Swim Bike Run Northwest
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 08m 2s
Overall Rank = 32/634
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 3/44
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4AM. Got water bottles, bike, clothes and put in car. Ate powerbar performance energy on drive to Liberty Lake. Arrived at transition and setup bike. Shoes in front of front wheel, running shoes in front of rear wheel. Continued to sip on water till about 6:45 and ate a powerbal gel with caffeine. Got wetsuit on and headed to start of race. Took another sip of water at race start.
Event warmup:

Just walked the half mile to the swim start. Did some quick arm rotations nothing fancy. Got into the water about 3-4 minutes before my wave started and swam about 50 yards.
Swim
  • 14m 22s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

I felt like I should of swim faster than I did but I am thinking that the current was stronger last year than this year in the race.
What would you do differently?:

I would of paced myself a bit more in the beginning on the race. I tried to draft on some of the people but I ended up passing them and then they ended up passing me further down when I slowed down.
Transition 1
  • 00m 51s
Comments:

I ran up to T1 and right outside of T1 I stopped and took my wetsuit off. I know of another person that did the same thing. I think that was a smart move on my part as I wasn't having to deal with all the rocks in the transition.

wear my race belt instead of spending the 5 seconds to put it on. I struggled just a bit with it.
Bike
  • 29m 57s
  • 11 miles
  • 22.39 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike course was not as congested as last year although I feel that the road condition on the uphill coming back has gotten worse plus with the head wind at that point made it more difficult. It would be nice if the organizers really made sure to let others know to stay right unless you are actively passing. I had to yell many times to let people know I was passing them and to move over.

Push it harder on the bike. I felt like I needed to save some but in the end I should of pushed harder and also I should of used my tri bike instead of my road bike. Maybe carbon bike and carbon wheels absorb more of the poor road conditions.
Transition 2
  • 00m 49s
Comments:

Racked bike, said good luck to guy leaving transition and put shoes on.

Buy the nice quick lace shoes so I don't need to tie them
Run
  • 22m 3s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt like I was running faster than I ended up running but I am not sure if it is because I have been training for longer distances and haven't focused on high intensity like I usually do.

Need to figure out how to keep from blistering on arch of foot without socks on.
Post race
Warm down:

drank water and ate food

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Maybe lack of training for this type of race. I concentrated on half ironman training and did this just for fun.

Last updated: 2012-06-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:22 | 880 yards | 01m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/44
Overall: 0/634
Performance: Below average
Suit: Vortex 3
Course: Point-to-point downstream in the Spokane river. Current is mild and varies from year to year. Start is just off the shore at a point that is a half mile upstream from transition - a deep water start, but there is room along the edge for a wade start. Exit is a dock ramp that is lowered into the river. About a two-hundred yard run from the ramp to transition.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:51
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:29:57 | 11 miles | 22.39 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Three loops - starts with some fairly technical turns on the streets of the Riverstone development, followed by 1.5 miles of straight, gradual decline, then after the turnaround is 1.5 miles of mild uphill on very rough road, then back through the development to start the next loop.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 100
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:49
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:22:03 | 03.1 miles | 07m 13s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
181 average heart rate for the race
Course: Starts flat then a gentle slope uphill. A little past the 1st mile marker, there is a short steep hill and then a mild climb to the 2 mile mark. After that it is back down the steep hill and mild downhill until the last half mile where it flattens out.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2012-07-31 2:08 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Race the River Triathlon

2012-07-31 2:47 PM
in reply to: #4339549

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Subject: RE: Race the River Triathlon
Nice race! Third place is a great finish with all the tough competition in that age group.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Race the River Triathlon Rss Feed