Tri Harder Promotions
69F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 36m 11s
Overall Rank = 177/189
Age Group = F 35-39
Age Group Rank = 8/9
Pre-race routine:

Ate a bagel with peanut butter on the drive over with my family. Had plenty if time to set up transition, find my husband ( who left a half hour before me) and get the layout of ins and outs down. Took a gel 15 mins prior to my wave start
Event warmup:

Got in the lake and swam about 150 meters to loosen up and get a feel for where the rocks and slimy parts were on the swim exit
Swim
  • 13m 56s
  • 457 meters
  • 03m 03s / 100 meters
Comments:

I haven't swam a lot lately so I was fine with my performance. The water was really warm, fairly smooth and the sun was to the side. I am not the best sighter so it was to my advantage to only have to navigate to the buoy then back to the dock. I don't like a crowd so I took a fairly far outside line to the turnaround. I managed to do mostly freestyle with breaststroke for extended navigating - especially when I started to get in a crowd or my heart rate was climbing.
What would you do differently?:

Put more time in the pool to get my pace back up
Transition 1
  • 01m 36s
Comments:

Had a great T1. My husband gave me grief for my slow transition at MiM so I consciously tried to pick it up here. I ad th second fastest T1 in my age group so I was pleased with that.

Eventually train to leave my shoes on the bike and get in the after I start the bike course
Bike
  • 42m 18s
  • 12 miles
  • 17.02 mile/hr
Comments:

I intentionally pushed myself knowing this was a course well suited to it. I was passed quite a bit on the way out but less so after the turnaround. The Olympic used the same course but went out farther. The turnarond in the middle of road was nervewracking because there were Oly athletes still behind who were going on through and I didn't want to turn in front of them. The course was not closed to traffic and that caused some scary moments on the way out. More than one occasion, there were racers coming and going on the same section of New City Rd with cars flying through them pretty fast. Due to th gravel and rough shoulders, you could only safely pull over so far to the right when cars came through. It was very sporadic traffic, just a problem when they did come through. More than once I had to wait for cars so that I could safely make a pass.

For me, this was a good ride. I'm pleased. I know I can continue to mprove.
Transition 2
  • 01m 28s
Comments:

Decent T2 especially considering I "run" with my bike shoes and speed play cleats. I had to put on socks & shoes so did well time wise

Eventually learn to ride with feet on top of the pedals
Run
  • 36m 50s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 11m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

Yeah, the run kills me every time. I haven't been running due to the super high temps here and it really showed. I had to walk the first two minutes because I had a stitch coming out of transition. I then switched to a 3 min run: 1 min walk for the rest of the race. I knew I was slow but I didn't stress about it. My fastest mile was my third one so obviously I didn't push too hard. I was quite a bit faster my last sprint but lack of training shows.

Followmy running plan
Post race
Warm down:

Found my parents & son, grabbed some post-race food and then went to wait for my husband to finish the Olympic.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Sporadic training

Event comments:

This was a well organized event and on time. No real complaints about the course, cars can't be helped on an open road but luckily it was rural so not busy at all. Plenty of food for me at the finish, but almost everything was gone when my husband finished his Olympic (ie no cookies, bananas or chocolate milk, no turkey subs and only a few ham sandwiches but he doesn't eat pork). I see this a lot when there are dual events and more participants in the shorter event, just sucks a bit for the back of the packers. I did like the snow cones & though I was in no danger of winning an award, they were very cool for both the sprint and the Oly. The custom tech shirts were nice and I like the beer glass - i don't really expect anything but a shirt at these distances. This was a travel race for us but we chose it based on availability of two distances and proximity to my family (I.e. free babysitting!) if it works in our schedule, we will likely do this, especially since its hard to find such flat courses in Arkansas :)

Last updated: 2012-05-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:56 | 457 meters | 03m 03s / 100meters
Age Group: 4/9
Overall: 0/189
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Swim almost straight out to a buoy! Go around it and then back . Near the finish, we met up with the Olympic distance swimmers angling in from their triangular course to the swim exit.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 87F / 31C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:36
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:42:18 | 12 miles | 17.02 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/9
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back with a 180 degree turnaround on paved, mostly rural roads. Some gravel noted and some rough road edges. Essentially flat with an occasional roller but think of prairie as opposed to real hill :)
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:28
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:36:50 | 03.1 miles | 11m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/9
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back on an essentially flat course except for going up and over the bridge twice.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-07-30 10:48 AM

User image

Regular
Little Rock, AR
Subject: Stoneman Sprint Triathlon

2012-07-30 12:30 PM
in reply to: #4337176

User image

Expert
Illinois
Subject: RE: Stoneman Sprint Triathlon
Nice job! It was a little dicey at the bike turnaround. I also think the swim course was longer than 500 yards, but all in all a good race.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Stoneman Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed