Onurleft Event Management, LLC
94F / 34C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 12m 8s
Overall Rank = 113/
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 25/152
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4 AM. Quickly brewed a cup of coffee and threw down some breakfast. Got dressed and got myself to the curb. My buddy Jason was picking me up at 4:45. I normally get out the door quickly, but I was dragging arse. Into the Tahoe and we made the 5 minute drive to the race site. Quickly got marked and got my transition area set up. There really isn't much to a sprint, non-wetsuit legal race really. Hit up some friends to chit chat and then I was off to warm up.
Event warmup:

Ran maybe half a mile and then took my shoes back to the rack and switched them out for my flippy floppies. When I got over towards the swim start to get a couple hundred meters in the lifeguard said no go on getting in the water pre race. Bummer. I of all people need that time to find my stroke.
Swim
  • 12m 8s
  • 550 meters
  • 02m 11s / 100 meters
Comments:

Another crap swim. Maybe I should expect this, but my pool times and race times just don't match. Maybe it's mental, maybe I don't get enough OWS time. IDK at this point, but GRRRRRRR. Anyway the start was rough. It was the most contact I've had in a LONG time at a swim start. I was punched in the back of the head twice and I didn't even count the rib or shoulder shots I took. I dang near pulled someone's chip off their leg. About 200 in it kinda spread out and I thought I swam really well. Not so much apparently. Silver lining is I finally remembered to pick an object on the shore to sight off of and it worked like a char.
What would you do differently?:

More OWS time? Just more swim time overall. IDK.
Transition 1
  • 02m 5s
Comments:

I was stuck all the way in the far corner again. This race has a huge transition area and my AG apparently pulled the short straw again this year. Oh well. Good news it that the carpet led straight to my bike so I didn't even have to think about finding my rack.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 33m 18s
  • 14 miles
  • 25.23 mile/hr
Comments:

Good ride. Nice, calm, smooth. This is what I would consider a race marketed towards beginners. Aaron (the RD) may beg to differ but each year I see more mountain bikes, cruisers, and racers out there just ignorant of the rules/etiquette or blatantly ignoring them as any in the city. This IS NOT a bad thing. Everyone starts somewhere, but I'm surprised I had a voice left at the beginning of the run. Lots of people just hanging out on the left side of the course. Even when one would say on your left they just wouldn't move over. Of course if I was a FOP swimmer maybe I wouldn't have to deal with as much of it. LOL.

Nothing
Transition 2
  • 02m 5s
Comments:

Good transition. Odd that I had the same transition times for both.

Nothing
Run
  • 22m 37s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

Here is where the heat and humidity caught up with me. I got out of transition running 7:09 min miles and thought I was maintaining that pace. As I got to the area of the run course that was on the sidewalk next to the bike course a person, I think my friend Ken, yelled encouragement at me off his bike and I looked down again, 8:30/mile. Oh S&%T! Slowly I started to crank it back down. Passed a bunch of friends on the run, which is always a nice feeling and then was only passed by a pack of 3 guys at about the 2 mile mark. Sucks they all happened to be in my AG. LOL. Overall an ok run.

HTFU and crank the pace no matter the conditions outside.
Post race
Warm down:

Ran into some friends and joked for about 5 minutes and then right into the ice bath. Ahhhhhhhhhh.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swim prowess.

Event comments:

As always OUL races are awesome. Sometimes you take it for granted and then you have a friend do their races for a first time and they rave about the organization, etc. and it reminds you why you pay that little bit extra for these races.

Last updated: 2012-01-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:08 | 550 meters | 02m 11s / 100meters
Age Group: 55/152
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit: CyTri tri suit
Course: L shaped, point to point course
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:05
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:33:18 | 14 miles | 25.23 mile/hr
Age Group: 16/152
Performance: Good
Min HR: 160 Max HR: 182 Avg HR: 168
Wind: Little
Course: L shaped course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:05
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:22:37 | 03.1 miles | 07m 18s  min/mile
Age Group: 28/152
Performance: Average
Min HR: 155 Max HR: 183 Avg HR: 179
Course: Winding course through the neighborhood.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-08-06 8:39 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair
Subject: Bridgeland Triathlon

2012-08-06 9:15 AM
in reply to: #4348604

User image

Master
San Antone, Texas
Subject: RE: Bridgeland Triathlon

hey dood great race!  I have the same issues with the swim -- you're not alone!  One of these days we'll figure it out

2012-08-06 10:14 AM

User image

Expert
Great job. I feel your pain on getting hit on the swim. My last race was the same deal.
2012-08-06 10:46 AM
in reply to: #4348836

User image

Veteran

Good job - it was HOT out there and I thought I was going to lose my cookies more than once.

2012-08-06 2:41 PM

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
Good report ... just get some OWS time and I think you will see a difference.  Check around to see if there are OW races. There usually are if you have any HIM or IM's coming up in the area. Keep you head up, you have an awesome bike and run!
2012-08-06 10:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston
Way to go Scott!  Glad I spotted you on the way in.  When you figure out how to make your pool splits the same as race splits let me know.  I still can't friggin' swim.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bridgeland Triathlon Rss Feed