General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-08-06 8:49 AM

New user
Lapeer
Subject: Why?
I have just completed my first two triathlons; both super sprints but completed them and saw improvement with the second tri. My problem is I do so great when I swim in the pool for training and can swim 1/2 mile to a mile with no problems whatsoever. At both of my tri's I failed miserably in the swim. I don't seem to have any ability to swim more than 50 yards without a problem, almost like I panic. At least on Saturdays when I rounded the bouy I was able to suck it up and concentrate and get the last 100 yards with no problem. Any suggestions? I love doing these but I want to improve.

2012-08-06 9:09 AM
in reply to: #4348625

User image

Veteran
Grand Rapids, MI
Subject: RE: Why?
First - congrats on finishing your first 2 races!!! A couple of thoughts... and by no means, I am not an expert so take them with a grain of salt!

1. Open Water racing is definetly different than pool swimming. Try and get some training swims in open water. It will help you practice sighting and just the feel.

2. I have gone out WAYYYYY too fast in a bunch of races I have done. My strategy for the last couple years is now to start at the back and go very easy and relaxed until the turn around or halfway point. If I'm feeling good, I pick up the pace. I figure I have a whole race to make up if I'm too easy on the first half of a swim! I'm ended up doing back and breast stroke by going out to hard, so I like the alternative (even if I have to swim around folks on the back half).

3. Not sure what pool training you are doing, but try a Masters or similar program. I don't feel I'm good enough to hang with the Master class but there is a program called Swim Fit at MVP in GR. It's like a Masters light. I can easily swim slow and steady for 90 minutes, but 45 minutes of sprints and drills has me tired! It has helped improve my long swims pretty steadily as well.

Just to make you feel better, my first race, I went out and within 200 meters was so out of breath that I couldn't put my face under water without feeling like I was going to die. I ended up doing backstroke the entire rest of the race.

Good luck and stick with it!!!
2012-08-06 9:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Milford, MI

Congrats on completing your first set of tris!

X2 to BCYoder - open water swimming doesn't even compare to doing laps in a pool.  And open water swimming during a tri when you're likely fighting for a piece of open water for the first 100-200 yards is different than going out to the lake with a few friends.

Waves, sun in your face, trying to sight on the buoys, all of that takes a lot of energy (both physical and mental) that you don't have to expend when you're doing pool laps.  Plus, when you get out to the lake and see just how far those buoys are from shore you start thinking that there's no way that's only 800-1000yds - its got to be more like a mile!  It can be a little unnerving when you're doing your first OWS swims during a tri.

The best advice I can give is to just get out there in the open water and get as much practice as you can.  Several Masters programs Milford Athletic Club (that's who I swim with) and FAST, both go out to Island Lake Rec regularly to swim.  The first benefit of doing that is that you're not swimming alone - doing an OWS by yourself is a big no-no - the other benefit is that you can kind of emulate the conditions of a tri by bunching up in a group and fighting for your little piece of the lake and you'll get some practice on trying to draft.

Don't be afraid to go into a different stroke for a little bit too - a lot of people (myself included) go into breast stroke for a bit to catch our breath or just to orient ourselves.  You're still moving forward and you can take a second to get the nerves back under control before you start off again.

If you're doing most of your training in the pool, then one thing you can do is to do an actual open water sighting at least 2 times for each length.  This will give you practice on sighting and you'll get used to just how much it takes to do that move constantly.  If you've got someone to swim with in the pool, then try practicing drafting off of each other.  You'd be amazed by how much energy you'll conserve by drafting...but don't use that as a replacement for sighting.  Don't assume the person in front of you is going straight.  I've had plenty of times where I've been drafting someone and find that they're going off course....and I'm notorious for not being able swim a straight line, so heaven help the person that tries to draft off of me

2012-08-06 11:25 AM
in reply to: #4348736

User image

Master
Livonia, MI
ericcooper - 2012-08-06 10:30 AM

Congrats on completing your first set of tris!

X2 to BCYoder - open water swimming doesn't even compare to doing laps in a pool.  And open water swimming during a tri when you're likely fighting for a piece of open water for the first 100-200 yards is different than going out to the lake with a few friends.

Waves, sun in your face, trying to sight on the buoys, all of that takes a lot of energy (both physical and mental) that you don't have to expend when you're doing pool laps.  Plus, when you get out to the lake and see just how far those buoys are from shore you start thinking that there's no way that's only 800-1000yds - its got to be more like a mile!  It can be a little unnerving when you're doing your first OWS swims during a tri.

The best advice I can give is to just get out there in the open water and get as much practice as you can.  Several Masters programs Milford Athletic Club (that's who I swim with) and FAST, both go out to Island Lake Rec regularly to swim.  The first benefit of doing that is that you're not swimming alone - doing an OWS by yourself is a big no-no - the other benefit is that you can kind of emulate the conditions of a tri by bunching up in a group and fighting for your little piece of the lake and you'll get some practice on trying to draft.

Don't be afraid to go into a different stroke for a little bit too - a lot of people (myself included) go into breast stroke for a bit to catch our breath or just to orient ourselves.  You're still moving forward and you can take a second to get the nerves back under control before you start off again.

If you're doing most of your training in the pool, then one thing you can do is to do an actual open water sighting at least 2 times for each length.  This will give you practice on sighting and you'll get used to just how much it takes to do that move constantly.  If you've got someone to swim with in the pool, then try practicing drafting off of each other.  You'd be amazed by how much energy you'll conserve by drafting...but don't use that as a replacement for sighting.  Don't assume the person in front of you is going straight.  I've had plenty of times where I've been drafting someone and find that they're going off course....and I'm notorious for not being able swim a straight line, so heaven help the person that tries to draft off of me

I agree with everything here, especially what's bolded.  Majority of people don't swim straight.  We're just not that balanced from right to left, especially taking the breathing into consideration.  Practice the sighting as much as possible.  I like to go five strokes, then look up.  I count it out and find a rhythm.  You'll get better at being able to sight with minimal head lift so that your eyes come up to the water line.

Getting freaked in open water is a normal reaction, you'll hear it discussed constantly in the tri talk forum.  Practice out there and get those sea legs.  You'll notice a huge difference!

2012-08-06 1:05 PM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

I'll echo what the others have said: know the course, have a plan, be prepared, and practice, practice, practice in the open water.  

I'll throw one more idea out there that seems to work for a lot of folks: Warm Up in the open water before the race. And the warmup should be substantial, not 10 strokes then back to shore. A good warmup should 1) get water in your wetsuit / get you acclimated to the water, 2) get you aerobic / not gasping, 3) allow you to know what the run in/run out / weed /sighting /water clarity / goggles leaking situation is like. This makes some unknowns --> knowns, and works to lessen your normal physical reaction to open water. 

I'll know I'm warmed up when I'm not shivering, can exhale underwater (one of the signs that you're panic-ing is that most folks forget to breathe out underwater and instead hold their breath, and blowing out / inhaling at the surface, which doesn't work), and feel relaxed. For me, it's 3-400m. 

2012-08-08 7:30 AM

New user
Lapeer
Thanks all for you input. I have tried some OWS but the lake I have gone to is really not conducive to good training. I do train with my wife which helps too. It does seem that once I am in the water for a while I do better so it is likely that getting into the water and "warming up" is what I need to try first. Thanks again!

2012-08-08 8:03 AM
in reply to: #4352534

User image

New user

I have the same problem in the water and I have completed 6 Tri's now. The only thing that helps me is warming up by swimming 100 - 200 Meters before the race. I also have to keep playing the mind game so if I feel that I am starting to panic I tell myself to calm down and focus on my stroke.

This is all very normal.

2012-08-13 7:27 AM

User image

Ann Arbor
Also: when training do Intervals. Doing long swims will not help you in ows.
2012-08-13 12:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Hudsonville, MI

I had the very same problem with my first 2 Tris that I raced.  A swim coach asked me if when I was swimming during a race did my neck, shoulders, arms, etc. feel tense.....and I for sure felt tense.  I was told to relax and concentrate on trying to have my head feel weightless and almost have like a 'limp' wrist as you extend and pull through the stroke.  After trying that a few times in open water training I never had the problem again.  Even to this day when I am swimming in open water I constantly repeat in my head 'relax' as I am swimming.  I am by no means a fast swimmer but I can get through the swim leg feeling good coming out of the water.

Hopefully this helps with all the above mentioned advice......good luck!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why? Rss Feed