General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Weirdest Running Injury Ever Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-08-06 2:07 PM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
Subject: Weirdest Running Injury Ever

I wrote about this in my blog but I thought I'd put it out here to see who else has had weird injuries this year.

This past Friday afternoon I was running on the Erie Canal Towpath by my house when an insect flew out of the tree line and bit or stung me just below my right eye, near the bridge of my nose. It hurt, and seemed to be stuck, so I did the "Get It Off! Get It Off!" dance and managed to dislodge the bug, my visor and my mp3 player, all to the amusement of a couple of walkers also on the path.  It stung a bit but didn't feel too bad. Later that night it was kind of red but that was it.

Next morning my face is kind of swollen, and the eyelid is closed. Wife insists I go to Urgent Care, ok fine. Doc gives me a script for an anti-biotic with orders to go to the ED if it gets worse.  I ask about the Cayuga Lake Triathlon which I'm supposed to compete in the following day.  I don't even finish the phrase "swim in a lak.." and the doc says "NO!". Risk of bacterial infection, blah, blah, blah.   Crap.

It stays about the same over the course of the day. Go to bed, wake up the next day and my wife gently suggests that we go to the ED.   I look in the mirror and see a new Batman villian called "Balloon Face" staring back at me.

Spent a lovely day getting intravenous antibiotics, a CT scan, consultations etc. I'm offered an inpatient stay for observation (declined, thank you) and discharged with orders to return immediately if it gets worse because apparently infections like this can be very dangerous if they decide to head for the brain via the optic nerve.  Lovely.

So, instead of doing a tri on Sunday, I got to do this:

Running Injury

So, make me feel better, tell us your weird injury story.

2012-08-06 2:18 PM
in reply to: #4349496

User image

Elite
Laguna Beach
Subject: RE: Weirdest Running Injury Ever

Ugh. That is ghastly.

Here's one for you:

Raid Gauloises, Vietnam 2003. I'm on a five person team with three women.

We are in the high Vietnamese jungle in former North Vietnam. It is classic triple-canopy, dense jungle. There are no trails so we are navigating by wading in shallow rivers, and they are everywhere in this jungle.

Eventually we all have enough leeches in the crook of our knees that we have to stop to pull some off with a lighter. One of the girls is not comfortable with leeches so she is starting to get a little... panicy.

I realize a leech has made its way into my shorts and onto my private bits. Not good. I excuse myself, step out of the creek, bushwhack about 6 feet so the girls can't see me and pull my shorts down to get the leech off. In doing so I sit on a fallen timber. A fallen timber coated with ants.

My bare butt touches down on the ant covered tree and the ants hear the dinner bell. It's likely the first white-man they've dined on since the Vietnam war. There is a leech on my privates and ants eating my butt crack. I very quickly stand up, tri shorts around my knees. Not a pretty visual. Something large and black, like a big fire hose, begins to move directly between my feet. I presume it is a communications cable- but there are no cables in the Vietnamese jungle. It is, in fact, a spectacular and common specimen of the enormous cobra snake indigenous to the area.

I pulled my tri shorts up, ants, leeches and all, and got back in the river.

2012-08-06 2:18 PM

User image

Expert
South Windsor CT

Any idea on what it was that stung you??? Gee  get well.

2012-08-06 2:36 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Aw!  Get better, marmahammer!
2012-08-06 3:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I feel for you.

This was back in 2009, allergic reaction to something on the hand towel at the gym -

(eyes.jpg)

(brett resized2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
eyes.jpg (44KB - 8 downloads)
brett resized2.jpg (15KB - 5 downloads)
2012-08-06 3:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wauwatosa, WI

Good lord, that gym-towel allergic reaction looks photoshopped!!! Surprised

Hope you're feeling better, marmadaddy. That sucks. I don't have any weird injury stories like this to tell...only my sympathies to offer, as I've been stung 17 times by bees and usually get 20 mosquito bites to everyone else's 3. 

2012-08-06 3:53 PM

User image

Melon Presser

Wait, Mike ... that's not how you normally look?!

Poor pookie! Cool soothing {{MELON PRESS}} and what a circus to have to go through for an insect bite. I grrrrr for you!

2012-08-06 4:02 PM
in reply to: #4349531

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL
Tom Demerly. - 2012-08-06 2:18 PM

Ugh. That is ghastly.

Here's one for you:

We are in the high Vietnamese jungle in former North Vietnam. It is classic triple-canopy, dense jungle. There are no trails so we are navigating by wading in shallow rivers, and they are everywhere in this jungle.

Eventually we all have enough leeches in the crook of our knees that we have to stop to pull some off with a lighter. One of the girls is not comfortable with leeches so she is starting to get a little... panicy.

