General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim PANIC!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-06-11 10:30 AM

User image

Pro
MAC-opolis
Subject: Swim PANIC!!
Did my 4th tri this morning and was pleased with 2 of the 3 events. Cut my time down by almost 7 mins from this race 6 months ago. Had a good bike and good run, but something is wrong with my head during the swim.

My first 2 races last season I had no problems swimming a .25 and a .5 leg. But my last race last season and today's race something very wrong is happening. About 150 meters into the swim, I begin to panic and the anxiety makes my breathing go to hell to the point I feel I might hyper-ventilate. Today I had to grab hold of a kayak for a minute to catch my breathe. After that, I still struggled.

The good news is I finished the damn swim...did whatever I had to do to get to the end (some dog paddling and a few times I floated on my back to catch my breath)...BUT I FINISHED. I went on to have PR's in the bike and run (race results are posted) which made up for the swim and still cut 7 mins off my time from last season at this race. But of course, I'm ruminating about the swim and worried that this is becoming a pattern. Any feedback or personal stories would be greatly appreciated.

2006-06-11 10:40 AM
in reply to: #450260

User image

Expert
North Carolina
Subject: RE: Swim PANIC!!
Somehow you must calm yourself down......easier said than done for most. I always slow down for a minute or two to let my heart slow a little and then I will start to do some swimming drills for 10-15 strokes. It keeps my mind busy concentrating on getting the drills correct and allows me to relax. After that, I start hammering away again and usually have no issues. Good Luck!!
2006-06-11 12:12 PM

User image

Master
Harvard, Illinois
I would try to spend more time in the open water. Whether it is training or just leisurely enjoying a summers day at the beach. And try to get into the water under different conditions. When there are waves and when the water is calm. Eventually you will get over it.
2006-06-11 1:49 PM

Veteran
Chula Vista, Ca

This happened to me on my first open water swim and my first club race.  The only thing that I found to help me was swim more.  I realize this might not be what you want to hear but it worked for me.   Went from swimming being the event that I dreaded to the one that is by far the easiest and less stressful.   Go to the pool till you get sick of the black line and then go some more.  Do open water swims whenever you get a chance. 

You might want to also log your workouts so we can look at your logs and tell you to  "SWIM MORE".

2006-06-11 1:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Guelph

I can totally empathize. I used to get the same thing. In fact I have my first 1500m open water swim coming up and I'm afraid I'll have the same thing.

I found that slow down my stroke and pretending I'm swimming in egg shell's help to calm me down and probably helped my stroke.

Keep trying different things to you find your happy place!

2006-06-11 2:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Seattle
I had the same thing happen to me last year.
My first triathlon (Oly) I finished the swim just fine, even though it was my first OW swim ever. On the second tri (HIM) I was panicking after about 500 m, I had to hang on to the kayak to try to calm down, not once but 3 or 4 times. I also was one of the very last people in the water so this one kayak just ended up following me the whole way in case I needed help. I probably wasted about 10-15 min, just hanging out, holding on to the boat. It was horrible! It took me almost an hour to get out of the water and I was so exhausted after battling with myself in that swim that my other 2 events were really miserable too.
I think it's purely psycological and the key is to practice OW swims and also just to pace yourself and make yourself think of something else the whole time.
I did a Stroke and Stride race (1M swim + 5K) a couple days ago. It was my first OW swim after that horrible HIM experience. I was a little worried before. But I just would not let myself think about my fear, just kept nice and easy pace and I finished just fine. I know if I try to get more OW swim experience I will do much better on my races.

2006-06-11 2:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
pnw
I done just about eevrything you cna do in the water, beach life guard, white water guide, scuba, water polo in college and swam in competition since I was in 1st grade through college.

Only time I have ever paniced in the water was a mass start in a local sprint. It wasn't my first tri either. Freaked me out and without a wet suit i would have DNF. I had started out way too fast and then got pumelled by the faster/serious contenders going past. Might as well been water polo again...but no one's head drag under I stopped let folks swim past me looked around and just kinda bobbed there for a few minutes until I got my life squared away.

I love to swim but in every race since I have been guarded and apprehensive of the start and until we get strug out a bit and I can get into my own space. Still not as serene as I woudl like but it is OK...not great just OK.

2006-06-11 3:32 PM

User image

Expert
Carmel
A little trick that may be helpful is turn over on your back. Do backstroke for a minute or two and get your bearings, catch your breath and get your heart rate under control. When you feel comfortable, then start swimming freestyle. It may help bc you are breathing constantly and you are moving. When you grab a kayak you are stagnent while you catch your breath at least this way you stay in motion. Try it when you are training in open water. Either way, good job on getting through it, that is like a whole race in itself when you are struggling.
2006-06-11 3:41 PM

I did my first OW swim in a race this morning,with only about 25 minutes of practice in the open water beforehand. Swimming on my back definitely helped, as well as a survival sort of side stroke that I leaned way back in Girl Scout camp. I also tried not to look back toward shore until I was about 6 minutes into the swim. Once I saw how far I had come, the rest seemed easier. It wasn't pretty, but I finished.

Another thing I realized yesterday during my practice OW swim... ALL of my swims are hard for the first 300-400 yards, OW or pool. Once I settle down and get past this point, I'm fine. Adding a long (easy pace) distance at the start of the swim instead of a shorter warm up helped quite a bit.
2006-06-11 4:42 PM

Elite Veteran
Were you wearing a wetsuit? I had a problem a few weeks ago with my first swim in a wetsuit and I didn't have the thing pulled up high enough. I couldn't catch my breath. I wasn't panicked, I just couldn't breathe deeply. The next swim I darn near gave myself a wedgie so I'd have lots of room in the chest and had no problems....

If that isn't the case, then you probably just need to spend time in the OW working on your sight picture. And I don't even necessarily mean swimming. Just stand waist deep and stick your head in the water. Open your eyes. Look. Yep; looks like sticking your head in a paper bag. When you need to breathe, stand up. Repeat.

Warm ups in OW also help. Best of luck in figuring out how to get over this to beat your competitors out of the water!

2006-06-11 6:30 PM

User image

Master
La Crosse
When you figure out the solution, call me. I need the help.

I'm starting to consider drastic measures on my part. Since I did so poorly in my .75K swim in June, I'm thinking that the solution may be signing up for a 1.5K swim in August, after my next .75K swim in July.

Yes, this may be considered the definition of insanity.

2006-06-11 9:09 PM
in reply to: #450416

User image

Veteran
All of this swimming stuff is so interesting...........I like the looking into a paper bag...............I think this swimming is all practice, practice, and it is going to take time.................Good Luck with your swimming.............
2006-06-12 6:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO

I feel your pain!  Just read my race report from my swim leg this weekend.  I'm just encouraged??  that so many other people - athletic people - experience the same thing -and that it will get better with more time in the water.  Great job pr'ing on the bike and run!   I have yet to do both of those after a swim so can't officially call myself a triathlete - but you my dear friend DID IT!!  CONGRATS!

2006-06-12 7:32 AM

User image

Pro
MAC-opolis
Are floaties allowed in tri's? I could borrow my little boy's Spongebob floaties...drastic times require drastic measures (LOL)
2006-06-12 9:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
pnw
Wet suits beat any floatie made....and look cooler too
2006-06-12 2:58 PM

User image

Veteran
We all have a lot to be thankful for............keep practicing................Thanks for the support.................Karen

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim PANIC!! Rss Feed