General Discussion Race Reports! » Ocean Shores Big Weekend Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Ocean Shores Big Weekend Olympic Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Ocean Shores, Washington
United States
TriFREAKS, Inc.
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 50m 37s
Overall Rank = 5/27
Age Group = 20-29
Age Group Rank = 1/3
Pre-race routine:

FIRST TRIATHLON!
Slept in a tent the night before. Big thunderstorm made for a wet morning and wet racing conditions, at least it wasn't cold! Up early, ate 2 hard boiled eggs and a some crackers and chugged a Gatorade, then headed to the park to get started!
Event warmup:

I didn't warm up too much, I was kind of all over the place trying to get my stuff set up and was not too focused. I did get a chance to warm-up in the water after the Half Iron race started. That was the only warm-up I was focused on, getting a feel for the water mostly and warming up my arms.
Swim
  • 30m 29s
  • 1584 yards
  • 01m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

I didn't get myself in a great position and it lead to me taking a foot to the face at the start which totally shook me. The race started so quickly I just hadn't wrapped my mind around what I was about to do. Suffered and panicked for the first bit of the race, but once I stopped, adjusted my goggles and took a breath I got myself together and swam well. I remember thinking "Katie, you know how to swim. Calm down!"
What would you do differently?:

A wiser start position. Also, deep breaths. I let the adrenaline throw me off my swim plan at first. Deep breaths.
Transition 1
  • 02m 3s
Comments:

Good transition. I hadn't really practice T1, but had gone over it in my head so many times my body knew just what to do. Again, I was a little shaky from all the adrenaline, so I sat down to get my shoes on. This was when I really started to feel like I was doing a freaking triathlon! My friend on the side-lines made a joke and made me smile, this was when I started having fun.

Learn to do T1 with bike shoes already on bike.
Bike
  • 1h 27m 42s
  • 24.8 miles
  • 16.97 mile/hr
Comments:

Having only bought my road bike a month before the race, I was prepared for this to be my weakest discipline. I spent the entire ride thinking I just wanted to get through it and get my running shoes on! Also, where I train is very hilly, and this was the longest flat ride I've ever done, didn't really know what to do with myself and my pacing.

Held back too much on the first half, I was worried about blowing my legs out. Once I realized the timing at the split I knew I had to step up my pace.
Transition 2
  • 01m 10s
Comments:

Easy and fast.

I ran the wrong direction from my transition spot. I guess I just got turned around, but I quickly realized it and found the Run Out.
Run
  • 49m 15s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 07m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

I was so happy to get my running shoes on and hit the pavement, even with my quads on fire! I knew from brick training that it would take me about 2 miles to get my legs at decent running ability (stride/pace), and that was pretty accurate. I ran fast and passed most of the women that had passed me on the bike, which felt good. Finished hard and strong. Hearing the crowd and seeing the finish line gave me so much energy I felt like I could keep running!

Start my final kick earlier
Post race
Warm down:

Didn't do much for some reason. A little jogging and walking around, but mostly I was just excited and over-whelmed! Could have definitely benefited from some warm-down and stretching.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Inexperience. I am really looking forward to taking what I learned to my training and my next race!

Event comments:

I think the inclement weather scared away some of the volunteers. Talking with others who had done this particular race before, they said that other years there were more volunteers and spectators, but it was kind of nasty out. More volunteers would have helped on the course and with the post-race stuff. All in all, it was a great race to do for my first race, very laid back not too huge.

Last updated: 2012-08-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:29 | 1584 yards | 01m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/3
Overall: 0/27
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Out and back, one lap.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:03
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:27:42 | 24.8 miles | 16.97 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Little
Course: Flat, flat, flat! Nice view of the ocean for a bit. Potential to have some big winds, but we got lucky and had minimal.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:10
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:49:15 | 06.2 miles | 07m 56s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Flat, so that was nice, but part of the run was on the beach, which I was not particularly excited about. Small distance on soft sand to get out to hard pack was difficult and energy sapping. The mile on the beach was nice, and the hard pack was decent to run on. Soft sand again at the turn around though, which wasn't fun, and the final bit on soft sand to get back to the road was just tough, but again, not too long.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2012-08-04 7:14 PM

New user

Subject: Ocean Shores Big Weekend Olympic Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ocean Shores Big Weekend Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed