General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Tri This Weekend! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-07-30 5:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Lake Monticello, Virginia
Subject: First Tri This Weekend!

Hello all! I have signed up and will participate in my FIRST triathlon (sprint) this coming weekend. Over the course of the last week or so I have run the gambit of assuredness to apprehension. What I have concluded is: if I don't get in the mix I will never know if I can do it. So, I am ready, mentally at least.

There are a few lingering concerns I have that I am hoping you fine folks can help me with:

1. I have had limited OWS training - mostly pool time. Not being familiar with the Washing Machine phenomenon would it be wise to hang back or swim wide to a) avoid contact and b) to not inconvenience a more experienced participant? OR should I get the full experience of the flailing and hazards so as to be more prepared in my next event? I am *confident* in my swim ability but have never experienced the potential chaos of a group swim. Not looking to draft either as I have NO experience with that.

2. If hanging back on the swim start, does the personal time start at the horn or a timing mat (in typical events, not necessarily this one)?

3. I have practiced some with T1 with shoes in the clips but am not overly confident yet to really want to try this in my first event. It does not appear to be a long run out to the bike mount line so should I a)run barefoot/socks to the mount line or b) run in my bike shoes w/ clip covers in place? I have already practiced option B but not the most comfortable and a greater risk for a rolled ankle. However, I feel confident with that approach. And it would shave some time off T1 versus option A. Thoughts?

I am looking to this event as a primer to another sprint I have scheduled for later this month. My idea is to use this as a training session. Go all out but do so conscientiously in order to get the most out of the event. As I see it (and this may be over-simplifying): I can swim, bike and run the distances but the T's are the great unknown.

Thanks for any and all input. Wish me luck!

2012-07-30 5:58 PM
in reply to: #4338094

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: First Tri This Weekend!

Hey there bet your chompin' at the bit to get out there!!! Okay take a deep breath and savor the feeling and the days leading up to race day because you only have the first time jitters once.

1. Sounds like your OWS time is very limited so my advice is to hang back, take it wide at the start and let the fast swimmers get out ahead. You don't need to get in the middle of the pack and get knocked around with your first race, it will not benefit you any and it's not worth the potential panic it may well cause. Find yourself some clean open water, get into a groove and swim like a fish.

2. Your time starts with everyone elses and will trip once you run into T1, unless you have a long run to T1 and they set it up to trip your time as you exit the water. My last tri was this way. Time starts with the gun, horn, cannon....etc.

3. If you haven't practiced a bunch with mounting the bike and putting shoes on at the start of the bike leg then I wouldn't do it this race. You'll have enough jitters with the event no sense in complicating it more. I'd just get your socks and shoes or just shoes on in T1 and then take it real easy jogging out of T1.

Good luck out there. Be sure to let us know how it goes.

2012-07-30 7:02 PM

User image

Regular
Good luck and enjoy. Just did my first one and it was great!!
2012-07-30 7:08 PM

Expert
Go have fun first of all. For the first one, avoid the washing machine. On my first one, I went out too hard on the swim(in a Sprint distance), and the rest of the day wasn't so pleasant. Take it down a notch and enjoy. And good luck.
2012-07-31 12:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Thanks for the replies and advice. Really looking forward to Saturday.
2012-07-31 7:09 PM

I would recommend hanging back at the start. Last year I did my first tri, a sprint, and hung back and out to the side. I didn't have anyone bumping into me and I stayed relaxed and calm the whole way. I don't think it cost me more than a minute or two, at most.

Sunday I did the same tri for the second time. I was jacked up and ran into the water and thought I can hold my place in the crowd. Well, people were bumping into me on both sides and from behind. I bumped into someone in front of me a couple times. I was feeling very stressed and panicky. I slowed down and swam outside of the pack. I was able to calm myself down and swim well the rest of the way.

I told myself, from now on, stay back and out of the way.

Good Luck. Like they say on here, have fun and enjoy it. You only have one first.

2012-08-01 9:04 AM

User image

Expert
, New Hampshire

Even after all my time on BT and all my reading and research, I felt like I learned so much at my first tri, so best of luck to you, enjoy your first race, and do a thorough race report to reflect on all that you've learned.

My first (and only, so far!) tri, I stayed to the back and somewhat wide as well. Start began in knee deep water (and at 5'1" that's not too deep). The countdown and signal to go - it was a local race, I think someone just said "go!" - sounded and I waded through the water, watching people go, moving forward - don't just stand there! When it looked like there weren't too many people left and there was some room, I began to swim.

I took it a little easy, not wanting to burn out from the swim, and did my best to relax and enjoy the swim. I had lots of water around me...until the fast swimmers in the next wave caught up. So if you've been swimming a while, and enjoying the calm, remember that there might be another wave starting after yours, and some of those fast swimmers may catch up. I felt a few hands and feet, but those fast guys were past me really quick.

I was surprised I had to pass some people, and that's when I did experience a bit of kicking, but I didn't think it was too bad. Mostly the person in front seemed to zig zag in front of me and I had a tough time going around, and some others were breast stroking and their kicks and armstrokes got a little wild.

Don't worry, you'll be fine if you keep a calm head and are aware of your surroundings. Even if you practice in open water, there's no guarantee you'll get a big crowd to swim with until race day, but practice if you can, so the spotting will be easier, and the sensation of not being able to see much underwater isn't so disorienting.

Best of luck!

2012-08-01 9:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL

I agree with some of the others. Stand back at swim start and off to side. Then get it on. Don't be stressed about time in your first race. Many people will pass you on bike probably, don't worry about. In T1, do what you are comfortable with-there are several ways to do this and watch other racers while you're there. See what they do and you will get some ideas.

Good luck!

2012-08-01 10:14 AM

User image

Regular
Boston

A few thoughts to add to the others:

-it matters more where you stand side to side than front to back.  dont stand in the front row.  I normally suggest for my beginner clients to start on the side of the pack, such that when they breath, they can see the pack (ie for a swimmer who prefers to breath on the right, on the far left side).  

-Definetly dont clip your shoes in ahead of time.

-Wear your HR montior if you have one, and record your avg hr and speed for each leg (of course not swimming) so you can compare it to future races.

-focus on having fun and not crashing/drowning/etc on your first race!  your excitement will take care of pace on its own!

Coach

2012-08-01 10:37 AM

User image

Master
Cypress, CA

Re #2, if there's a timing mat on the beach at the swim start your time will start when you cross it, but most sprints don't have that so your time will start at the horn.

But you know you're going to PR this race anyway, so don't worry about a few seconds. 

2012-08-07 11:26 PM

User image

Veteran

Edited by T1 rider 2012-08-07 11:43 PM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Tri This Weekend! Rss Feed