Active.com
55F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 16m 51s
Overall Rank = 22/120
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 3/11
Pre-race routine:

Peanut butter sandwich and diet coke for breakfast about 4 hours before the race start. Loaded up the bike and hit the road.
Event warmup:

Putting on the wetsuit -- always good for a stretch, some exertion, and a chuckle from the wife, followed by a quick swim and some serious shivering during the American anthem and race instructions.
Swim
  • 16m 11s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

Was told that it "swam long" and felt longer than 1/2 mile. I don't know about that, but I did have the same thought I have in all my open water races -- what the hell am I doing in the middle of this lake when I could be in bed? Water was clear, meaning you could see your hands and the feet of the person in front of you as you swam on top of him. I've had worse. Water was warmer than the air, which felt good, and didn't taste bad.
What would you do differently?:

For the race, nothing. I dived in quick (think I was the 2nd person to stop wading and hit the water) and swam hard at the start to get away from the pack. For training, I need to do more sprint work. And practice sighting.
Transition 1
  • 03m 6s
Comments:

Ok, I have to work on my transition. Fell to the ground like a lame turtle trying to pull the suit off over my ankles all while my wife is taking photos for posterity. (I haven't even looked at those ones yet.) I don't have a tri suit so had problems pulling my shirt onto my wet body. Could not get my fingers into my bike gloves. Slipped on socks and shoes onto slightly wet feet with no concern for grass debris between the toes in an effort to hit the bike as fast as possible -- cue up ominous music, as that skipped 2 seconds to wipe my feet would cause me to stop during the run to take off right shoe and sock and dislodge debris from middle toes. And when I made it to edge of transition, could not get my shoes to clip into pedals. Just could not do it. Actually said to myself, out loud, "slow down, pal, and just clip that thing in," causing the race marshall to respond, "yes, #25, take your time."

Wipe off feet. Toughen up feet to race without socks. Practice taking wetsuit off -- wife has offered to spray me down with the hose in the back yard this summer so I can practice with a wet wetsuit. Slow down a little and do things correctly.
Bike
  • 30m 20s
  • 9.5 miles
  • 18.79 mile/hr
Comments:

Hills are tougher, i.e. longer, than they appear, and the turns are tight, especially the turn around. Course is on country roads, so little traffic. Hit 40mph on the downhill portion coming back, which means I must have really sucked going uphill to have such a slow average time.

Had a good ride, but should probably do more hill training. And practice getting on and off bike.
Transition 2
  • 01m 31s
Comments:

I'm happy with this transition. It's a slight run from dismount to bike racks and out the gate, enough to get your legs moving after the ride.

Learn to ride with feet on top of shoes, to jump off the moving bike, and all that other show-off stuff.
Run
  • 25m 43s
  • 3.5 miles
  • 07m 21s  min/mile
Comments:

Remember the grass debris between the toes? About 1/2 mile in, the foot said enough of this, it hurts, get it out now. Lost about 15 seconds here. As for pacing, I figured the run would take me about 28 minutes, so I paced it out and hit the turn at 14:31, and then picked it up coming back. Told myself that I could push it a bit harder for another 14 minutes, and from my run time, I obviously picked up the pace pretty hard. Couldn't believe the time displayed on the chute as I approached the finish line.

Wipe off toes. Ride course in advance to note mile points.
Post race
Warm down:

Hugged wife, walked up to the registration point and ate a brownie.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Poor sighting on the swim, first transition, not enough hill work for the bike, and not knowing the mile points on the run.

Event comments:

I'd do it again. Would have been a great day if the sun was out and it was warmer.

Last updated: 2006-05-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:11 | 880 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/11
Overall: 8/120
Performance: Good
Suit: Ironman Stealth
Course: Out and back across the lake, with a tiny orange buoy on the horizon. White buoys along the lane rope stretched the entire distance.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 03:06
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:30:20 | 9.5 miles | 18.79 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/11
Overall: 15/120
Performance:
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Course brochure described rolling hills. I say its all uphill about the first 2.5 miles, then rolling, and then downhill the last 2.5 miles. Beautiful country.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:31
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:43 | 03.5 miles | 07m 21s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/11
Overall: 52/120
Performance: Good
Course: Rolling hills on closed, paved road. Out and back. No course mileage markers (at least, I couldn't tell if there were).
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-06-11 4:22 AM

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
Subject: The Yellow Creek Triathlon

2006-06-11 12:35 PM
in reply to: #450163

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Subject: RE: The Yellow Creek Triathlon
Great race, and great report. Your time is impressive to me. I really felt like the swim was longer than 1/2 mile, but your time is pretty smoking for the swim as is. My RR to follow soon...

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Yellow Creek Triathlon Rss Feed