Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Poor Sportsmanship by US Vaulter (Mckayla Maroney) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2012-08-06 11:09 AM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Subject: Poor Sportsmanship by US Vaulter (Mckayla Maroney)

Don't judge me, but I was watching the vault finals last night (waiting for the 100m final).

What struck me immediately is that after McKayla Maroney found out that she did not get the gold medal (due to falling on her 2nd vault) she just glared at the Romanian girl that won.  I don't care if you're the huge favorite or not.  When you are beaten, you congratulate the person who won.

Instead, she just glared at her and gave a fake hug, which was initiated by the other girl.  Some people may say, "She was in shock, blah blah blah".  No, you have a brief moment to show your real character.  And she did!  Even on the medal stand she didn't have the respect to show the winner.

What's sad is that all these people, especially little girls, will be looking up to her and I hope that Moms and Dads everywhere say, "Don't be a poor sport like McKayla".

2012-08-06 11:14 AM
in reply to: #4348991

User image

Champion
Chicago
Subject: RE: Poor Sportsmanship by US Vaulter (Mckayla Maroney)

I saw this too, and was disappointed at her reaction. 

Like, you said you got beat fair and square.

2012-08-06 11:25 AM
in reply to: #4349009

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I noticed this too, but I don't think I was disturbed enough to start a thread about it.  Sort of 50/50 on it.  Yeah, she could have handeled it better, but there was a lot of pressure on her and I'm sure she was mad at herself, not the Romanian.  And she's young.  BTW, I think all those hugs by everyone are generaly fake.  I personally wouldn't do it EVER, unless I meant it.  So I won't call her out about giving a "fake" hug when they are almost always "fake".

I would tell her that if she wants to avoid that in the future, do you your job and don't land on your butt. 

2012-08-06 11:58 AM
in reply to: #4349032

Veteran
Ohio
Kido - 2012-08-06 12:25 PM

I noticed this too, but I don't think I was disturbed enough to start a thread about it.  Sort of 50/50 on it.  Yeah, she could have handeled it better, but there was a lot of pressure on her and I'm sure she was mad at herself, not the Romanian.  And she's young.  BTW, I think all those hugs by everyone are generaly fake.  I personally wouldn't do it EVER, unless I meant it.  So I won't call her out about giving a "fake" hug when they are almost always "fake".

I would tell her that if she wants to avoid that in the future, do you your job and don't land on your butt. 

^This and to say that I would judge her reactions as a 16 year old to be much better than the behavior of some of the supposedly more mature athletes.

2012-08-06 12:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Woodlands/Magnolia, TX.

apparently there's an interview with her that shows her apologizing that it came off that way and that her disappointment in herself is the reason for demeanor. 

personally, i'd probably be the same way to an extent.  i'd at least muster up a smile for the winner, but i'd be pretty mad at myself if i was in her shoes and blew it on the 2nd vault and my personality is the type that it shows on my face and my expressions.  i'd imagine she's the same way.  these kids are young and under a ton of pressure with cameras everywhere.  not everyone can be as stoic as they'd like and put on a good PR show (like phelps).   it's easy for us to judge them while watching it on TV. 

2012-08-06 12:06 PM
in reply to: #4349131

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I was more put off by Serena Williams victory than McKayla's defeat.  Too much yelling for a slaughter and the dance?  Cool at home, but on an international stage?  Show a bit more respect to your opponent and the event.

2012-08-06 12:10 PM

User image

Elite
Minnetonka
I chalked it up to her being disappointed in herself, and that she probably didn't speak the other girls language hence the fake hug..
2012-08-06 12:11 PM
in reply to: #4349131

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
antlimon166 - 2012-08-06 1:01 PM

apparently there's an interview with her that shows her apologizing that it came off that way and that her disappointment in herself is the reason for demeanor. 

personally, i'd probably be the same way to an extent.  i'd at least muster up a smile for the winner, but i'd be pretty mad at myself if i was in her shoes and blew it on the 2nd vault and my personality is the type that it shows on my face and my expressions.  i'd imagine she's the same way.  these kids are young and under a ton of pressure with cameras everywhere.  not everyone can be as stoic as they'd like and put on a good PR show (like phelps).   it's easy for us to judge them while watching it on TV. 

It doesn't matter the age of a person or the 'stage'.  I feel that whether it's at the all comers track meet or the Olympics, you show good sportsmanship.  Ones initial reaction to a perceived failure shows ones true core IMHO. 

Maybe I'm too naive to think that if someone beats me, I say great job! Whether I'm upset with my performance or not.  It's not about the medal, it's about the sport.  And unfortunately for her, it was about the medal.

2012-08-06 12:14 PM

User image

Elite
Minnetonka
I wanted to add that the announcers jinxed her.   They had given her the gold before the competition even started..
2012-08-06 1:17 PM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
The American gymnasts give each other fake hugs. I noticed that the very first time I saw them a week or so ago. Plus I think we are asking for a bit too much maturity from a 16 year old kid who's been immersed in this world of elite gymnastics. I doubt she's had much of a "normal" childhood.
2012-08-06 1:24 PM
in reply to: #4349160

User image

Elite
Marvarnett - 2012-08-06 1:11 PM

It doesn't matter the age of a person or the 'stage'.  I feel that whether it's at the all comers track meet or the Olympics, you show good sportsmanship.  Ones initial reaction to a perceived failure shows ones true core IMHO. 

Maybe I'm too naive to think that if someone beats me, I say great job! Whether I'm upset with my performance or not.  It's not about the medal, it's about the sport.  And unfortunately for her, it was about the medal.

Agreed!  Missy Franklin's not 18 yet either...you think we'd see that kind of attitude from Missy Franklin?  Me neither.  

Hopefully, what took place, and the reaction to it, will be a good learning experience for her. 

2012-08-06 1:47 PM

User image

Bronze member

This is interesting to me because my husband and I were watching the same thing last night and he also commented on her attitude but I was actually more turned off by Usain Bolt in the 100.

Is the issue sportsmanship?  I'm pretty sure I watched Usain Bolt strut around the track making lightening bolts with his arms after his win in the 100. He passed off some fake hugs himself. Is that being a good sport? Just my own observations.

I guess I'm not sure why one display is o.k. (not by anyone particular in this thread but media in general) but this little girl gets jumped all over. Because he won and she didn't?

2012-08-06 1:59 PM
in reply to: #4349422

User image

Sensei
Sin City
trigal38 - 2012-08-06 11:47 AM

This is interesting to me because my husband and I were watching the same thing last night and he also commented on her attitude but I was actually more turned off by Usain Bolt in the 100.

Is the issue sportsmanship?  I'm pretty sure I watched Usain Bolt strut around the track making lightening bolts with his arms after his win in the 100. He passed off some fake hugs himself. Is that being a good sport? Just my own observations.

I guess I'm not sure why one display is o.k. (not by anyone particular in this thread but media in general) but this little girl gets jumped all over. Because he won and she didn't?

There are poor losers, and poor winners.  The thread was discussing poor losers.

But refer to my post that references Serena Williams.  So your point is not being overlooked.

2012-08-06 1:59 PM
in reply to: #4349422

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
trigal38 - 2012-08-06 2:47 PM

Yes. We dislike sore losers more than we dislike sore winners.

2012-08-06 2:03 PM
in reply to: #4349343

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
ChineseDemocracy - 2012-08-06 2:24 PM

Agreed!  Missy Franklin's not 18 yet either...you think we'd see that kind of attitude from Missy Franklin?  Me neither.  

Hopefully, what took place, and the reaction to it, will be a good learning experience for her. 

Missy Franklin is staying amateur so she can swim for her High School swim team.

McKayla Maroney was homed schooled so she could focus on being an elite gymnast.

Two different mind sets which breed two different athletes. 

2012-08-06 2:13 PM
in reply to: #4349481

User image

Sensei
Sin City
mrbbrad - 2012-08-06 12:03 PM

Missy Franklin is staying amateur so she can swim for her High School swim team.

McKayla Maroney was homed schooled so she could focus on being an elite gymnast.

Curious, what's amateur status?  Can she do endorsments?  That's where all the money is anyway...

I know when I was in highschool, there was a track event that gave out awards (more than just medals/ribbons).  Something like a hat or shirt or shoes or something for winning.  I remember that I had to give them a nickle to "pay" for the track shoes I won to keep my amateur status.  Not sure if going pro is getting paid to compete, or if it's taking money to schlep Subway or something.

Seems to me if a athlete also had a side job as a model/spokesperson/acter in HS, it shouldnt' be a conflict?

2012-08-06 2:49 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
mrbbrad - 2012-08-06 2:03 PM

I agree.  Missy Franklin knows she has at least 2-3 more Olympics to "try again" so she can afford to have fun this time around...medals were a bonus.  With the new(ish) rules that gymnasts must be at least 16, they are ONE and DONE...no second chances.  She worked her whole life for that ONE moment...and saw her hopes dashed in front of her.  I didn't see Jordyn Wieber hugging anyone when she lost the chance at the all around yet no one seems to mind that...I guess because she was crying, so it's OK?  I don't think McKayla was trying to put down the other gymnast or be a poor sport.  I just think she was too young to deal with the emotions she was having to deal with at that moment in time.

2012-08-06 2:52 PM

User image

Seattle
2012-08-06 3:12 PM
in reply to: #4349649

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

Asalzwed - 2012-08-06 3:52 PM

This picture was well past that "moment in time".  Even if one was to give her a pass for being in the moment, it does not excuse this.  As I said...poor sportsmanship pure and simple.

2012-08-06 3:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
mrbbrad - 2012-08-06 2:03 PM

exactly.  saying the age of the athlete and the stage of the competition is not a part of it is unrealistic and idealistic.  that's not how sports work. 

don't get me wrong, i'm not saying it's ok to be unsportmanlike, but a kid that's homeschooled, shipped off to a full time training compound with the sole purpose to win a gold, kept out of normal social surroundings (in sports and outside of sports) for the part, and who is the current world champion will probably have a more emotional reaction compared to an all-comers track athlete...or even a highschool elite athlete.  that includes winning and losing.

saying that shows someone's true core is far too presumtuous.  we're not talking about a persons reaction on TV's What would you do with John Quinones, we're talking about a kid athlete that feels they have failed at their sole reason for existing at this point in their life.

2012-08-06 3:22 PM
in reply to: #4349697

User image

Extreme Veteran
Marvarnett - 2012-08-06 3:12 PM

This picture was well past that "moment in time".  Even if one was to give her a pass for being in the moment, it does not excuse this.  As I said...poor sportsmanship pure and simple.

like a roller coaster...up and down.

how she handles it the next day says more about a person to me.

2012-08-06 3:35 PM
in reply to: #4349731

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
antlimon166 - 2012-08-06 4:22 PM

Whole-heartedly Disagree.  The next day or hours later is easy to hide and put on a 'good' face.  Initial reactions are always correct.  Just like you have about :15 after you finish a race to determine if you did well or not.  Anything after that is tainted (results/comparisons/etc).

2012-08-06 3:49 PM

User image

Elite

And even besides age, sport, stage... it is out of place compared to all the other Olympians doing the same thing. We have seen plenty of disappointed athletes not get what they expected, but reacted differently. To me it wasn't the end of the world. She didn't flip off anyone... but her reaction really did stand out.

While we do get to see all the "human triumph" of the Olympics... girls can be super catty... and all I could think watching the girls team competition was how much stuff goes on off camera and how do they act in all the other competitions.

2012-08-06 3:56 PM
in reply to: #4349774

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Marvarnett - 2012-08-06 1:35 PM
antlimon166 - 2012-08-06 4:22 PM

Whole-heartedly Disagree.  The next day or hours later is easy to hide and put on a 'good' face.  Initial reactions are always correct.  Just like you have about :15 after you finish a race to determine if you did well or not.  Anything after that is tainted (results/comparisons/etc).

What exactly are you asking for?  If her initial reaction is "correct" do you want her to learn to change it?  Mask it?  Put on a 'good' face earlier?

Cuz that's what it is, really.  I'm NOT happy to lose the championship volleyball game in a tournament or get out kicked in a race, but I put on the 'good' face and smile and say good job and shake hands because it's sportmanship.  But inside?  I'm NOT happy about losing.

So again, what do you want?  Her to be happy she loses?  Put on the 'good' face earlier?  Because you seem unhappy about her putting on the 'good' face the next day and say it's not valid, but the 'good' face earlier is valid?  I'm seriously confused now.  Again, if she doesn't show 'proper' sportsmanship immediately, everything after that is tainted.  That's harsh.

I think people can react poorly in the heat of the moment, but after the heat of the moment is passed, and with some reflection, be happy with what you DID achieve and be happy for your opponent for stepping through the door you left wide open.

I honestly think she was being 100% herself through everything.  Bitter and grumpy with the loss and NOT putting on the 'good' face when she obviously didn't feel it.  And the next day, be authentically happy at the medal presentation.

Oh, and as for the pictures.  You can't take a snapshot in time and read ANYTHING into it.  She could have been blowing a fly off her nose in the first one as far as we know and just taken out of context.

2012-08-06 3:56 PM
in reply to: #4349697

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Marvarnett - 2012-08-06 3:12 PM

I agree here. This is a sour stank face.

This is not a 4-year-old's first T-ball game where mom and dad have to teach how to be a good sport the first time you lose. It's the Olympics medal ceremony, televised internationally, and this girl has been competing her entire life. She should know better, and know how to put on her big girl panties and a smile.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Poor Sportsmanship by US Vaulter (Mckayla Maroney) Rss Feed  

of 4