Set Up Events
82F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 04m 53s
Overall Rank = 111/179
Age Group = 50-55
Age Group Rank = 8/11
Pre-race routine:

This was the latest I've ever signed up for a race (and it cost me!). But decided it would be a good workout and good motivation to stick to a better eating plan and exercise plan leading up to October's Olympic length tri I hope to do.

Especially if there is heat on Saturday, I'm going to have to be careful with this one. I'm not in very good shape and I'm 10 lbs heavier than I was in the spring. Not a good combination for an OLY in the Virginia summer. Will go nice and easy on the swim. Steady on the bike, but really hold back after turning off the main road (521?). Hope to hang in there for the run - doing that dang hill twice wouldn't be fun in shape... could be pretty ugly for me, especially if it hot.

Thursday pre-race goals: Swim 30 / T1 2:30 / Bike 1:23 / T2 2:00 / Run 1:05. I'll be thrilled to come in under 3 hours on this course on what I expect to be a hot day.

Race Day:
Yesterday was a bit disjointed with taking Karen to the hospital for her routine procedure. Didn't get home until late. Made dinner and ate around 9:00 which wasn't ideal. But it wasn't particularly a hard day and wasn't on my feet too much either. Also had a big glass of water and G2 mix with dinner.

Woke up at 4:08, just before my alarm went off. That was a good sign :-) Had cereal and coffee for breakfast along with another big glass of water and G2. Also took one Ibuprofen. Left at 5:20. Arrived with plenty of time... just right. No lines, no stress. Was able to stretch well. Took another ibuprofen around 7:15.
Event warmup:

Just stretching.
Swim
  • 32m 9s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 57s / 100 yards
Comments:

Generally this was a good swim given my conditioning. I did not push given that I expected it to be a long day. Focused on my stroke and sighting. Actually, sighted better than I have at recent events. Did about 3/4 freestyle 1/4 back. Was caught by surprise at about 200 yards with a toe cramp. I often have these if I swim after running/biking, but I've never had it at the beginning like this. Slowed a bit and relaxed and eventually it went away, but it seemed odd and I hoped it wasn't a sign of things to come. Otherwise, a nice swim. I actually thought my pace would have been a bit better. Overall placement was better than other disciplines.
What would you do differently?:

Not much really. I could have pushed a little harder, but I think it would have come back to haunt me later.
Transition 1
  • 01m 59s
Comments:

101 out of 177 (overall). 8th out of 11. Pretty good given that I put on biking gloves, socks, and the long transition area. No problems and I think faster than my T1s at Culpeper have been recently. Didn't drink anything since I had my bike loaded up.
Bike
  • 1h 23m 48s
  • 24 miles
  • 17.18 mile/hr
Comments:

Took advantage of a few opportunities to get into aero, but this was a course where I wish I had shifters on the aero bars (and water bottles up there too). Pretty technical ride. Have to say that for me, my shifting was pretty smooth. Didn't make too many mistakes. Went through most of the two water bottles (one half and half G2 / Water, the other just water). Probably should have used all of it. Just tough to manage the drinking on this course without either losing an opportunity to go fast or with needing to change gears. Sun came out about halfway through, and my pace slowed a bit. Decided beforehand that I would back off the last few miles to prepare for the run. Was at 18mph pace through 17 miles.

I was okay with this ride. I could have pushed more, especially toward the end, but was worried about the run. Might have cost me a couple of minutes at most.
Transition 2
  • 01m 51s
Comments:

130 out of 177. 8 out of 11. Could have been a little faster, but I took the opportunity to down some of my slushy G2 bottle. That was good.
Run
  • 1h 05m 8s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

Well, this course has always been a challenge for me. I had it in my mind that I was just going to run the whole thing no matter how slow I was. It was a mental challenge. On the hills my 15min/mile pace would have been the same if I had walked (or close). There were quite a few who walked part of the course. I was not one of them (though you might think so with my time). My lack of training caught up with me on the run, but that was not a surprise. I did the best I could. Left nothing on the course. Great cheering from the support crews... much appreciated!

Took as much water as I could (every stop / both directions), but maybe should have upped my drank/head soak ratio a bit.
Post race
Warm down:

It took me an hour to stop buzzing / feeling light headed. All told, I drank 5 bottles of water, 2 water bottles on the bike, water at the aid stations, had 6 slices of watermelon and a couple of pieces of pizza before I felt like myself and was still beat. Muscles were tired, but okay.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training, extra weight I'm carrying (could be back to Clydesdales... sigh) and to some degree, the heat in the 2nd half of my race. Heat could have been worse so I really can't complain much, but I just don't do well in the heat, especially when I'm not in good shape and carrying extra pounds. Still having back issues, but found that if I focused on relaxing more on the run, it helped. Seemed to get better as the run went on (so the back got better and legs wore out!). I'm sure the ibuprofen helped as well. Keep doing the back exercises.

I came in just under my goal time of 3:05 on a tough course. Good workout for sure! Overall, I'm pleased with my results and it has provided me with good motivation to train harder for the International in October. Make no mistake, this is a challenging course.

Event comments:

Again, this is a challenging course. Ran into several folks from the flatter parts of Virginia who said the bike course was a challenge. Also attracts a strong field as many come down from Northern VA.

This was probably the best organized race I've been to in the VTS series. Lots of REALLY GREAT volunteers, no lines, plenty of post race food, and the award ceremony was very timely (and the results were posted before I even got home!) Great job y'all! Much appreciated.

Last updated: 2012-08-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:09 | 1640 yards | 01m 57s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/11
Overall: 74/179
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Kind of crazy layout b/c of the small lake.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 87F / 31C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:59
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:23:48 | 24 miles | 17.18 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/11
Overall: 110/179
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: This is a really lovely bike course, but LOTS of ups and downs. Much like my training rides at home. Had to have a hand on the gears for much of the course. The additional miles for the course were on average more technical than the Sprint course. But also prettier. Some rough spots with the pavement and a couple of narrow bridges. Route 522 and the last part of the course were the only roads with smooth pavement. Generally tough to get a head of steam very often.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:51
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:05:08 | 06.21 miles | 10m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/11
Overall: 131/179
Performance: Below average
Course: Basically this is 2x the sprint course. You've got the hill coming up from the transition area as well as two inclines on the small roads. It's always hard and always hot. Frankly, with the sun out, it could have been worse today. The aid stations were well placed and had COLD water which really helped.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-08-05 4:06 AM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: Culpeper International Triathlon

2012-08-05 6:59 AM
in reply to: #4347445

User image

Master
South Alabama
Subject: RE: Culpeper International Triathlon

Great job on what sounds like a tough course. Sounds like you really managed your race well with your pacing. Congrats Stu!

Randy

2012-08-08 2:18 PM
in reply to: #4347445

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia
Subject: RE: Culpeper International Triathlon

Great job!  Yeah, that run course got really tough when the sun came out.  Good thing the volunteers did such a great job cheering. (Yes, I was in your AG).

Hope to meet you next year.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Culpeper International Triathlon Rss Feed