General Discussion Triathlon Talk » best place to run/ride in Sedona Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-07-31 4:22 PM

Scottsdale, AZ
Subject: best place to run/ride in Sedona
Hi folks!
Going up to Sedona for the weekend soon with my husband's company. Need to get either a run/ride in (hotel doesn't have a gym) and thought a nice trail run would work. What are some of the trails that would be good for this...pretty level (relatively speaking for the area) and maybe around 5-7 miles?
another option is to bring my MTB up...suggestions for longish trails that are easy/moderate?

Thanks!!!

2012-07-31 8:54 PM
in reply to: #4339863

User image

Master
Sedona, AZ
Subject: RE: best place to run/ride in Sedona

A good relatively flat trail run is Bell Rock Pathway. I think it's 4 miles 1-way. There are so many trails you can run or MTB for a long time. I have some others I like too, but Bell Rock is the flattest. You can take the Courthouse loop (off of Bell Rock) if you want to extend it. I assume it needs to be a loop or out-and-back?

Road biking is a little different. What distance are you looking for? If you want to climb, Mingus Mountain is nearby (12.5 mile 3500' climb). There is also a nice loop around Sedona and Cornville that take you by the wineries in Page Springs. Gotta admit, there aren't a lot of roads out here so most rides will be a permutation of this. Very pretty though. Flag isn't too far either.

Let me know what you're looking for and I'll get you the info.

2012-08-01 9:59 AM

Scottsdale, AZ
this is GREAT! I'm mostly looking for somewhere I can get a decent trail run in, considering I don't do a lot of trail running here in Scottsdale. I've been doing lots of hill workouts on the treadmill, but still quite a novice when it comes to running out in the desert. That's why I was looking for something flat-ish. The Bell Rock path sounds perfect.
Regarding biking...probably stick to MTB since my husband is bringing up his, so I'll bring my MTB and leave the roadie at home. Again, I'm more of a roadie, but used to MTB a lot, so just something to get some miles in, not risk a bad fall and have fun. would love to be out for 2-3 hours - so longer is better.
We are staying at L'Auberge and have some activities planned, but really wanted to get out and fit in some training.
Any help is appreciated, thanks!!
2012-08-01 11:50 AM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ

Here's a great website:

http://www.sedonahikingtrails.com/

We've used it to find lots of great hiking trails around Sedona. West Fork is one of my favorites, it's flat, shady and follows a stream. There's good parking and restrooms at the start, it's an out and back so you can turn any time you want. You don't need a RR pass for this trail but there is a small parking fee. We go to Sedona all the time to hike, in summer the temps can be in the 90's. A lot of the red rock trails are just that- trails thru the rocks and can get quite hot. Either start early or look for the trails that say they have shade.

As for Mtn biking. We have not done any trails in Sedona, but we use this website to find trails wherever we go, there is a list of trails for Sedona and it lists difficulty, distance etc.

http://www.singletracks.com/arizona-bike-trails_4.html?city_get=Sedona

Enjoy!!!

2012-08-01 3:14 PM

Scottsdale, AZ
Thanks Sally! Will look at the site - great info!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » best place to run/ride in Sedona Rss Feed