General Discussion Race Reports! » Cochiti Lake Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Cochiti Lake Triathlon - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Cochiti Lake, New Mexico
United States
Chasing 3
80'sF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 53m 41s
Overall Rank = 66/149
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 11/14
Pre-race routine:

Camped at the lake in the RV with AC. Makes it nice in the morning to be able to coast the bike down to transition!

Had mashed sweet potato and water. Set up transition and hung out checking out all the bikes and people around.
Event warmup:

The swim start was from the water's edge and I have such pussy feet I just stood in one spot and waited for the start. I was in the first wave, so no real warm up.
Swim
  • 32m 33s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 59s / 100 yards
Comments:

Less than 2 mins per hundred. The wetsuit helps and the swim felt good. Again I felt hungry part way through the swim but I have had 0 GI issues. I did get completely run over by a FOP'er from the 2nd wave which i thought was pretty weak on his part. The water was super dirty, like 6 inches of visibility, but it was on the last leg of the 2nd lap and the field was spread out. Made me mad more than anything but over all the swim was good.
What would you do differently?:

I am feeling pretty comfortable with the OWS. Maybe next season it's time for a coach to make me faster.
Transition 1
  • 02m 37s
Comments:

Coming out of the water I had trouble getting my velcro undone and zipper down. To offset the jerk who ran over me someone behind me helped me out. Thanks!
If you didn't get your bike in granny gear before getting on good luck climbing the boat ramp. My wife said lot's were walking the bikes up. I had no problems and cruised up the ramp and out to the dam.

nothing
Bike
  • 1h 22m 19s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.11 mile/hr
Comments:

The road across the dam sucks, it sucks bad. 1 of my aluminum water bottle cages actually fatigued and broke off. It is really rough to the point I am bruised on my sits bones. My saddle fits great it's just that rough. My tri bike is aluminum and so is my seat post so the set up is super stiff. I think I need a carbon bike!
Everybody road the same course but after a while it's not fun. The rest of the course is really smooth so go figure. Across the dam is flat and then its a good decent and climb back up for the next loop. I had a good bike split. 2 Gus on the bike.

Gotta figure out the hydration system that works
Transition 2
  • 00m 50s
Comments:

In and out baby, gabbed a water bottle for the run

nothing
Run
  • 55m 22s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

The climb up the boat ramp again this time was tough, it's uphill essentially to the dam turnoff. I had no problem with the PF but I now have a black toe. It doesn't hurt but I could feel some pressure. 2 gus on the run 1, right away and one at the turn. Lots of water stations, but glad i brought a bottle to sip on if for nothing else but o break up the run. It's flat across the dam. I did have to walk about 100yds coming back when the course turns up off the dam road. Stsill broke an hour and I haven't run but 3 times prior to this since 6/24 (Storrie lake), 2 of those were XTERRA and DamitMan.

I think I can go back to run training now. I am glad I decided not to push it as it hasn't affected my race pace and I feel healthy.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and had some candy and water. packed up and went back tot he AC in the RV.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Even though I felt hungry at the start I have had 0 gi issues and think my nutrition is pretty good. I may try eating a little more in the morning, maybe egg white omelet in addition to the sweet potato

Event comments:

Chasing 3 puts on a great race.

Last updated: 2012-02-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:33 | 1640 yards | 01m 59s / 100yards
Age Group: 11/14
Overall: 94/149
Performance: Good
Suit: Vortex4
Course: 2 loops clockwise triangle
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:37
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:22:19 | 24.85 miles | 18.11 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/14
Overall: 48/149
Wind: None
Course: 2 loops across the dam to main hwy
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:50
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:55:22 | 06.21 miles | 08m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/14
Overall: 85/149
Course: Out and back across dam
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-08-01 4:33 PM

User image

Regular
Los Alamos
Subject: Cochiti Lake Triathlon - Olympic Course

2012-08-01 5:41 PM
in reply to: #4342104

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: RE: Cochiti Lake Triathlon - Olympic Course

Wow you sure nailed the bike in spite of it being rough.  I haven't done Cochiti and always wondered about climbing that hill from the bike ramp.

As for the murky water... that's Cochiti.  I do my OWS practice there because I figure if I can stick my face in that water I'm probably pretty good anywhere!

Congrats on a great race and thanks for sharing your RR.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cochiti Lake Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed