General Discussion Race Reports! » Grand Rapids Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Grand Rapids Triathlon - Sprint Course - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Grand Rapids, Michigan
United States
Tris4Health
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 25m 16s
Overall Rank = 115/400
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 6/18
Pre-race routine:

Did not sleep at all. 1st Tri. Hot, no A/C. Ate Peanut Butter half bagel and coffee with lots of sugar.
Event warmup:

Waited in line at porta-potty laughing as some guy had an emergency and cut in line.
Swim
  • 13m 24s
  • 600 meters
  • 02m 14s / 100 meters
Comments:

Started slow. No warm up. Had slight anxiety breathing did breast for a couple of strokes and then got my groove on. By the time I rounded the bouy's I was passing swimmers left and right. Sprinted the final 200. Got a rythym of sighting on every breath.
What would you do differently?:

Warm up and sleep. Hard to a warm up here. Pace myself to be ready for T1.
Transition 1
  • 05m 51s
Comments:

Terrible. I don't know what happened. I can't remember other then I was dizzy coming out of the swim and tumbled into some bushes and got up and ran painfully barefoot to my bike. It was way too long. I'm really at a loss as to what happened in my first ever T1. Was dizzy when I came out of water. I do remember volunteers asking if I was OK.

Pace myself a little at the end of the swim. Get some sleep.
Bike
  • 36m 56s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 20.19 mile/hr
Comments:

After the disaster of T1 the bike went much better then expected. I rode full out sprint the whole way and mostly passed riders. I love my new bike. Giant Advanced Defy 2. Light, Comfortable and fast. Bike computer stopped working so I had no idea how fast I was going.

More training. Only trained for a couple months and just 2 weeks on new bike. Not rece with Aero Bars for Sprint. I could have gone even faster without them.
Transition 2
  • 02m 44s
Comments:

This went much better then T1. I was focused and ready and didn't mess around. Had a slight problem when entering trans area. My pedal snagged someone's bag and as I looked down to see what was holding me back I said, "oh crap", but then the rider behind me said he's got it and took it off my pedal...and flung it back to where it belonged! We couldn't help but laugh.

Watch where my bike is going but that is hard because your also watching our for bikers coming through trans on the way to bike.
Run
  • 26m 19s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

Never did a brick bike to run. Never occured to me to do one. Running after biking full out was tough. I was slow to start and legs felt like noodles. On top of that I was just 8 weeks out from a stress fracture so I didn't have the training miles under me. But overall did OK. No walking and actually passed runners on this nice course. Temp got very hot during run.

Not get a stress fracture 8 weeks before the race...which came back after the Tri. Be able to train more and reduce my times. Also, possibly pace myself on the bike for the run. Being my first Tri and just went full bore on everything.
Post race
Warm down:

Oranges, water and Mountain Dew Slurpee at Speedway down the road.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not able to train for the run due to stress fracture of heal bone. No open water swim prior to race.

Event comments:

My first Tri and I thought it was very well run. The entire community seemed to be behind it. I loved the atmosphere and the overall politeness of the other athlete's. It seems like the race is not an indivudal event but a human event. Everyone is helping one another, cheering them on and I loved the Cowbell noise. It just moves me on.

Last updated: 2012-08-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:24 | 600 meters | 02m 14s / 100meters
Age Group: 4/18
Overall: 108/400
Performance: Average
Suit: Wetsuit
Course: Triangle
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:51
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:36:56 | 12.43 miles | 20.19 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/18
Overall: 51/400
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:44
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:26:19 | 03.11 miles | 08m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/18
Overall: 151/400
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-08-01 1:04 PM

User image

New user

Aurora
Subject: Grand Rapids Triathlon - Sprint Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Grand Rapids Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed