General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner question about the training plans Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-06-19 6:50 PM

Subject: Beginner question about the training plans
Hello,

I am absolutely new to this forum as well as triathlon in general. I have been doing various sports the last years, including working out at least 3 times a week in combination with endurance sports like biking, swimming, etc. I have been thinking about training for triathlons for some time but haven't been able to keep up a routine out of several relocations, etc. My focus is not necessarily on getting really competitive. Doing an actual race would be more useful for getting to know my limits and work on them than winning a race. Basically I am doing this because I love doing sports.

Anyway, with my backgrounds and time ressources I think about giving the Training "20 Week Swim Focused Sprint" a try. I can do any of the parts in the program but I can't find information about how hard to train on them. What I am confused about is the following: There are obviously time limits on how long to train on each discipline per session (eg 12-Swim would mean swimming for 12 minutes, right ?). However, how hard would you recommend me to challenge myself? Should I always try to get to the limit, like being really exhausted after the swim and bike in combination ? I want to do strength training besides the training plan and maybe do some Yoga or Tai-Chi. Or would it be better not to get too anaerobic most of the time ?

Would be great if you have some comments on this since I really want to start ASAP but really don't know about how hard to push it each time. If this mail got too confusing I apologize for my English, don't hesitate to ask if you are not sure what I mean :-)

thanks,
Robert

2004-06-20 12:32 AM
in reply to: #32515

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: Beginner question about the training plans

being that these programs are just simple minutes-based, slower endurance sessions will be most benificial - especially if your new to the 3 sports...so you would not want to be gasping at the end of your workouts.

BUT since u do have a background, u can do some intensity-specific training.  all of your 'long' days will definitely be easy days...just focus on the distance, not on speed.  for the 'short' sessions, you can build some speed into it, push yourself harder, etc.  u can check out http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/Scott%20Herrick/HRMoniterPartII.htm for a simple method to gauge your effort on workouts...ie, real perceived exertion.  or do heart-rate training.  u would keep your long workouts in the zone I or II from max hr OR zone 2-3 on the modified RPE...from this your 'short' workouts will take it up a notch and u will be training at a few higher levels.

training to exaustion (from speed or endurance) on every workout will def burn u out quick.  just keep those long workouts easy, breezy.  and more simply, listen to your body.  if your feeling great and can push yourself to be faster, no harm in doing that...just give your body rest and slower workouts to help rebuild.

u should have no problem incorporating strenght, yoga or tai chi.

let us know if any more questions or i need to clear anything up.

GOOD LUCK!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner question about the training plans Rss Feed