AC/S, MCCS, Semper Fit Division
68F / 20C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 00m
Overall Rank = dunno/1500
Age Group = 32 and up
Age Group Rank = 0/dunno
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:30am, took a shower made some coffee. I tried to eat but was too nervous. Chugged about a gallon of water and took my vitamins. The car was packed the night before so it was a easy drive to the race. Check in was at 6 am and I was on time with fewer that 100 racers there. I was one of the first five to set up my transition area in my division so I had the pick of the rack. This was great due to some areas having puddles of water. I pee'd like 5 times before the race, no more coffee before a race. Went over my bike and gear about 20 times and made small talk with fellow competitors.
Event warmup:

Ran up and down the ACU-5 ramp about 6 times at a gentle pace. A little shoulder stretching and electrolytes.
Swim
  • 15m 6s
  • 500 yards
  • 03m 01s / 100 yards
What would you do differently?:

Wear a thinner wetsuit with more flexibility and more open water training in surf.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I was surprised with the transition I made. I didn't time it but I was in and out of the transition area in under a minute. It would have been faster but wet wetsuits suck. I was halfway out of my wetsuit before I even exited the water.

Use suit lube around my ankles
Bike
  • 1h 05m
  • 18.64 miles
  • 17.21 mile/hr
Comments:

Terrible bike portion but this is what I was not focusing on for this race. My legs cramped the entire way and my bike quickly went out of tune. On some occasions the gear skipped on their own. The road was very rocky and would have thought the organizers would have sent a streetsweeper in to prepare for it.

Different gearing altogether maybe even different bike. This was my first tri so my $300 Schwinn was fine to see if I liked it.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Bike legs....all I can say about that. Dismounting the bike was a challenge and running to my transition area was pretty funny.

need the shoes that strap not lace
Run
  • 25m 22s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

Great run but thats a Marine thing. Started after T2 and was cramping very badly. I stopped for about 15 seconds to stretch my legs but then I was good. I had to stop and pee during the run since I had been holding it since the swim. Saw family which gave me that extra motivation to finish strong and hard.

Nothing....new shoes I guess
Post race
Warm down:

Stretches, oranges and gatorade.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Inexperience

Event comments:

MCCS always jacks things up but the Marines that volunteered were awesome. There are several venues on base where a triathlon could be held. San Onofre is perfect and the waves do not try to kill you.

Last updated: 2012-08-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:06 | 500 yards | 03m 01s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/dunno
Overall: 0/1500
Performance: Average
Suit: 4:3 Hyperflex
Course: The current was strong and the tide was low. You could feel the current in ankle deep water. I waded out about 50 feet and a bigger set of waves was tearing my division apart. I was rolled about 4 times and at one point a life guard grabbed my arm to pull me up, knocked me for a good loop. I was smart and put my swim cap on over my goggle strap. Those waves would have ripped it off my head. SW swell at 2-3 feet via Surfline but these must have been the more standout spots. My suit was too tight. I was finding it hard to get a good breath and rhythm.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: High
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:05:00 | 18.64 miles | 17.21 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Little
Course: Rolling course with some straightaways. Very rocky.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Bad Hills: Bad
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:22 | 03.11 miles | 08m 10s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Terrible Course. They had to use lanes in between building that looped around to make the 3 miles. Flat and no hills
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes