Set Up Events
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 31m 39s
Overall Rank = 159/179
Age Group = Novice
Age Group Rank = 13/16
Pre-race routine:

Pre-race routine? Not this time...So about 2:30am my 16 month wakes up with a 'night terrors'. We get him back down and to sleep and I was like ok I can still sleep till 5am. I check my alarm and it is set for 5am. So I roll over and bam 630am! Oh crap I don't think I have ever moved so fast. I had and hour to make it in time for chip pick-up. My wife was cool calm and collected as she made sure I didn't forget anything and gave me some pre-race nutrition as I headed out the door. Then...no gas...I totally forgot to go fill up the night before. Well I made it luckily right on time.
Event warmup:

Run from vehicle to chip pick-up. Run back to get stuff. Run back to car after forgetting sunglasses. Pretty good warm up if you ask me ;)
Swim
  • 42m 22s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 49s / 100 meters
Comments:

I did it! I was in a novice wave which was pretty cool because we were all joking and betting who would finish last so we could pass more on the bike :) It helped me relax before the start. Looking out at the lake and seeing what 1500m OWS looks like in a full distance is a lot different than doing 1500 in the pool. My fist 200-500m is always my worst. I used free, side, and back to try and get my breathing and heart rate under control. Sighting wasn't to great the first 200-500. I got better as I went and was able to stay with freestyle stroke. My last 200m was strong as I turned for shore. I passed some people from my wave and some other waves so I thought that was a good sign.
What would you do differently?:

Just need to swim more and work on my anxiety or whatever gets my breathing and heart rate up during first part of swims.
Transition 1
  • 01m 26s
Comments:

This was pretty smooth and I am still working on best place for my helmet and sunglasses. I had some grass on my feet which I thought might bother me so once I got going I brushed off the best I could and slipped in and went.

Not much. I am sure I will drop seconds eventually.
Bike
  • 1h 35m 58s
  • 24 miles
  • 15.01 mile/hr
Comments:

So you start at the top of a hill on the mount but straight into a two pretty big hills. I get into my shoes on the first downhill but didn't build in momentum into the next. I was getting into a good rhythm and was changing gears for an uphill and clank! off comes the chain! No worries I hop off real quick and get moving again. So I get to some good downhill sections and get into the best aero position I can and was amazed the momentum and speed it gave me especially into the uphill (note to self, get a tri bike and get comfortable on it for next season) I was able to pass a couple of folks by doing this and then I get to a one lane bridge where they have you slow down. Lost some momentum and then my chain fell off again. Ugh! I am a little frustrated at this point and lose almost all momentum as it was at the bottom of a set of hills coming up. I pedaled through them and just tried to bring my heart rate down before the transition to running.

Just need more time in the saddle and learning to shift better. It will come with more time.
Transition 2
  • 01m 26s
Comments:

Pretty consistent times on my transitions! Went well and getting out of my shoes was much better than the last two tri's.

Not much this went pretty well.
Run
  • 1h 11m 31s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 11m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

First time I have ever walked in a race...the heat started to get to me early and my legs were more shot than I thought after the bike. The volunteers were awesome especially one of them which really helped me get through it. Being near the BOP was fun and talked to some folks and lots of encouragement from everyone in the race. It was a brutal one out there. Everytime I tried to run up a hill my heart rate would sky rocket and would just wear me out. So just did the best I could and finally was able to finish the last mile without stopping.

Train, train, and train more. I just need more experience with saving my energy and having some left for the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Went up and got some food, water, and gatorade. I got a little light headed and sat down to get things under control. I watched the award ceremonies and got to see someone I knew get second in there division.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just need to stick to my training better and control my energy expenditure to last the whole race. It will come with time and experience.

Event comments:

Setup did a great job as far as I am concerned and the volunteers were awesome! I will be back next year for sure! I loved the challenge and it was awesome to finish my first Olympic distance.

Last updated: 2012-05-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:42:22 | 1500 meters | 02m 49s / 100meters
Age Group: 14/16
Overall: 166/179
Performance: Average
Suit: Tri-top and bottom
Course: Was an odd shape course. It was an out then left down the length of the lake, then a left down the lake with another left back towards the middle of the lake then a right to the shore.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 86F / 30C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:26
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:35:58 | 24 miles | 15.01 mile/hr
Age Group: 13/16
Overall: 164/179
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: One big hilly loop.
Road: Smooth  Cadence: 85
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:26
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:11:31 | 06.21 miles | 11m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/16
Overall: 150/179
Performance: Below average
Course: It was a double loop course with two streets you go down and turn around on and hilly.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-08-05 11:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow
Subject: Culpeper International Triathlon

2012-08-06 8:19 AM
in reply to: #4348331

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Culpeper International Triathlon
Great job! With all that race morning commotion it would be hard to keep the head in place but it sounds like you did a good job there.
2012-08-06 10:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow
Thanks! Yea it may have been a blessing in disquise so that I didn't get in my head to much about how long that swim looked haha.
2012-08-06 10:19 AM

User image

Expert
Great job. I've had to walk before from the heat. It's hard when you're used to being a certain pace and can maintain it for your fitness level and then realize you can't too late because of the extreme heat.
2012-08-06 1:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow
Mentally it was tough, especially when one of my side goals was to try and keep my normal Z1 pace at least. However, I had a great time and I am looking forward to doing it again next year. What is great is that everyone was supportive and knowing I am not the first one helps a  lot. I know I have room for improvement and look forward to the challenge and gains to be had going forward.
2012-08-06 4:47 PM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Congrats!  That's a really challenging OLY course and those hills on the run get me every time.  Those volunteers were great, weren't they?  There was that one girl at the intersection of the first road right after the hill that had an amazing amount of energy.  She cheered every direction for every person it seemed.

2012-08-07 9:57 AM

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
Great report!  Hard to race well in the heat ... you do what you can!  Congrats!
2012-08-07 10:14 AM
in reply to: #4349932

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow
@juneapple That girl was awesome! I saw here after the race and made sure to thank her.
2012-08-07 10:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow
Thanks everyone! This community has been awesome with their support and encouragement! This has been a blessing in my life to make sure I stay healthy for my family for the long run!
2012-10-02 3:34 PM

User image

New user

NOVA
Great race report and I agree with your assessment of the course and the day. I finished just in front of you in Novice, so I can only think we ran alot of the run course together.  See you next year.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Culpeper International Triathlon Rss Feed