General Discussion Race Reports! » Saratoga Splash Open Water Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Saratoga Splash Open Water Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Saratoga Springs, Utah
United States
Desert Sharks Triathlon
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 16m 2s
Overall Rank = 81/231
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 5/10
Pre-race routine:

Got up about 5:30 to get ready. Made sure the gear was loaded up. Shaved the legs (don't know why, but it's my ritual) and helped my wife get her stuff ready to go! She did her first triathlon today(she did the pool swim though instead of the OWS)

Had a Peanut Butter/Honey Sandwich and some juice.

Ben (from work - also doing his first race) met us at the house at about 6:15 and we headed off to the race.

Got to the race, set up the T-Zone and helped Barbie and Ben set up their transitions. Had a minor brake issue with Barbie's bike, but was able to get that resolved with not much problem.
Event warmup:

Got suited up, was a bit nervous because it was my first OWS race. Went doen to the water, and swam about 100 yard warmup nice and easy.
Swim
  • 11m 9s
  • 300 yards
  • 03m 40s / 100 yards
Comments:

I swam 300 yards, in my wetsuit in the pool yesterday. I held a 5:44 overall (1:55/100 yds). My time today was DOUBLE that. Notice my course comments. This course was DEFINATELY quite a bit longer than advertised. I swam well, passed far more people than passed me. I even was one of those swim over the top of a couple, particularly at the start. Overall though wasn't too bad. Was expecting the congestion to be much worse than it was.

They had us start out of the water at the base of the ramp. Unfortunately, in addition to that confusion, no one could hear the starters whistle (2 waves -- all men - then all women) so everyone was standing there waiting -- with the clock running (wasn't long 15 seconds or so) but we finally got underway. I purposely started well to the back of the pack, as this was my first OWS and wanted to avoid much of the clawing. Ramp was a little slick in places so that made the run into the water slow, but not bad. I got into the water and swam fairly hard at first. Probably harder than I should have, but felt good. My sighting was pretty good until I got to the bouy. Had not much trouble rounding it, but didn't sight as well on the way back in than I did going out. I actually one time got way to the side of the channel and hit some rocks. Slowed me for a few seconds, but then I was on my way again. Overall, aside from the distance issue, which I didn't realize were an issue at the time, I was fairly pleased with my very first open water swim race. Run from the exit of the swim to T1 was about 50 or 60 yards, so that also added a little time.
What would you do differently?:

Be more agressive entering the water. Don't be afraid of the traffic, but pan to swim a little wide at the first. Focus on maintaining form and breathing. I could have swum better had I done that. Work on sighting. Relax and just swim. I am a capable swimmer (slow but capable) and so I need to remember the things Randy has taught me!
Transition 1
  • 02m 24s
Comments:

Not a bad transition, although the time seems VERY short to my recollection. I'd figured I'd been about 3 minutes or so. This was the first time that I've had to lose a wetsuit, so I expected this transition to be slower than the times reflect.

I've still not learned to put the bike shoes in the clips and then put them on while I'm rolling. That would save me time. I'm afraid though that might mean a new pair of Bike shoes becasue these are tough to get on my feet, even sitting still.

Learn to put shoes on while on bike
Bike
  • 36m 9s
  • 12 miles
  • 19.92 mile/hr
Comments:

Probably my best portion of todays race. I felt really good throughout this portion of the race. Pushed pretty hard, and definately gave my best to the ride today. I really enjoyed the bike today. Passed at least 15 people, because my rank climbed 15 spots over the course of the ride. I'm sure I probably passed more. I did get passed a few times, but overall, I again passed more that got passed, or at least that's what I remember.

Probably try to push a bit harder on the hilly portions to maintain speed. Don't be afraid to get going fast. I was more comfortable going faster today than on other races, but need to let myself go more!
Transition 2
  • 01m 17s
Comments:

This transition went really easily. Did a lot better here than this time, than other races. Still need to get me some YANKZ. That would shave at least 15 seconds.

Get YANKZ. I've been talking about doing that for 3 races now. Better get it done.
Run
  • 25m 2s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

This was not a good run for me today. I think with just getting over this cold I've had, by the time I got to the run, my tank was approaching empty. As usual, I didn't hydrate or take gels as nearly as well as I should (like no gels at all, only 1 small glass of water). The sun was also beating down pretty hard at this point, and the temps started rising pretty quickly. I've been running 7:30-7:50 5k's lately in my bricks, so I wasn't at all pleased with this run, other than I finished it. Much too big of pace dropoff here today, even though I still passed several people, I got passed on the run today more than I have in the past couple of races. I think most of it was the remanants of my cold though.

Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate. I need to do this better.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked it off, tried to keep from puking. Waited for my wife to come in, and becuase she was way behind me ( due to time trial start for the pool swim, plus being much slower than I) I decided to start to walk the course backward and come in with her. She, by her own words, called this a swim/bike/walk. So I walked about a mile of it in with her! Was great.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Recovering from my cold.

Event comments:

This is a good race. Actually quite well organized for a club sponsored event. (No professional race management company). Need to have a little better sound system to make it easier to hear the start of the swim. or have the sound system closer to the start line.

My main suggestion would be to make sure that they have the swim course better measured. I realize it's difficult to do that, but this was significantly longer than advertised. I'm not a fast swimmer, but to have my time DOUBLE a recent swim of comparable distance doesn't make sense. I expected to be somewhat slower, but 3:43/100 yards - NOT.
I'll do this race again. I enjoyed it, but it wasn't my very best performance.

I was VERY impressed with the volunteers who did not leave their posts, or take them down until AFTER the last participant passed. That last participant was my wife, and everyone was SO supportive. High marks for them on that!

As for my wife. I couldn't be MORE PROUD of her! She did the whole thing today, even though she had caught the cold I had last week, and was not feeling all that good. But she beat her goal time of 2:30 with a 2:21! Was a somewhat emotional experience for me to see her come running into the finish line, with the crowd cheering for her as she was DFL. But to me DFL means DARN FINE LADY! The best part is -- even with coming in last she still has something I don't! Age Group Hardware ( well ribbon in this case). She took 3rd in her AG! She's not letting me live that down! :)
I'm really proud of her accomplishment.

Last updated: 2006-05-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:09 | 300 yards | 03m 40s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/10
Overall: 105/231
Performance: Below average
Suit: Rocket Science Full Sleeve Wetsuit
Course: Start on Boat Ramp, swim out the marina channel, and return. So out and back. This distance was MUCH longer than advertised. I went to Bones in Motion after the race and plotted it out as best I could. Best Guess -- was closer to 450 METERS (about 490 yards) than 300 yards. Even the guy who took first in the swim was clocked at 1:59/100 yards. He recently did an oly distance (1500 meters) at a 1:24/100 pace -- so that further supports the notion that this swim was LONG. I spoke briefly with one of the race directors casually after the race. He told me that they had pushed the bouy out, because he thought it had originally been spotted to close in.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:24
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:36:09 | 12 miles | 19.92 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/10
Overall: 90/231
Performance:
My Garmin shows my time as 35:33 -- I like that MUCH better. But I may have hit the lap time button before I got to the timing mat. you had to get off the bike 40 or 50 yards before the timing mat. If I use my pace -- speed was 20.25 MPH --
Wind: Little
Course: Flat on the first half. Rode north along a main road 3 miles, turned around and came back past the t-zone. This road was good except for about a half mile that was kind of like a washboard. After passing the T-zone we went 3 miles south on the main road through a large subdivision and was full of easy rolling hills. There were also a couple of dips and 4 or 5 good sized speed bumps. Same course as the Spring Pool triathlon I did in April.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:17
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:02 | 03 miles | 08m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/10
Overall: 83/231
Performance: Bad
Run was actually 3.1 miles by my Garmin. Splits: Mile 1 - 7:53 Mile 2 - 8:04 Mile 3 - 8:27 last little bit - :36
Course: Pretty flat course. Gentle climbs and descents. On a trail. Approximately 1/3 mile was run on a dirt trail
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-06-10 10:38 PM

User image

Expert
Tremonton, Utah
Subject: Saratoga Splash Open Water Sprint Triathlon

2006-06-11 9:15 AM
in reply to: #450121

User image

Extreme Veteran
Provo, UT (my heart is in Seattle)
Subject: RE: Saratoga Splash Open Water Sprint Triathlon
Hey Brett, that sucks that they mismarked the swim!  Sorry I couldn't be there yesterday.  I started to feel sick on Friday night, so in the interest of being healthy for Monday, I slept in as long as I could.  Don't be too bummed about your race though, I think that you did just fine with the exclusion of the swim.
2006-06-11 9:34 AM
in reply to: #450225

New user

Salt Lake City
Hey man. Great job in the race! It was good to read about yours ( and your wife's ) experience yesterday. I appreciate you approaching me and introducing yourself too...I guess I wouldn't have known who to look for!

I also appreciate your advice on the swimming.

Keep me posted on training groups that may develop in the area and I will for sure make it to some!
2006-06-11 11:14 AM

User image

Regular
Draper, Utah

Good job on the race Brett!  You're still going to be a hard target to beat!  Despite how you think you did, I still think it would have been a close race between you and I.  I wouldn't worry about the swim.  I'm sure you did at least as well as you have been swimming in the pool or close to it. 

Sorry I couldn't be there with you -it would have been fun... but no worries... I plan on doing the Provo Tri on the 24th with you (assuming I can get a wetsuit... still not sure I want to have the disadvantage of no wetsuit! Especially after trying yours out on friday and seeing I could pull off a 1:10/100!! 

Keep up the good work!

2006-06-11 4:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Joplin, MO

You have NOTHING to be ashamed of with that performance. You did GREAT!

Very nice race report. Good advice for greenhorns like myself. Thanks.

2006-06-11 5:38 PM

User image

Master
Central, IL

Your 1st OWS!  That's awesome.  The OWS has been my biggest mental obstical to this sport and you blew through your 1st one like a hot knife through butter.  Nice.

Your bike and run were pretty awesome.  You are in one of the tuffest age divisions - - you have definitely put in the work.  Noting but positives here.  GREAT job and it is only June.  Keep it up!

2006-06-11 6:25 PM
in reply to: #450444

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Not bad at all for your first OWS. Get used to the distance measurement problems, though. Last year's Ogden was at least 1k instead of the supposed 750. I think the wind blew the buoys overnight and they ended up resetting them by guessing. All that matters is that everyone is doing the SAME course.

Looks like you had a good day on the bike. Without the speed bumps, you would have broken 20mph easy! Perhaps you overdid it a little, based on the run time, though? I have a tendency to do that.

Kudos to the wife for her first triathon. Is she getting hooked yet?

2006-06-11 7:34 PM

User image

Expert
Utah

Nice race report and good race!  I remember you and your wife.  I didn't see you come in, but watched her come down the road.  You told me how proud you were of her.  My husband won his age group and I am pretty proud of him.   Aren't tri-spouses great?

I am glad to hear about the swim distance.  I couldn't figure out why it seemed so long and my swim time was SO slow.  Swimming nearly twice as far as I thought would explain it.

Congrats on a good race!

Edited by lifesgreat 2006-06-11 7:36 PM
2006-06-11 9:04 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Congrats on a great race!

You did awesome..I'd love those bike and run paces!

Most of all you did it with your wife with your encouragement ...how fun it was you walked the last mile with her ...and she won some hardware! Great tri event for the two of you!

Neat day for both of you..now don't be sharing any more colds with her!

2006-06-12 11:17 AM

User image

Expert
North Carolina
Great race!!! Next time it could be shorter, you never know. One would hope they would get it a little closer than this though.
2006-06-13 7:20 AM

User image

Veteran
Centreville, MD

Nice job, Brett!  Another race in the books.  That was a smokin' bike leg!

2006-06-13 2:56 PM

User image

Expert
Wye Mills, MD
Very good race, Brett.  Strong in all three legs.  With the long swim course, I'd say you actually beat your goal time!
2006-06-14 8:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Blaine, MN
congrats brett.. im so glad your wife has become engaged.. its a good sign i think..  good job .. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Saratoga Splash Open Water Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed