General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Would like to buy a Desoto wetsuit, but... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2012-08-01 2:58 PM
in reply to: #4340871

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Would like to buy a Desoto wetsuit, but...

I upgraded from my old 1-piece Neosport to a Black Pearl this year and here's what I can say:

1. I'm faster in the new suit, and now that I'm used to dealing with two pieces, faster in transition too.

2. If you email Desoto, you get a pretty thorough reply very quickly and in fact you may get multiple replies if the person who answers you thinks of something else to add.  If you have any issues, Emilio himself will likely contact you directly.

3. The quality of their goods is first-rate. They care a lot about their reputation.

Everything else for me was icing. It's hard not to like Emilio's story, Cuban immigrant turned successful triathlete, successful and conscientious businessman, and family man.

2012-08-01 3:02 PM
in reply to: #4341882

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I am pretty sure the comments are made innocently, and my read is that it was an explanation of the materials available on the market and their role in it.  Since Emilio is a BT member, maybe he'll speak up.

I am also pretty sure he's out there wondering about the increased web site traffic and probably increased sales!

Edited by BikerGrrrl 2012-08-01 3:02 PM
2012-08-01 3:05 PM

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
BrianRunsPhilly - 2012-08-01 12:58 PM

I upgraded from my old 1-piece Neosport to a Black Pearl this year and here's what I can say:

1. I'm faster in the new suit, and now that I'm used to dealing with two pieces, faster in transition too.

2. If you email Desoto, you get a pretty thorough reply very quickly and in fact you may get multiple replies if the person who answers you thinks of something else to add.  If you have any issues, Emilio himself will likely contact you directly.

3. The quality of their goods is first-rate. They care a lot about their reputation.

Everything else for me was icing. It's hard not to like Emilio's story, Cuban immigrant turned successful triathlete, successful and conscientious businessman, and family man.

How dare you bring politics into wetsuit discussion!!

2012-08-01 3:17 PM
in reply to: #4341900

User image

Pro
JasenGuy - 2012-08-01 4:05 PM
BrianRunsPhilly - 2012-08-01 12:58 PM

How dare you bring politics into wetsuit discussion!!

Who, me?

(stirthepot.gif)

Attachments
----------------
stirthepot.gif (1KB - 9 downloads)
2012-08-01 3:23 PM

User image

Regular
BrianRunsPhilly - 2012-08-01 2:58 PM

I agree with all of the above based on feedback from this site(and ST), and knowing these things I was surprised at the steps beyond simple product description. Another thing I'm fully aware of is that triathlon and cycling are not necessarily a cross section of society relative to political perspective, and tend to be more "earthy" in general.  Perhaps waving the proverbial Patagonia green flag is a viable strategy in cycling/tri marketing. What do I know?... Proceed with the flogging...Foot in mouth

2012-08-01 3:26 PM
in reply to: #4341326

User image

Master
San Antone, Texas

bufordt - 2012-08-01 11:59 AM The only thing political on the Desoto website was the OP's opinion. Conservation isn't a Republican or Democrat value. I believe that both parties are for conservation, they just disagree on how it should be accomplished. One thinks that they government needs to push private businesses to be more ecologically responsible and the other thinks that the market will naturally drive that change when it needs to happen. Desoto is, if anything, an example of the market influencing a company. I guess you think Honda and Ford are making mistakes by advertising their greenness. Maybe the OP was upset by the Chik-Fil-A fallout and searching for someone on the other side to yell at.

^^ This.

You're searching for a problem that doesn't exist dude.  And you're going to miss out on one of the best wetsuits made and the great customer service that comes with it.

To each his own.  But it sounds pretty silly to me. 

2012-08-01 3:30 PM
in reply to: #4341836

New user
ryanperry - 2012-08-01 12:43 PM

And again, don't take me too seriously, I just had one of those eye-rolling, here we go again moments when I was attempting to read the merits of this suit. 

It's hard not to take you seriously when you were so upset that you posted your intent to not buy the product on a message board that is read by the owner of the company.

I don't see any difference in Desoto from thousands of companies who talk about the environment in their marketing. Just do a Google search for some product you own and the word 'green' or 'environment' and I'm sure you will find lots of info.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=honda+green

Whether you, Tom, and tjfry like it or not 'Green' is used in marketing by everyone. It seems silly to get upset at Desoto for using it too. If you were trying to start a discussion on the usage of 'Green' in marketing you would have been better off not mentioning a specific brand, especially one that is pretty well liked in the Tri community.

BTW if you are all trolling, good job!
2012-08-01 5:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
I didn't know their suits were two piece.  Seems like a lot to take off in T1.  
2012-08-01 6:36 PM
in reply to: #4342246

User image

Pro
guppie58 - 2012-08-01 6:59 PMI didn't know their suits were two piece.  Seems like a lot to take off in T1.  
35 seconds, mostly while running. Probably faster if I practiced more.
2012-08-01 6:44 PM

User image

Expert
San Luis Obispo, CA
ryanperry - 2012-08-01 7:46 AM

I'm having a hard time getting past all the political BS on the website. As a business owner, I cannot see how mixing your political beliefs with business is a good idea. Invariably you'll alienate nearly 1/2 the population no matter which side you're on. I know they stay on these forums, so Emilio, it cost you a sale today...

Guess I'll look into TYR, Blueseventy--other suggestions?  already have a sleeveless xterra, looking for full suit

So, what your saying is, you're now going to buy a suit made in China.

2012-08-01 6:48 PM

User image

Regular

I don't think I was searching for something that didn't exist, quite the opposite. I think I found something I wasn't looking for and didn't care to see. The simple fact is that there's a definitively negative indictment of the oil industry, drilling process, and petroleum industry in general. It's only a few sentences, and seemily innocuous, but there nonetheless. It's a calculated step beyond simple product description that rubbed me the wrong way, right or wrong, it did. So be it. I know Emilio is well respected on here an ST, I respect that, as well as respecting other peoples stances on issues. I would imagine others would respect my simple frustration as well as my right to voice an opinion however unpopular it may be. If it's an innocent semantics issue I'm sure he'll be around here to clarify shortly. Otherwise, I'll take it for how I read it and make my decisions accordingly. I'm not knocking the products or company at all, simply the marketing choices. There are consequences to mixing political belief systems with business. I realize my stance isn't popular here and I understand, I'm sure i'm over sensitive in an election year, but it stood out to me as a very integral part of the product description. It's possible some don't see it as such due to their belief system?

Edited by ryanperry 2012-08-01 6:52 PM

2012-08-01 6:55 PM
in reply to: #4342313

User image

Pro
ryanperry - 2012-08-01 7:48 PM

I don't think I was searching for something that didn't exist, quite the opposite. I think I found something I wasn't looking for and didn't care to see. The simple fact is that there's a definitively negative indictment of the oil industry, drilling process, and petroleum industry in general. It's only a few sentences, and seemily innocuous, but there nonetheless. It's a calculated step beyond simple product description that rubbed me the wrong way, right or wrong, it did. So be it. I know Emilio is well respected on here an ST, I respect that, as well as respecting other peoples stances on issues. I would imagine others would respect my simple frustration as well as my right to voice an opion however unpopular it may be. If it's an innocent semantics issue I'm sure he'll be around here to clarify shortly. Otherwise, I'll take it for how I read it and make my decisions accordingly. I'm not knocking the products or company at all, simply the marketing choices. There are consequences to mixing political belief systems with business.

Absolutely you are correct. I assume that he, like all small business owners, has made that decision in how they choose to produce and market their products. I still do not understand how you come to your conclusions but if that prevents you from purchasing from DeSoto that is your choice. I'm sure he decided long ago upholding his values were more important than grabbing every buck
2012-08-02 9:37 AM

User image

Master

Would you admit that the gulf oil spill was disastrous for the waters and of the gulf and the surrounding shorelines?  Do you have an issue with a manufacturing process that releases less heat into the environment and uses less or non-toxic substances in the process.  I'm still struggling with what your issue is.  Do you like being dependent on oil?  Do you like being wed to substance that pollutes our environment in the mining, production, refinement and use of that substance? 

I'm still struggling with how their product description could have upset you so bad that you choose to buy another product.

2012-08-02 11:53 AM
in reply to: #4343121

User image

Regular
dangremond - 2012-08-02 9:37 AM

Would you admit that the gulf oil spill was disastrous for the waters and of the gulf and the surrounding shorelines?  Do you have an issue with a manufacturing process that releases less heat into the environment and uses less or non-toxic substances in the process.  I'm still struggling with what your issue is.  Do you like being dependent on oil?  Do you like being wed to substance that pollutes our environment in the mining, production, refinement and use of that substance? 

I'm still struggling with how their product description could have upset you so bad that you choose to buy another product.

I have a home on the coast, less than 75 miles from where the oil spill occurred.  I can ASSURE you that no one on this forum was impacted as much as I.  I lost a high school friend in the explosion. I literally fished at that rig with my own personal boat on nearly a weekly occasion. I dreaded the impending impact of the coming waves of crude to the beaches and marshes near my house. My true passion for offshore fishing was certain to be impacted with massive fish kills. Yet, much to my surprise, none of that happened. I never saw any oil. None, not a drop. Not in the water, not on the beach. I never saw a dead animal, or sea creature. None. And I was there. I fished and ran my boat all over the gulf during the heart of the spill. I caught more tuna that summer than any before, and continue to do so. I was astounded by the images I saw on the national news, since they were in my backyard and were in direct conflict with what I saw with my own eyes. Take it for what it's worth, but by far the biggest disaster was the loss of life. The biggest oil spill in history had nearly zero ecological impact.  In my area, the oil industry provides energy to the country that the country simply can't survive without. It provides good paying jobs to millions of people on the gulf coast. Contrary to what you may expect, the rigs themselves have a huge, enormous impact on the environment in a positive way. I dive them. They're all completely covered in coral, and teeming with sea life such as tropical fishes, turtles, whales, dolphins, and of course the very finest sportfishing in the world. Of course it's not a perfect system, nothing is, but WAY more good than bad comes out of it. One simple glance with your own eyes will be all you need to be able to realize how much good comes from the mere existence of the rigs in the gulf. It's a haven like you've never seen, and there's no pollution.  I know it's impossible for you to visualize b/c you can only know what you see, and the images portrayed are the images people want you to see and the ones that generate ratings, not always the reality. So to answer your question, it was not disastrous in any way that I could see at all. The loss of life was extremely disastrous, yet the cleanup was a tremendous success. Certainly a very regrettable event, but so you know, ALL energy comes at a price. There is no free lunch. 

The reality is that more often than not "green technology" results in a consumer level product that costs a premium and offers worse performance, most of the time at no difference to the environment, only a difference in perception. I'm speaking in generalities, not necessarily about Desoto, but these products are sold under the guise of conservation, but in reality exist to either make a statement, appeal to a certain marketing demographic, or secure government funding handouts. Take ethanol as a great example. Here's a biofuel that takes the equivalent of 1.5 gallons of gas to produce one gallon of EtOH. And when the product reaches the consumer you have a fuel that is less efficient, costs more, has notably worse performance, and is harmful to engines. Keep in mind that you burned more fuel making it than you created. Yet, people feel good about it b/c they're putting renewable corn into their tanks. It's sold to the public as an alternative fuel, yet it INCREASES our oil usage.The reality is this example is a special interest subsidy and nothing more, sold to us as conservation, and funded by our tax dollars, as well as increased fuel and food prices.

That scenario aside, I'll focus more on Desoto. I'm 100% for conservation of resources, of course I want clean air and water and independence from foreign oil. I applaud Desoto for sticking up for what they believe in, and practicing what they preach, if that is what indeed they are doing. I commend them for putting their money where their mouth is so to speak. But, conversely, being the devil's advocate, what is being saved by not using a petroleum based compound? How much oil are we really talking about?  Does anybody think there's an appreciable difference in energy used either way, or does one just sound better? I don't know them personally, but I would assume that since they've made this commitment to the environment that the family carries it throughout their life, doing such things as not using petroleum laden things like sports cars, boats, large homes, SUVs, airplanes, heated swimming pools, BBQ grills, etc. The seemingly tiny amount of oil used in the creation of a wetsuit would certainly pale in comparison to other things used in day to day life. So either the Desotos are a.) totally into the conservation, or b.)their description is either  there to make a statement or appeal to a particular demographic.  If it's "a", then I applaud their sticking to their values, despite our differences of opinion on where energy should come from. If it's "b" then I could've done without the comments.  Sorry if I offended y'all, but I simply wasn't expecting to see a drilling is bad message while shopping for a wetsuit. I'm totally in favor of people voicing their opinion, be it at a stump speech, or on their product website. I'm voicing mine as well, plain and simple. My opinion is that if you put a political statement in your sales pitch you run the risk of alienating groups. Of course, the opposite can happen, as did in the ChikFilA case study, but it's a calculated risk that I'm unwilling to take in my business...

2012-08-02 12:01 PM

User image

Regular
I regret that I put this thread in the triathlon forum and not in the off topic--so I apologize for that. I'm going to bow out of this discussion from here on out unless the thread gets moved in hopes that it dies a quick death to page 2. I enjoyed the feedback from you guys, truly I did. It's good to hear other perspectives. I still like the idea of the two piece suit, haha....
2012-08-02 2:59 PM

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX

4 pages into a thread and no discussion of the actual product.

Oh yeah, it isn't political at all. Not a chance.

2012-08-02 3:03 PM
in reply to: #4343552

User image

Master

ryanperry - 2012-08-02 1:01 PM I regret that I put this thread in the triathlon forum and not in the off topic--so I apologize for that. I'm going to bow out of this discussion from here on out unless the thread gets moved in hopes that it dies a quick death to page 2. I enjoyed the feedback from you guys, truly I did. It's good to hear other perspectives. I still like the idea of the two piece suit, haha....

Dude - then buy the frickin' suit. 

I reread their description and I think Emilio agress with you about most folks "green" campaigns (I agree 100% with your comments on green alternatives using more natural resources than the un-green alternative).  He tells you upfront we call it GreenGoma buts its not entirely Green.  I think we all share the same goal to move away from petroleum dependence.  I'm just surprised by your visceral reaction to a company trying to make a product that's a bit better from an environmental perspective.

2012-08-02 5:00 PM

User image

Expert
South Windsor CT
Wow, reading this thread is worse than watching the grass grow.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Would like to buy a Desoto wetsuit, but... Rss Feed  

of 3