General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running out of gas--or is it psychological? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-08-04 1:30 AM

Subject: Running out of gas--or is it psychological?

Hi

Each weekend I try to do a brick of approximately 40k bike and 10 K run. I go at a fairly moderate pace, (especially the run), so it generally doesn't take a huge effort.

But in the last couple of weeks I've been unable to finish the run---I've just completely run out of gas three weeks in a row.  I haven't changed my nutrition much (maybe dropped a couple of pounds) and I'm getting enough sleep, so I don't know what's going on.

The worst part is that I'm afraid that I'm psychologically beaten.  When I was out on the run portion of today's brick, all I could think about was when I was going to stop.  That never used to enter my mind, but now it's the prevailing thought.

I've got an olympic coming up in two weeks, and f I'm not going to be able to finish, I'm thinking about just not going.

This is unbelievably depressing, so if anyone could offer any advice, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.

2012-08-04 2:12 AM
in reply to: #4346621

Subject: RE: Running out of gas--or is it psychological?

First off, you'll be fine in the race.  You can always go longer/faster in a race than in training.

What's probably happened is that you ramped up your training quickly, and it's caught up with you.  With the race two weeks away, no need to do any more bricks.  Take your training mileage down 20% this next week, and down 40% the next week.  You've already got the fitness, and a bit of recovery will set you up for a good race.

2012-08-04 2:15 AM

User image

Elite

I can't say for sure what is going on. It could be a lot of things. But my motivation is the first sign my brain is running out of sugar. But that is easy to tell. All you do.. on your bricks.. is you end the work out, drink some sugar, and if you feel great again in 15-20 minutes... you were bonking.

Burnt out, dehydrated, not enough fitness, starving your self, going too hard on the bike, it could be anything. At least thosewere some of the reasons I did not finish some of mine last year. I did Oly distance bricks for my HIM last year, a few... all they did was give me false confidence. I have not done a single one this year. No point.

2012-08-04 5:44 AM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

It absolutely could be mental.  It isn't easy to maintain a training program--if it were, we would not have an obesity problem!  We ask a lot of our bodies and mental burnout happens from time to time.  Don't worry.  Go out there, keep giving it your best even if it's slower or you have to decrease your volume.  You've put in the work and even lost some weight.  I highly doubt that slowing the pace or cutting out early for the last 2-3 runs before your race will have that much of an impact.

You'll finish.  No matter how zapped of motivation you are right now, race day is like the ultimate motivator.  Bet ya do better than you expect.

And hang in there.  I've felt the way you feel many times and it passes, I promise.  Then it's right back to feeling energized and ready.

2012-08-04 7:32 AM

This might sound stupid but get yourself a mantra. I am a super slow triathlete and need to keep myself going as people pass me left in right in the swim/bike/run. I tell myself "I am strong, amazing and powerful" over and over as soon as I feel like giving up. Repeating it over and over makes me believe it and I keep on going. A lot of the time its mind over matter, happened to me this am as I did a brick! I also tell myself HTFU when I am being a wimp.
2012-08-04 10:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Perhaps psychological.  Maybe you've plateaued and with your body stagnant and not improving, maybe your might is reflecting that.  Make a concerted effort to push past your comfort zone.  Instead of just trying to finish, try to finish faster.  The amazing thing is that even though your mind won't be there, your body can sometimes act as an independent participant and can push through faster than what your mind thinks it can.

2012-08-04 10:32 AM

User image

Expert
, New Hampshire
I always get low on motivation and high on doubt the couple weeks before a race/event. I always think I'm out of gas, I don't know if I should bother showing up, but in the end, I always do. You've got a couple weeks to taper and give your body some much deserved rest from training. You'll be fresh for your oly, and definitely, definitely show up and do your best. You'll have the boost from the crowd cheering you on, and even if you have to have a few walk breaks, you'll still have finished. I think you can do it.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running out of gas--or is it psychological? Rss Feed