Active.com
55F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 45m 3s
Overall Rank = 109/150
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 3/5
Pre-race routine:

Stayed in a creepy hick campground, slept for 4 hours fitfully in my car, got up, washed my contacts, drove to the park. At 6AM I was teh 3rd or 4th car there and the gates to the park were locked. The race director was just hanging out passing out pre-reg packets from teh back of his truck! He didn't seem bothered at all.

Had some fig bars & water 90 minutes prior to race start, and then a gel 30 minutes prior
Event warmup:

Run warmups & jog few minutes, then rode my bike for about 5 minutes, then tryied to stay warm until race start. 6 minutes between race start & my wave, not to mention the pre-race announcments and national anthems. I was sans wet-suite and it was COLD!
Swim
  • 20m 53s
  • 880 yards
  • 02m 22s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was a cold, cold start, waiting in my trisuit for the wave to start. Air temps 50-55 degrees, overcast and windy. I was glad to finally get INTO the water.

Few saftey kayaks in sight (mabye 3?) This seemed LOT longer the 1/2 mile and I think my time reflects that. What the heck, I can swim 1 1/2 miles in San Fran Bay with waves, wind and fog in less than 2 min/100, but the yellow creek lake takes me 2'15"/100? Wierd I say...I was swimming much harder in this race too, since it was a sprint. Other folks seemed to have great times though,s o who knows.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. It was nice change to race sans wet suit.
Transition 1
  • 03m 1s
Bike
  • 42m 43s
  • 9.5 miles
  • 13.34 mile/hr
Comments:

I tried to push this bike really hard, and yet my legs felt like jello. I hadn't done anything at all since last weeks race. I was also racing on a mountian bike with slick tires...a different mtn bike than last years races so I can't really compare the times. Even still I got passed by a lot of people. Another confirmation since last week thatI need to work on overall biking strength and speed, in addition to building more base.

Continue to build bike base and do more training rides at a faster pace.
Transition 2
  • 02m 22s
Run
  • 36m 25s
  • 3.5 miles
  • 10m 24s  min/mile
Comments:

I am really pleased with this run. Even after my mediocre bike leg, this was my best run segment ever. The track & fartlek workouts I've done have tought me how to pick up my pace, even though it is only a fraction faster, I can feel the extra effort. I considered doing my usual run 10/walk 1, but I decided to see if I could run the whole event. Even though my legs felt heavy, I wasn't really getting tired and feeling liek a walk would help. I was just hoping for less than 12 minute miles. Every once in awhile I would pick up my pace just a tiny bit and try to hold it. In the end, I had my fastest run split yet! Yahoo!

My run training seems to be working, so I'll keep it up!
Post race
Warm down:

Walk to pavilion for hot tea & cookies

Event comments:

This was a well organized race for a rural area. It was not USAT sanctioned, but I was impressed with the volunteers committment. Many of the volunteers/race directors were "older", like retiree age, and it was great to see them working so hard on this fun little race. It was a fundrasier for Habitat for Humanity. THe surrounding area is beautiful and i would like to get back up there to hike and bike around a bit.

Last updated: 2006-06-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:53 | 880 yards | 02m 22s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/5
Overall: 0/150
Performance: Average
Suit: Desoto Tri suit
Course: ACross lake & back to tiny orange buoy.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:01
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: