I could have done this while running with my bike out. I am going to try the next sprint without socks...dont need them for the short distance.
Bike
  • 39m 1s
  • 11.81 miles
  • 17.87 mile/hr
Comments:

At an average of slightly over 18 MPH, this is faster than I could ever anticipated! In all of my training, I would typically average between 16 and 16.5 MPH. I really cant explain it; though, I was very happy! I felt strong at the end and had splits at 19.0, 20.4, and 19.4 during the last couple miles.

I could have pushed slightly harder, as I felt very strong at the end.

I have found I prefer some cold water versus Gatorade during the race. So, I will plan accordingly moving forward. I tried some Honey Stinger chews half way. These were good, even though I likely didnt need them.
Transition 2
  • 01m 35s

I could have ran a bit faster with the bike. I fumbled my bike a couple times while trying to rake it. I need to work on that...

I wasted time putting my running belt and hat on in transition...duh! I need to do this while running!
However, I feel this time was very good for my first tri.
Run
  • 25m 17s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

This is my second fastest 5k time ever. I didn't anticipate running this fast at the end of the race. I felt strong at the end. I ran by some Dare2tri athletes and cheered them on. They are truly inspiring!

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked and stretched. I lined up along the last 1/4 mile and waited/cheered for my GF and her friend. Had a banana and hot dog...weird combo.

I was disapointed about no hardware. I was hoping for some hardware; especially on my frist tri..oh well.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I need more OWS training!

Last updated: 2012-07-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:38 | 820 yards | 01m 32s / 100yards
Age Group: 27/71
Overall: 289/949
Performance: Average
Suit: None
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: High
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:51
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:39:01 | 11.81 miles | 17.87 mile/hr
Age Group: 42/71
Overall: 477/949
Wind: Little
Course: Essentially out and back along Lake shore drive; with a little circle loop at the start. Very flat. Against a slight wind for the first loop.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:35
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:25:17 | 03.11 miles | 08m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 13/71
Overall: 350/949
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2012-07-30 10:11 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: South Shore Triathlon

2012-07-30 10:20 AM
in reply to: #4337067

User image

Regular
Chicago
Subject: RE: South Shore Triathlon

Way to go on your first Tri! You got quite an experience with that ridiculous swim! It would have been one thing if it was out and back through the breakers, but swimming paralell through them was no good at all (though I did tell my friends who said "that must have been dangerous" that is really wasn't b/c you could stand, and actually would have been a really fun day to be just out messing around in the water)

One quick suggestion for you based on your note about getting on your helmet in T1 while running with your bike. By USAT rules you have to have your helmet on and clipped before you even touch your bike. Would hate to see you DQ'd!

Great race though!

2012-07-30 10:45 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Sounds like a great first race!!! Don't over-think it.  Sounds like you handled it all very well.  Now you have the experience and will know what to expect next time.

Congrats on handling the OWS with no practice! That sounds challenging but you took it in stride and didn't let it ruin your day.

I second the above comment about your helmet.  You may be okay putting on a hat/belt on the run but don't try it with the helmet.  that should be the first thing you do in T1.

Nice job TRIATHLETE!!

2012-07-30 11:22 AM

User image

Way to go TRIATHLETE!! You had a much better experience then my first Tri last month!  I am a pool chicken and have no area to practive OWS (except the ocean which I cant stand) Swimming is my hardest event and you sounded like you handled it like a champ! As the others have already stated, you need that bike helmet on your head before you touch your bike! I have done three Tris so far and I am one of those people who would rather take an extra second making sure I have everything instead of rushing and making a mistake.  I almost forgot my sunglasses on Sunday and I would of been furious trying to ride without them! Anyways GREAT JOB!!!! Laughing
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » South Shore Triathlon Rss Feed