United States
Tuxedo Brothers
Overcast
Total Time = 9h 30m
Overall Rank = 70/549
Age Group = Clyde
Age Group Rank = 4/56
Pre-race routine:

Got up and had an english muffin with peanut butter. Took a gu about 45 minutes before we went, which is sooner than I would like but I didn't realize that I would be starting later than usual.
Event warmup:

Hung to the back of the pack because my neighbors brother was doing the event for the first time and we all hung out together. Next time, I'll go along with my usual number seeding and start sooner. I think going with faster swimmers would have pushed me more.
Swim
  • 12m
  • 500 meters
  • 02m 24s / 100 meters
Comments:

I started back in the pack and that meant I had to pass a lot of people. I think I got just too complacent and didn't try to push the pace at all. I'm a much faster swimmer than what I did and I think I just got caught up in the moment of watching my family while I was swimming. It was a cool experience.
What would you do differently?:

I think I would watch my pacing better on my watch and set up some alerts for when my pace really starts to drop off. I didn't put in a good effort on the swim and it showed in the results.
Transition 1
  • 01m 52s
Comments:

I kind of got lost in transition in that I didn't focus on what I needed to do. I should have practiced this part a little more because I was definitely rusty. I sat down and put my socks on and took time putting my shoes on instead of slipping them on. I also spent time getting a drink instead of wating till I got on the bike.

GO FASTER! I wasn't mentally into this race and I should have been.
Bike
  • 32m 40s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 22.83 mile/hr
Comments:

I think I could have pushed a little harder on the bike since I was't feeling too bad. The rough roads were giving me a lot of trouble and I couldn't push as hard as I should have.

Again start earlier in the race where I should have because I wouldn't have had to pass so many people and I would have had others to chase down.
Transition 2
  • 01m 25s
Comments:

This was a pretty decent transition for me although I think I could have done a little better getting my shoes off and the running shoes on. Spent some time still thinking about how slow the bike seemed to go.

GO FASTER.
Run
  • 27m 38s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

Way too slow for me. I had some people that I could have chased down but wasn't sure what my energy level would be towards the end. I had a difficult time managing my breathing, but still felt some kick in my legs. I just could go any faster which means more run training.

Train harder on the run. I need to spend more time running than I do anything else. If I can lose weight and run faster then I could be competitive in my age group.
Post race
Warm down:

Spent some time with the family and encouraged my friends to come in.

Last updated: 2012-08-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:00 | 500 meters | 02m 24s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/56
Overall: 127/549
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: Two turn course in the downtown canal in Indianapolis. The water was cool, but not cold at all.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:52
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:32:40 | 12.43 miles | 22.83 mile/hr
Overall: 20/549
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Very rough in certain parts and baby smooth in others. Unfortunately there are more rough spots than smooth.
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:25
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:27:38 | 03.11 miles | 08m 53s  min/mile
Overall: 200/549
Performance:
Course: Very flat course that is just one loop over two bridges for the Sprint distance.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes