General Discussion Race Reports! » Athleta Iron Girl Syracuse Women's Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Athleta Iron Girl Syracuse Women's Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Brewerton, New York
United States
World Triathlon Corporation
82F / 28C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 02m 47s
Overall Rank = 516/1092
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 101/183
Pre-race routine:

Same as usual: Normal b'fast and coffee, get there about 5:45 after parking, set up in transition. Kicked out of transition at 6:30. Had banana, fibre one bar. More coffee and water. Never made it to BR - lines to long, and no pressing need. Preset flip flops at end of beach, but never saw kiddie pools to clean feet - looked even!
Event warmup:

Did get in the water to swim a little before race started.
Swim
  • 17m 2s
  • 656 yards
  • 02m 36s / 100 yards
Comments:

My asthma had kicked up the previous night, so I knew going in breathing was going to be an issue. I did try to freestyle but kept running into girls who were stopping or doing other types of strokes and not sighting. I thought I had a good strategic location in the wave, but as we walked out, people went on the outside of me, so stuffed me in the middle. Couldn't get away from the pack. Wish I could have done more swimming. Better time is reflected only because of the corrected distance
What would you do differently?:

In this race, I'm not sure. I shouldn't be up front, as I am not fast, or steady.
Transition 1
  • 04m 58s
Comments:

Lots of running from Swim time matt to actual transition area in. Everything else was good.

Noticed the pools for feet?
Bike
  • 59m 46s
  • 18.64 miles
  • 18.71 mile/hr
Comments:

Dan says the reason I had so much trouble on the run was because I didn't drink enough. I thought I tried to save some legs for the run...

Push harder on the faster parts.
Transition 2
  • 02m 41s
Comments:

Glad I took a second to drink from water bottle.

Take Garmin off bike before I put it on bike. Decided to sacrifice time of Garmin on Bike vs. on wrist for ride because I knew that I needed to watch HR. Didn't even use Multisport setting for this reason.
Run
  • 38m 20s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 12m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

REALLY upset that they changed the water stations from 1 mile and 2 mile as it has been for the last 2 years until AFTER the turn around - one station. Plus you couldn't see it until you were just about there - so when there were no water stops where there were supposed to be, and even after the 2nd turn couldn't see any - gave up a bit and let myself walk more than I would have, thinking there'd be none at all. Went back to race packet and it said there would be these 2 water aid stations at these places. Never heard any notice of a change in all of the morning's announcements.
A HUGE thank you to the local home owners who put out hoses! I hated having wet shoes to run in but the cool down was SO needed. Breathing was still bad. I'd run until I couldn't breath, walk until my HR came back to 149 and then run as far as I could. Repeat procedure.

Push myself to run a lot more, despite breathing difficulties. I managed to do it the last two weeks on the longer runs!!!!!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked a lot and drank water. Took a LONG time to not feel sick to my stomach today.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Asthma brought on by allergies - high pollen count etc. Hotter than normal temps. Lack of sleep last 2 nights also really messed up my head and probably contributed to elevated HR.

Event comments:

The only other complaint was the wait to get into transition after race. I totally get not wanting anyone in before last cyclist in, but then they were only allowing 5-10 in at a time. Waited for them to leave then 5-10 more.... REALLY????? Never seen this done before. How many of my husbands races have I been to? Even this sponsor - Ironman.... (of course Ironmen don't get linen table clothes at the finish meal LOL!!!!) Cost us at least an extra hour, meaning we didn't get home until after 7:00pm on a work night.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2012-04-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:02 | 656 yards | 02m 36s / 100yards
Age Group: 121/183
Overall: 0/1092
Performance: Below average
The correct distance this year. Or at least a lot closer!
Suit: Tri - suite
Course: U shaped. Lots of kayaks and boarders
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:58
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:59:46 | 18.64 miles | 18.71 mile/hr
Age Group: 31/183
Performance: Good
Ave. HR - 147 Max HR - 158 This is HIGH for me, taken with my Asthma issues (took inhaler before each leg, too!!!) I guess I'm happy to have done this well. Only a little less than 2010. Course Conditions were worst of the 3 years.
Wind: Cross-winds with gusts
Course: Wind: All of the above. I don't know that it actually rained while I was out there, but the loop was soaking wet and puddled. Bike's a mess, as were all the white tri-kits people were wearing. Lots of Gusts, felt like Creble Road on Delmar Du and other times. Got pushed with cross winds. Still.... Rocked!
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:41
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:38:20 | 03.11 miles | 12m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 140/183
Performance: Bad
Max HR 163 Ave. HR 151
Course: Out and back - starts on walkway then over grass then over stone parking lot then on road, then back over stone, onto beach for finish. Sun had broken by then. Weather site said heat index was 88.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-08-05 8:52 PM

Bethlehem, NY
Subject: Athleta Iron Girl Syracuse Women's Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Athleta Iron Girl Syracuse Women's Triathlon Rss Feed