Bellin
48F / 9C
Sunny
Total Time = 39m 5s
Overall Rank = 132/6528
Age Group = M20-24
Age Group Rank = 36/242
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 6:00am. Drank a mixture of 1 scoop of Perpetuem. Ate a banana and a Gu. Stretched a little and got all my stuff together. Headed out the door at 7:00 am.
Event warmup:

Once we got there, we put out stuff in the bag-n-tag, met up with Amy's mom and hit the head. While I was waiting in line I did some stretching to keep my legs warm and my HR up. 15 minutes pre-race I took down a Vanilla Hammer Gel (which tastes like the bavarian cream filling in a donut, Mmmm).
Run
  • 39m 5s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 06m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

I was able to get a "Preferred 2" starting position since I had put down that my estimated finish time was 40 minutes. Im glad I was able to get that and be somewhat in the front. Being in the back with 10,000 people in front of me would have killed my time. Even though I was about 100 feet from the start line at the beginning, I still had to weave through people for the first 1.5 miles. After that the pack sort of thinned out. I say "sort of" because the start line was a 4 lane road filled on both sides with people and it eventually changed to 2 lane roads 1.5 miles down the road. I was trying to keep under 6:25/mi and was able to do so throughout most of the race. I was :05-:10 above it few times but that was in the beginning when I was dodging people and also on the inclines. I felt really good throughout the whole race and it went by pretty quick. At the last .6 mile or so, I gave it all I had was when I looked at my watch I was running 5:45 or so miles. Nice! I dont think I could have went much longer at that speed, and Im happy with when I decided to turn the afterburners on.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, Excellent race!
Post race
Warm down:

After I crossed, I got my lungs back, got my chip taken, got my medal and hung out for a while. I ran into a few guys I knew and talked to them about the course. We went and got a drink and I headed back to the finish to wait for Amy and her mom. They crossed right around the 1 hr mark and after they finished, we went to the food tent and started to shove our faces. I wanted to enought to get a good recovery, since I have the GB Tri the next morning.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My short course running ability. I havnt worked very much on sprint workouts and, if I had, I probably could have done a little better.

Event comments:

This was the 30th Anniversary for the Bellin Run. This event was huge. They had 10,324 people registered for the whole thing (kids run, 10k Run, 10K walk , 10K wheelchair). There were plenty of volunteers all over the place, plenty of parking, huge food tent, they had a chiropractor giving free adjustments afterward (which I took up) and people giving free massages after the run. Amys mom wanted one, so we waited in line and since we were waiting in line anyways, Amy and I got one also. I would highly recommend this race to anyone. Its a very well, put together event!

Last updated: 2006-06-08 12:00 AM
Running
00:39:05 | 06.21 miles | 06m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 36/242
Overall: 132/6528
Performance: Good
Avg HR: 166; Max HR: 178. 5k Split Time: 19:37
Course: The course was a nice loop on good roads. There was a gradual incline in the beginning, but two nice downhills followed almost immediately after. There were water stops at every mile and there were also people spraying hoses all over the place. Good course! There were lots of people all over the place and also had volunteers riding bikes to make sure everything was cool with everyone.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-06-10 6:52 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Bellin Run

2006-06-11 10:25 AM
in reply to: #449974

User image

Master
La Crosse
Subject: RE: Bellin Run

Oooooooh, you're fast.
2006-06-12 8:11 AM
in reply to: #449974

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI
I wonder if I could run ONE mile in 6:17.  NICE!  I wonder if we'll see <6:00 pace from you before the summer's out?
2006-06-12 8:27 AM
in reply to: #450875

User image

Expert

Probably not for a 10k, but there is a smaller 5k mid-July that Im going to do. That race has a killer hill you have to run twice though.

-Rob 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bellin Run Rss Feed