Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Am I taking the wrong view? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2006-06-13 5:37 PM
in reply to: #450459

User image

Montana
Subject: RE: Am I taking the wrong view?
I don't know about the obligated sister-bridesmaid thing. At the time (5 years ago) I was not all that close to either of my sisters...it was just that point in our lives and all. We're close now, but I remember all kinds of anxiety over hurt feelings if they were not "up in front" with the wedding party. I was actually planning on asking them to assist some other way, but the first words out of my mom' mouth were, "well your sisters will be bridesmaids, right?" o.....k....mom.

Everone needs to back off engaged couples with their ideas about what is appropriate! In the end, one of my sisters sang (beautifully) and the other gave such a great speech at the end, I could tell it meant a lot to be part of the wedding party. I guess my wish is that my sisters didn't need a dress and an up-do and a spot up front to know that they are special to me.

oh and the drinking thing....diff'nt strokes for diff'nt folks...not all drinkers are drunks and not all non-drinkers are squares, so let's lay off the judgement in general.

2006-06-14 2:46 PM
in reply to: #453224

Elite Veteran
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Subject: RE: Am I taking the wrong view?
kimj81 - 2006-06-13 4:40 PM
Tania - 2006-06-13 2:37 PM

When I got married, it never even occurred to me to ask one of my sisters to be my maid of honor.  I asked my best friend. 

I guess I'm lucky that my sister and my best girl friend are one and the same person. No stickiness to negotiate.

Yeah, I've heard of that happening in some families.....sounds nice, but not on the island of misfit toys where I come from.  And there was no stickiness....my sisters could care less...one of them didn't even come to my wedding, but that's OK, I only went to one of her four.

Edited by Tania 2006-06-14 2:48 PM
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Am I taking the wrong view? Rss Feed  

of 3