Firm Racing
75F / 24C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 15m 25s
Overall Rank = 85/155
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 2/20
Pre-race routine:

Ate a power bar and a banana for breakfast at about 5:30AM. Headed to the event to pick up packet by 6:30.
Event warmup:

Brisk walking around the area to familiarize myself with the starts and finishes in the transition area and to warm up my legs. It was a light rain so I kept moving to avoid getting cold. Did a short swim in the river prior to start just to get a feel for the murky water.
Swim
  • 06m 51s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

For my first triathlon I thought I did pretty good. Will definitely do more group open water swims next time in preparation. Got stuck behind someones kick for a bit and it made breathing difficult. Finally got around it and rolled to my back and did a backstroke across the top of the triangle to try to clear up my breathing.
What would you do differently?:

More open water group training. I think I would have had a better time if I was better at getting ahead of people it would have been a better swim for me as that's my strongest part of the event.
Transition 1
  • 01m 51s
Comments:

Good transition considering I didn't have much practice. Only thing I forgot to put on was my gloves. I did bring a bucket to rinse my feet because I insist on wearing socks. Surprisingly though, it was the fastest I have ever gotten my feet clipped in.

Improve my ability to jump on the bike. Currently I still have to stop, climb on and then take off and clip in.
Bike
  • 37m 14s
  • 11 miles
  • 17.73 mile/hr
Comments:

Road conditions were bad. I can deal with wet roads, but the grooved roads for construction would have been nice to know about in advance.

Although roads were wet, I had no problem getting up to speed. Wish my cyclometer worked though... it didn't register at all during the race. Relied on my watch which was pretty accurate throughout.

Remember to put my gloves on. And look into getting Aero bars for the bike. And get a cyclometer that works ALL the time, not just when it wants to.
Transition 2
  • 00m 59s
Comments:

Slow to get off my bike as I'm not very good at unclipping and getting off the bike. Roads were still wet so running across the street was slow.

Practice getting off my bike!
Run
  • 28m 29s
  • 3 miles
  • 09m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

Struggled with the run. Legs felt like jello for the first mile. Walked a little at the 2 mile mark.

Not carry a bottle of water with me.
Post race
Warm down:

Minimal stretching.

Event comments:

A good event for a first timer.

Last updated: 2012-07-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:51 | 440 yards | 01m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/20
Overall: 20/155
Performance: Good
Suit: Wetsuit
Course: Different that what they showed on their map which was an out and back. This was a triangle.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:51
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:37:14 | 11 miles | 17.73 mile/hr
Overall: 90/155
Wind: Little
Course: Wet roads and 2.5 miles of grooved roadways thanks to construction. Lots of gravel flying around as well as horrible vibrations in your arms (And I forget my gloves so that makes it worse). Again, course is different that what is portrayed on their map. But I know they had recently changed the intersection by the Tyngsboro bridge so it was expected. Lots of potholes and bad road conditions during the last 5 miles.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:59
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:28:29 | 03 miles | 09m 29s  min/mile
Overall: 112/155
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back flat course. Again, different than the maps they provided. And a good portion of it was run on a dirt path as opposed to the sidewalk or street. Suppose you could have run on the street, but the return runners were there and I prefer to avoid collisions. Water at the turn around.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes