General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rev3 Cedar Point Preview Day hosted by Cleveland Tri Club Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-07-31 1:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Rev3 Cedar Point Preview Day hosted by Cleveland Tri Club

Come join the Cleveland Tri Club on August 18, 2012, as we host the Rev3 Cedar Point Course Preview Day. CTC will help Full Rev and Half Rev athletes become familiar with the Rev3 Cedar Point course. The schedule is as follows:

7:00 Registration (all athletes must register)
8:00 Open Water Swim Clinic led by Liquid Lifestyles
9:15 Rev3 Bike Course Preview Ride with A(22 mph+), B(18-21 mph) and C(16-18 mph with no drop)
12:00-2:00 optional run
2:00 Lunch and Group Discussion at Big Bear Saloon

All riders will have the option of doing 1 or 2 loops of the bike course. After the ride, you can run on a 2 mile path on location. We will have an aid station located at the halfway point. All riders are expected to bring any support items necessary, but the aid station will have water, sports drink, cookies, pretzels and, of course, fig newtons! We will meet at the Big Bear Saloon for post ride lunch and discussions. The topics will be determined at a later date but will be aimed at the Full Rev athletes.
We will have several vendors prior to the ride with lots of triathlon related goodies. 
Please rsvp for planning purposes to [email protected] or on our group event page on facebook.
Triathlon is an individual sport, but training does not have to be lonely! We have had over 150 athletes at the last few training days. Hope to see you there!

The day is free and open to all!

2012-07-31 4:17 PM
in reply to: #4339396

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Rev3 Cedar Point Preview Day hosted by Cleveland Tri Club
The event will start and end at Sawmill Creek Resort in Huron, OH.  It is about 8 miles from Cedar Point!
2012-08-02 4:23 PM

Extreme Veteran
NE Ohio
anyone planning on going down to this? I recommend it if your doing the race (or even if you're not and maybe plan on it next year or so). I went to the one two weeks ago and going down for this. It's a structured training/race prep day.
2012-08-11 3:12 PM
in reply to: #4344215

User image

Extreme Veteran

Bnclev - 2012-08-02 5:23 PM anyone planning on going down to this? I recommend it if your doing the race (or even if you're not and maybe plan on it next year or so). I went to the one two weeks ago and going down for this. It's a structured training/race prep day.

I'm going to be there

2012-08-12 9:14 PM
in reply to: #4358624

Extreme Veteran
NE Ohio
jarvy01 - 2012-08-11 4:12 PM

Bnclev - 2012-08-02 5:23 PM anyone planning on going down to this? I recommend it if your doing the race (or even if you're not and maybe plan on it next year or so). I went to the one two weeks ago and going down for this. It's a structured training/race prep day.

I'm going to be there

cool. look forward to meeting you there.

2012-08-16 8:12 AM

User image

My father-in-law (Lyman on BT) and I are coming up.  We are newbies and we are looking forward to meeting a lot of new triathletes.

2012-08-16 11:35 AM
in reply to: #4365799

User image

Olmsted Twp, OH
I am making the trip as well.  Can't wait to see what the bike course is like.
2012-08-16 1:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Northeast Ohio
I went to the first preview day and it was a great experience.  If I didn't have a Tri the next day I would definitely be going for the second preview day.
2012-08-17 9:41 AM

Extreme Veteran
NE Ohio

if anyone gets there early enough to chat beforehand, i'll have on a black addidas visor and drive a black jeep cherokee..and wearing a red jersey for the ride. if not, you guys are no fun Wink.

2012-08-17 9:58 AM
in reply to: #4367843

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bnclev - 2012-08-17 10:41 AM

if anyone gets there early enough to chat beforehand, i'll have on a black addidas visor and drive a black jeep cherokee..and wearing a red jersey for the ride. if not, you guys are no fun Wink.

Are you doing the swim clinic too?  I'm really not sure what to wear tomorrow, because it's supposed to be cold.  I was thinking of just wearing a 2 piece tri kit.  I have never done a group ride (outside of races), so I have some anxiety about this preview day.  I need to know what I'm dealing with as far as the course goes, so that outweighs my silly anxieties.  

2012-08-17 10:31 AM
in reply to: #4367876

Extreme Veteran
NE Ohio
jarvy01 - 2012-08-17 10:58 AM

Are you doing the swim clinic too?  I'm really not sure what to wear tomorrow, because it's supposed to be cold.  I was thinking of just wearing a 2 piece tri kit.  I have never done a group ride (outside of races), so I have some anxiety about this preview day.  I need to know what I'm dealing with as far as the course goes, so that outweighs my silly anxieties.  

i'm not doing the swim clinic. I did that last year. I am going to do a free swim around there though. The clinic is in a group and everyone else that wants to swim on there own goes a little further out and there will most likely be bouies out there to swim to and from, and other people, so that's what i am doing. Clinic has some racing tips specific to the race...check when you get there, you may want to do it

My 2 cents on the ride:
I never do group rides either. 2 of the 3 i have done outside races were at the preview days. Don't worry about it. It's not a like a hardcore, tight group ride like you may be thinking. you can do your thing. It is broken into 3 groups like Ken mentioned in the outline; A, B and C. A is fast, C is a no drop...everything else defaults into B. For the first 5-10 miles as we get out of town, B stays somewhat together, but then starts to disperse as some move toward 20+ and some stay around 18. Your choice, but most likely, people will be with/around you. At mile 40-43 (somehwere in there) is the "rest stop" that CTC has. It's leisurely on the corner in a little town. SOome stuff to eat, drink refills, a bathroom. from there people regroup and head back toward Sawmill or turn and do the second loop.

Weather does look a little cool i saw. I was going to wear a tri top as well to ride in it a bit, but probably going to do just do a jersey with a shirt under actually and arm sleeves. i dunno. gtd

2012-08-17 11:30 AM
in reply to: #4367929

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bnclev - 2012-08-17 11:31 AM
jarvy01 - 2012-08-17 10:58 AM

i'm not doing the swim clinic. I did that last year. I am going to do a free swim around there though. The clinic is in a group and everyone else that wants to swim on there own goes a little further out and there will most likely be bouies out there to swim to and from, and other people, so that's what i am doing. Clinic has some racing tips specific to the race...check when you get there, you may want to do it

My 2 cents on the ride:
I never do group rides either. 2 of the 3 i have done outside races were at the preview days. Don't worry about it. It's not a like a hardcore, tight group ride like you may be thinking. you can do your thing. It is broken into 3 groups like Ken mentioned in the outline; A, B and C. A is fast, C is a no drop...everything else defaults into B. For the first 5-10 miles as we get out of town, B stays somewhat together, but then starts to disperse as some move toward 20+ and some stay around 18. Your choice, but most likely, people will be with/around you. At mile 40-43 (somehwere in there) is the "rest stop" that CTC has. It's leisurely on the corner in a little town. SOome stuff to eat, drink refills, a bathroom. from there people regroup and head back toward Sawmill or turn and do the second loop.

Weather does look a little cool i saw. I was going to wear a tri top as well to ride in it a bit, but probably going to do just do a jersey with a shirt under actually and arm sleeves. i dunno. gtd

Thank you for the feedback, Bryan.  You helped make me feel better about tomorrow.

I'll probably try the clinic just to hear what they have to say.  Swimming is my strength, but I could use some help with sighting.  I'll be riding in the B group, too (I wish I were in the A group ).   I'm in for 1 loop, as I'm racing the Half Rev and not the Full.  

I'm just going to wear the 2 piece suit and take my arm warmers.  I'm a big baby when it comes to cold air and the bike!

How has the training for the full been different from the training for the half for you?  I really want to try the full next summer, but I have 4 young children, and I really need to wait until my 2 year old (the youngest) is in preschool every day.  I've been averaging about 13 hours a week - sometimes 12 and other times 15) - and that's about the max I can do right now.

2012-08-17 1:57 PM
in reply to: #4368053

Extreme Veteran
NE Ohio
jarvy01 - 2012-08-17 12:30 PM

How has the training for the full been different from the training for the half for you?  I really want to try the full next summer, but I have 4 young children, and I really need to wait until my 2 year old (the youngest) is in preschool every day.  I've been averaging about 13 hours a week - sometimes 12 and other times 15) - and that's about the max I can do right now.

i'll preface this by saying everyone is different. I have 2 little kids (almost 5 and almost 3). The thing that really just sticks out is the general length of time for the long sessions. Being gone for 5-6 hours at a time is tough. My wife is more than supportive on because she knows its finite. The long rides just take a lot of time on Saturday/Sunday. Having to find time for a 2 1/2 - 3 hour run is a little bit tougher also..i do those at night generally. And then the accumulation of the other sessions jsut gets tiring.

last year i think i maxed at 11 hours 3 weeks prior to the race, but was generally at 8-9 the whole season going up to the HIM. I had no real plans to an IM this year prior to the Rev last year. I thought i would use it as a measuring stick to see where i was. I had a goal of 6 hours. Ended up at 5:25 and did not kill myself by any stretch and had a gret time. SO much so that i decided to move on to the IM this year, so that's how that worked. the only thing i wanted to do was really up the distance on my running for this season. This year, i was 8-10 early on and then have weeks of 13, 15, 14, 18 and 15. Got sick in one 13 hour scheduled week that turned into 6 or would have one more up there.

You are prepared for the HIM. You put in much more work than i did. From my perspective, and everyone is different again, you don't need to find much more room next year to do this if you want. It really comes down to an added 2-3 hours for the long bike and 1 hour or so for the long run, especially in the last build phase. the hours there, at least for the BT plan i mostly used, was 13,15,17,18 for the peak build. Some people do it on more i know, but some do it on less.

2012-08-18 9:36 PM

Did anyone who went to this, go on Cedar Point Road(part of the bike course)?  I drove on it today and it made me nervous, because it's pretty rough.  Will they do anything to fix it before the race?

2012-08-19 2:27 PM
in reply to: #4368313

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bnclev - 2012-08-17 2:57 PM

i'll preface this by saying everyone is different. I have 2 little kids (almost 5 and almost 3). The thing that really just sticks out is the general length of time for the long sessions. Being gone for 5-6 hours at a time is tough. My wife is more than supportive on because she knows its finite. The long rides just take a lot of time on Saturday/Sunday. Having to find time for a 2 1/2 - 3 hour run is a little bit tougher also..i do those at night generally. And then the accumulation of the other sessions jsut gets tiring.

last year i think i maxed at 11 hours 3 weeks prior to the race, but was generally at 8-9 the whole season going up to the HIM. I had no real plans to an IM this year prior to the Rev last year. I thought i would use it as a measuring stick to see where i was. I had a goal of 6 hours. Ended up at 5:25 and did not kill myself by any stretch and had a gret time. SO much so that i decided to move on to the IM this year, so that's how that worked. the only thing i wanted to do was really up the distance on my running for this season. This year, i was 8-10 early on and then have weeks of 13, 15, 14, 18 and 15. Got sick in one 13 hour scheduled week that turned into 6 or would have one more up there.

You are prepared for the HIM. You put in much more work than i did. From my perspective, and everyone is different again, you don't need to find much more room next year to do this if you want. It really comes down to an added 2-3 hours for the long bike and 1 hour or so for the long run, especially in the last build phase. the hours there, at least for the BT plan i mostly used, was 13,15,17,18 for the peak build. Some people do it on more i know, but some do it on less.

Bryan,

You went 5:25 for your first HIM on 8-10 hours of training?!  You must have a lot of talent.  That's great!  I'm sure you'll do well at the full distance, too.  

Thank you for all of the feedback.  I asked my coach how much more training it would take to go the full distance, and she said the weekly stuff would be more of the same, but the weekend sessions would get longer (much like you said).  I think I may set 2014 as my IM year and try Louisville or something.  We'll see.  This sport is addictive, that's for sure.  I'm going to nail down the HIM distance first - signing up for Eagleman 70.3 and Half Rev Cedar Point again next summer.

I was at the preview, but I didn't see anyone with an adidas visor.  My car broke down so I showed up late and wasn't able to chat at all.  I liked the bike course!  Can't wait until race day.  

Jen

2012-08-19 9:03 PM
in reply to: #4370022

Extreme Veteran
NE Ohio
jarvy01 - 2012-08-19 3:27 PM

Bryan,

You went 5:25 for your first HIM on 8-10 hours of training?!  You must have a lot of talent.  That's great!  I'm sure you'll do well at the full distance, too.  

Thank you for all of the feedback.  I asked my coach how much more training it would take to go the full distance, and she said the weekly stuff would be more of the same, but the weekend sessions would get longer (much like you said).  I think I may set 2014 as my IM year and try Louisville or something.  We'll see.  This sport is addictive, that's for sure.  I'm going to nail down the HIM distance first - signing up for Eagleman 70.3 and Half Rev Cedar Point again next summer.

I was at the preview, but I didn't see anyone with an adidas visor.  My car broke down so I showed up late and wasn't able to chat at all.  I liked the bike course!  Can't wait until race day.  

Jen

your car broke down? That really sucks. How'd you make it there? That water was rough, but i was actually glad it was like that for practice. I felt pretty good. The bike course was good. That 13 mile stretch out of Milan is supposed to have a tailwind, but it hasn't the last 2 times. Glad you were able to get there and practice. That will be helpful of where to let loose and when to hang back a bit (like on those false flats).

2012-08-19 9:09 PM
in reply to: #4339844

Extreme Veteran
NE Ohio

kenb321 - 2012-07-31 5:17 PM The event will start and end at Sawmill Creek Resort in Huron, OH.  It is about 8 miles from Cedar Point!

Ken, I was in your group heading out for that first 28 miles yesterday. Didn't get a chance to introduce myself, but thanks for leading the group.

2012-08-20 6:43 AM
in reply to: #4370459

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bnclev - 2012-08-19 10:03 PM
jarvy01 - 2012-08-19 3:27 PM

Bryan,

Jen

your car broke down? That really sucks. How'd you make it there? That water was rough, but i was actually glad it was like that for practice. I felt pretty good. The bike course was good. That 13 mile stretch out of Milan is supposed to have a tailwind, but it hasn't the last 2 times. Glad you were able to get there and practice. That will be helpful of where to let loose and when to hang back a bit (like on those false flats).

I stopped at the McDonald's right off the Rye Beach exit to use the restroom and when I got back into my husband's car, it wouldn't start.  I think I locked the steering wheel or something.  Called my husband and he told me to ride my bike to Sawmill Creek and he'd be there to help me get it started after the ride.  Strapped on my transition bag and rode down to Sawmill (it was right around the corner).  I asked someone for a ride down to the Marina and asked for a second ride back to my bike.  LOL  My husband showed up just as I rolled in on the bike, and he got it started quickly.  Felt like a complete fool.  The worst part was having nowhere to home base.  Everyone else got to put their stuff in their cars.  I left my bag out on the grass.  

Anyway, I am so glad I did the preview.  I'm going to join the CTC and start going to some of their events.  I thought it was great that they hosted this for us!

2012-08-24 12:37 PM

Jen, Did you ride on Cedar Point Road?  Just wondering your thoughts on it??  I drove on it last weekend and there seemed to be a lot of pot holes and bumps. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rev3 Cedar Point Preview Day hosted by Cleveland Tri Club Rss Feed