General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running race day with ipod Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2012-08-06 12:03 PM
in reply to: #4348862

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Running race day with ipod

I am not trying to break rules and do anything crazy it was simply a question for my first tri. Thats why I am asking here cause I am a newbie. I just enjoy running with music. I have ran in marathons where the were not allowed.... but everyone still did it. I was just simply curious if people did that in a tri.

I guess not from all of the post I guess no bad rap or britney spears music to listen to while bringing up the rear at the tri. Just trying to bring some fun to the race.... not be a rebel and not do something unsafe like not wear a bike helmet. 

2012-08-06 12:30 PM
in reply to: #4349137

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
rungirl222 - 2012-08-06 1:03 PM

I am not trying to break rules and do anything crazy it was simply a question for my first tri. Thats why I am asking here cause I am a newbie. I just enjoy running with music. I have ran in marathons where the were not allowed.... but everyone still did it. I was just simply curious if people did that in a tri.

I guess not from all of the post I guess no bad rap or britney spears music to listen to while bringing up the rear at the tri. Just trying to bring some fun to the race.... not be a rebel and not do something unsafe like not wear a bike helmet. 

Don't take any of the comments personally.  You just happened to bring up a topic that traditionally evokes some very strong opinions around here.  If you want to have some more fun start a thread about flip turns...Wink

Mark

2012-08-06 12:35 PM
in reply to: #4349137

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
rungirl222 - 2012-08-06 12:03 PM

I guess not from all of the post I guess no bad rap or britney spears music to listen to while bringing up the rear at the tri. Just trying to bring some fun to the race.... not be a rebel and not do something unsafe like not wear a bike helmet

Well the rule exists for safety reasons. If you are jamming to your tunes, the likelihood of hearing other athletes, emergency vehicles, volunteer directions, etc. is reduced. Probably why there was such a strong response. Just FYI.

2012-08-06 12:38 PM
in reply to: #4348943

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
noelle1230 - 2012-08-06 10:48 AM
brigby1 - 2012-08-06 11:37 AM
noelle1230 - 2012-08-06 9:53 AM
brigby1 - 2012-08-06 10:40 AM
abqtj - 2012-08-06 9:14 AM

I'm a habitual iPod user when I run and bike and I NEVER miss it when racing. Never. 

You'll be fine without it. 

Run only for me, but every time I go. Haven't once missed it in a race of any type.

Same here.  I've raced about 30 races both tri and road running.  Only once has the RD threatened to DQ for headphone use on the run.

I've never had an athlete question me or seem miffed EVER in my life during a race or a training session for running with headphones.  Unless you're darting through traffic in NYC or something like that I see no reason why it's a big deal if you have the volume at a moderate level so you can hear potential alterting noises and you pay attention to your surroundings visuallly.

Are you saying you race with it? abqtj and I do not. Only for training.

Oh sorry, I misunderstood and thought you meant you never miss it as in, you never miss the chance to wear it.  Yes, I always race just the run portion with it.  All USAT races and RD's say no problem (for the RUN only).  They're not big championship races or anything but nobody's ever made a big deal about in any of the races I've done.

As for runs, I've done many Boston qualifying half and full mary's.  I see ipods everywhere, never heard of a DQ for them.

That's interesting since it's a clear USAT rule violation.

Run-only races are different.

2012-08-06 12:38 PM
in reply to: #4348802

User image

Sensei
Sin City
rungirl222 - 2012-08-06 7:59 AM

Thanks ! I hope thats the case. I am sure race day I will be fine! Do you do it cold turkey the day of the race or do some runs without it?

Doesn't hurt to practice if it makes you feel more comfortable.

But I think you would be surprised.  I use my Ipod all the time for training and then nothing for races, even 12-15 hours of an Ironman and never miss it.  I think it's because training is solo, while there is a LOT going on in a race to keep it fun.

2012-08-06 12:50 PM
in reply to: #4348500

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta

I'd just like to add in here that in addition to running/cycling with headphones, running/cycling with an iphone (smartphone)/ipod mounted to your bike, or yourself is also not allowed.  An update to the USAT rules went out earlier this year, and I just gave a penalty for it this past weekend.  The "opportunity" to play music, use the phone/text feature for outside assistance, etc. is just too great. 

I know a lot of people that use their phones for the gps feature, and that these mounting cases are even advertised in Triathlete magazine, but regardless, they are still considered illegal, and you will get a time penalty.

2012-08-06 1:01 PM
in reply to: #4349222

User image

Extreme Veteran
Urbana, MD
lisac957 - 2012-08-06 1:38 PM
noelle1230 - 2012-08-06 10:48 AM
brigby1 - 2012-08-06 11:37 AM
noelle1230 - 2012-08-06 9:53 AM
brigby1 - 2012-08-06 10:40 AM
abqtj - 2012-08-06 9:14 AM

I'm a habitual iPod user when I run and bike and I NEVER miss it when racing. Never. 

You'll be fine without it. 

Run only for me, but every time I go. Haven't once missed it in a race of any type.

Same here.  I've raced about 30 races both tri and road running.  Only once has the RD threatened to DQ for headphone use on the run.

I've never had an athlete question me or seem miffed EVER in my life during a race or a training session for running with headphones.  Unless you're darting through traffic in NYC or something like that I see no reason why it's a big deal if you have the volume at a moderate level so you can hear potential alterting noises and you pay attention to your surroundings visuallly.

Are you saying you race with it? abqtj and I do not. Only for training.

Oh sorry, I misunderstood and thought you meant you never miss it as in, you never miss the chance to wear it.  Yes, I always race just the run portion with it.  All USAT races and RD's say no problem (for the RUN only).  They're not big championship races or anything but nobody's ever made a big deal about in any of the races I've done.

As for runs, I've done many Boston qualifying half and full mary's.  I see ipods everywhere, never heard of a DQ for them.

That's interesting since it's a clear USAT rule violation.

Run-only races are different.

Exactly - Directly violating the rules that someone was nice enough to post in the thread...

It has been mentioned in the participant guide or at the briefing for every tri I've done that they're illegal on the bike and the run. I've also done several running only races where we were told they were illegal as well and I've seen people DQ'd or told to take them off. 

I want to make two other points too, because this topic gets on my nerves slightly (to the OP - I don't mean to pick on you, you're not the first to bring this up and you won't be the last)

1) You CAN run without headphones. They're not what's making your legs move. Maybe it's boring or more difficult without music, but you CAN run.

2) You cannot be as aware of your surroundings with headphones as without. I can hear footfalls and bikes coming up behind me without headphones and I know to keep right. You cannot hear that with headphones and you DO end up blocking people, you just don't know they're there.How many of you have been cut off while running or biking by a driver on their cell phone? I bet they think they're aware of their surroundings too.

Again - OP - I don't mean to call you out specifically, I believe yours was a genuine inquiry. This is more aimed at those who think it's okay for them to break the rules the rest of us have to follow.

John

2012-08-06 1:02 PM
in reply to: #4349212

User image

Master
Livonia, MI
lisac957 - 2012-08-06 1:35 PM

I guess not from all of the post I guess no bad rap or britney spears music to listen to while bringing up the rear at the tri. Just trying to bring some fun to the race.... not be a rebel and not do something unsafe like not wear a bike helmet

Well the rule exists for safety reasons. If you are jamming to your tunes, the likelihood of hearing other athletes, emergency vehicles, volunteer directions, etc. is reduced. Probably why there was such a strong response. Just FYI.

Yes, I get that it's a violation of the rules, but like said yourself in your very next post, these rules don't exist in many running only races.  Why would it be a safety issue in one circumstance and not the other?

That's like saying people who have hearing issues or loss should not run outside.  I get what the USAT rules are, I'm just not totally in agreement that it will be a safety issue and will continue to use them if the RD doesn't seem to take issue with it.

2012-08-06 1:06 PM
in reply to: #4349283

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
noelle1230 - 2012-08-06 1:02 PM

Yes, I get that it's a violation of the rules, but like said yourself in your very next post, these rules don't exist in many running only races.  Why would it be a safety issue in one circumstance and not the other?

That's like saying people who have hearing issues or loss should not run outside.  I get what the USAT rules are, I'm just not totally in agreement that it will be a safety issue and will continue to use them if the RD doesn't seem to take issue with it.

Dunno, I don't make the rules but I do get irritated when others blatantly ignore them.

2012-08-06 1:11 PM
in reply to: #4349295

User image

Extreme Veteran
Urbana, MD
lisac957 - 2012-08-06 2:06 PM

Dunno, I don't make the rules but I do get irritated when others blatantly ignore them.

+1

If you don't like the rules, try and get them changed. Don't just ignore them.

2012-08-06 1:20 PM
in reply to: #4349295

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

If the RD says no, I will follow his/her ruling and not use an ipod on the run.  If he/she rules that I can use them, I will accept this and use them.  He/she is present and running the show as well as it's safety componants, USAT isn't. 

If it were logical to me why listening to music on a low volume while running is any more harmful than let's say, a band playing for the race as I run by or a friend racing next to me having a conversation, I would not do it for safety reasons even if the RD gave it the thumbs up.  But it isn't logical to me.  So if the RD gives something the thumbs up and that something is logically not unsafe to me, I'm good with it. 

It's certainly not done to intentionally irritate you or anyone else, but I'm just not a blinding following every single rule in life even if it makes zero sense to me kinda girl, sorry.

2012-08-06 1:24 PM
in reply to: #4349332

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta
noelle1230 - 2012-08-06 2:20 PM

If the RD says no, I will follow his/her ruling and not use an ipod on the run.  If he/she rules that I can use them, I will accept this and use them.  He/she is present and running the show as well as it's safety componants, USAT isn't. 

If it were logical to me why listening to music on a low volume while running is any more harmful than let's say, a band playing for the race as I run by or a friend racing next to me having a conversation, I would not do it for safety reasons even if the RD gave it the thumbs up.  But it isn't logical to me.  So if the RD gives something the thumbs up and that something is logically not unsafe to me, I'm good with it. 

It's certainly not done to intentionally irritate you or anyone else, but I'm just not a blinding following every single rule in life even if it makes zero sense to me kinda girl, sorry.

FYI, In any USAT sanctioned event, there's typically a USAT official present.  And no RD that went through the hassle of getting his race sanctioned is going to give you the thumb's up to against the rules.  Nor does he probably want to be bothered race morning for you to stop and ask while he has about a million more important things to worry about.  With all due respect...

2012-08-06 1:30 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
noelle1230 - 2012-08-06 1:20 PM 

This kind of attitude saddens, and yes, irritates me. What if everyone ignored every rule that didn't make sense to them?

2012-08-06 1:32 PM
in reply to: #4349341

User image

Master
Livonia, MI
jessica71980 - 2012-08-06 2:24 PM
noelle1230 - 2012-08-06 2:20 PM

FYI, In any USAT sanctioned event, there's typically a USAT official present.  And no RD that went through the hassle of getting his race sanctioned is going to give you the thumb's up to against the rules.  Nor does he probably want to be bothered race morning for you to stop and ask while he has about a million more important things to worry about.  With all due respect...

Just an FYI, I don't just assume it's okay just because I don't get a DQ for doing it, I always ask the RD's if it's okay BEFORE I use them.  They verbally tell me yes and a few times I've gotten in writing via email.  I really couldn't tell you if a USAT official is there to supervise or not.

Edited by noelle1230 2012-08-06 1:33 PM
2012-08-06 1:34 PM
in reply to: #4349358

User image

Master
Livonia, MI
lisac957 - 2012-08-06 2:30 PM

This kind of attitude saddens, and yes, irritates me. What if everyone ignored every rule that didn't make sense to them?

Um....well, just off the top of my head?  You wouldn't be allowed to vote....

2012-08-06 1:37 PM
in reply to: #4349368

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
noelle1230 - 2012-08-06 1:34 PM

Really? No need for that.
All I'm saying is that people should follow the rules, and you're blasting me. Makes a whole lot of sense.

2012-08-06 1:42 PM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
noelle1230 - 2012-08-06 2:34 PM

So you're equating iPods in races with women's suffrage? Nice.

2012-08-06 1:44 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City
noelle1230 - 2012-08-06 11:20 AM

Ever think there could be rules in place that have VERY good reasons that you may not be aware of?  Maybe rules that people with TONS of race experience have figured out to be helpful that a person with limited experience may not know yet?

If I say I don't understand why I can't beat up women?  Cool then?

2012-08-06 1:46 PM
in reply to: #4348500

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
wonder if the USAT insurance would cover a racer who was using an iPod during a race, regardless of what the RD may have said?
2012-08-06 1:46 PM
in reply to: #4349380

User image

Master
Livonia, MI
lisac957 - 2012-08-06 2:37 PM

All I'm saying is that people should follow the rules, and you're blasting me. Makes a whole lot of sense.

I'm really not trying to blast you.  I felt a little blasted because I'm questioning a rule that does not make sense to me and just trying to defend myself.  I honestly mean no disrespect to you Lisa.  I respect how you choose to race and if you disagree with me.  We certainly aren't all going to agree.  No harm intended Frown

And no Brad, I wasn't equating one thing to another.  Just making a point that questioning the rules is not always a bad thing.

2012-08-06 1:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Urbana, MD

In defense of Lisa, I don't understand how the conversation we're having has anything to do with voting...

No-one is asking you to LIKE the rules, we're just asking you to follow the rules the rest of us have to follow. If you don't like the rules, contact USAT and ask them to change it. USAT Sanctioning requires RDs to enforce the USAT competitive rules, so "Participants are ensured a safe, fair, and creditable competition environment." Whether or not what you're doing is safe is debatable, but exempting yourself from the rules is certainly not fair for the other participants.

That's why people are saddened by your attitude.

ETA: USAT also reviews their rules yearly at the very least, so change is not unheard of.

Edited by guitarfrk75 2012-08-06 1:50 PM

2012-08-06 1:54 PM
in reply to: #4349416

User image

Sensei
Sin City
noelle1230 - 2012-08-06 11:46 AM
lisac957 - 2012-08-06 2:37 PM

I'm really not trying to blast you.  I felt a little blasted because I'm questioning a rule that does not make sense to me and just trying to defend myself.  I honestly mean no disrespect to you Lisa.  I respect how you choose to race and if you disagree with me.  We certainly aren't all going to agree.  No harm intended Frown

And no Brad, I wasn't equating one thing to another.  Just making a point that questioning the rules is not always a bad thing.

There is no problem in questioning the rule.  It get's asked all the time (hence this thread).  At least 20 times a year.

The problem is (and maybe a misunderstaning), that after the rule was questioned, and dozens of responses were giving not to use Ipod, AND WHY, you still the attitude that if it didn't make sense TO YOU, why follow it?

2012-08-06 1:54 PM
in reply to: #4349423

User image

Master
Livonia, MI
guitarfrk75 - 2012-08-06 2:48 PM

In defense of Lisa, I don't understand how the conversation we're having has anything to do with voting...

No-one is asking you to LIKE the rules, we're just asking you to follow the rules the rest of us have to follow. If you don't like the rules, contact USAT and ask them to change it. USAT Sanctioning requires RDs to enforce the USAT competitive rules, so "Participants are ensured a safe, fair, and creditable competition environment." Whether or not what you're doing is safe is debatable, but exempting yourself from the rules is certainly not fair for the other participants.

I actually have.  And I've been told they do routinely reconsider it.  If it's okay to run a race with headphones, like for example a marathon which many of us have run with headphones legally, I don't understand why it would be any less safe just because I biked and swam first.

Just making the point that in life sometimes questioning the rules is not a bad or a dangerous thing.  Honestly, I would never do something that I thought would cause a blatent danger to myself or others.  I just don't think this is.  Many running race organizers agree with me, even Boston qualifieers and some tri RD's.  So I'll continue to hold my opinion at this point.

2012-08-06 1:58 PM
in reply to: #4349423

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta
guitarfrk75 - 2012-08-06 2:48 PM

ETA: USAT also reviews their rules yearly at the very least, so change is not unheard of.

Exactly.  And regardless of what the RD may tell you, at any USAT sanctioned race, an official will still give you a penalty/DQ you.  I get that you might not understand their safety concerns about headphones, or some other rule that might not seem to make sense, but it's each person's responsibility to know the rules before racing, and when you sign up, you are agreeing to abide by them.

And just in case you're not sure, you can find them here: http://www.usatriathlon.org/about-multisport/rulebook.aspx#Article 4

2012-08-06 1:58 PM
in reply to: #4349406

User image

Veteran
Louisville
Kido - 2012-08-06 2:44 PM
noelle1230 - 2012-08-06 11:20 AM

Ever think there could be rules in place that have VERY good reasons that you may not be aware of?  Maybe rules that people with TONS of race experience have figured out to be helpful that a person with limited experience may not know yet?

If I say I don't understand why I can't beat up women?  Cool then?

A few years ago I ran a HM and the temperature was over 80 degrees by 7am. By the time we got to mile 9 it was well into the 90s and people were dropping like flies. We were running through a particularly curvy part of the course so it was hard to see in front of you. Apparently some people had fallen because some bicycle medics came up behind us yelling to us to move to the right so they could get by to help people up ahead. A lot of people with headphones blaring didn't hear and it slowed down the response time of the medics. Nobody died and nothing terrible happened as a result of people wearing headphones but I think situations like that are where these rules come from. The OP was smart enough to ask instead of just doing which is good. But a lot of rules are made for a reason we may not know off hand. Like someone else said, it's ok to questions rules but don't blatantly ignore them.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running race day with ipod Rss Feed  

of 3