I realize a leech has made its way into my shorts and onto my private bits. Not good. I excuse myself, step out of the creek, bushwhack about 6 feet so the girls can't see me and pull my shorts down to get the leech off. In doing so I sit on a fallen timber. A fallen timber coated with ants.

My bare butt touches down on the ant covered tree and the ants hear the dinner bell. It's likely the first white-man they've dined on since the Vietnam war. There is a leech on my privates and ants eating my butt crack. I very quickly stand up, tri shorts around my knees. Not a pretty visual. Something large and black, like a big fire hose, begins to move directly between my feet. I presume it is a communications cable- but there are no cables in the Vietnamese jungle. It is, in fact, a spectacular and common specimen of the enormous cobra snake indigenous to the area.

This story started out like a "Peterman" story on Seinfeld. Love it!

2012-08-06 8:35 PM

User image

Regular
Costa Mesa
UGH!  I hope you get better soon!  Sorry you had to miss your tri.  (Maybe you can send the organizers that photo and get your money back!)  Keep vigilant about monitoring the size! 
2012-08-06 9:51 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Was at my daughters softball game and felt like I got stung or bit on my calf but saw nothing and no red mark.  Next day there is a red mark but looks more like a pimple.  As the day goes on it gets a bit worse and my boss says if it starts to turn black head to the Drs (something about a brown recluse spider?) but at the end of the day I give in and head to an urgent care place.  Thinking I was being a wimp the Dr takes one look at it and says "Yep, third one this month" shoots my leg up with painkiller, cuts it open (glad I was not squimish) and starts stuffing gauze with anti-biotics in under my skin.  WTH?  Needless to say my upcoming tri was a DNS.  What he failed to warn me was that removing all of that gauze a week later was done sans painkiller.  Brought tears to my eyes.
2012-08-06 10:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Yep, those crazy bugs will get you. I was running on a local trail when something flew up to my face, stopped and hovered for what seemed liked forever, then stung me on my upper lip. I also had the wth moment which included some waving arms and dancing around. Luckily the swelling was not as much as the other stories above, but for the rest of my run I could definitely feel it growing. The last 5 miles all I could think about is what I would do if I went into anaphylactic shock!

2012-08-06 11:15 PM
in reply to: #4349531

User image

Regular
Tom Demerly. - 2012-08-06 3:18 PM

Ugh. That is ghastly.

Here's one for you:

My bare butt touches down on the ant covered tree and the ants hear the dinner bell. It's likely the first white-man they've dined on since the Vietnam war. There is a leech on my privates andĀ ants eating my butt crack. I very quickly stand up, tri shorts around my knees. Not a pretty visual. Something large and black, like a big fire hose, begins to move directly between my feet. I presume it is a communications cable- but there are no cables in the Vietnamese jungle. It is, in fact, a spectacular and common specimen of the enormous cobra snake indigenous to the area.

I'm reading with broken ribs from an Xterra yesterday and made the mistake of reading after the first time I laughed. Writhing in pain now but man that's funny.
2012-08-07 2:41 AM

User image

Veteran
Last year I was stepping over a child safety gate and tripped. While trying to catch myself I rammed my foot into the top of the gate and broke my toe. Two months later, I reached across my bed to grab my wallet and my hand slipped off the side when I was getting back off. As I tried to catch myself I rammed my foot down the side into the edge of the box springs that were sticking out a little bit and just happened to break the same toe on the other foot.

Edited by Rickz 2012-08-07 2:42 AM
2012-08-07 8:40 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Mike, I hope you feel better!

Tom....that was about the funniest thing I have read in ages!  I can picture the whole thing and LMAO!
2012-08-07 8:47 AM

South Shore, MA

Oh wow!  Hope the antibiotics clear it up soon. 

My husband got a black fly bite above his ankle while hiking a few weeks back.  We then did a bunch of kayaking and swimming in fresh water.  A few days later, it started throbbing and he felt feverish.  The entire lower leg/ankle swelled up and turned red/purple so he went to the ER.  He was diagnosed with cellulitis.  Likely due to bacteria that entered the bite from fresh water.  It took quite some time for it to improve with oral antibiotics.  Insect bites can be terrible.

2012-08-07 12:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Miles City, Montana

I'm not even sure I should tell this one, but it won't top the black ants in the crack horror ...

Riding my bike last summer, I ran headlong into a swarm of insects.  Nothing unusual so I didn't bother to freak out until I feel something big squirming around in my sweaty cleavage.  I dang near wrecked when the wasp stung my boob!  I stopped and dug the little bugger out, but I failed to get the stinger.  As I was riding it felt like I was getting stung over and over. 

After I got home, stripped off and discovered the stinger, I looked like I had grown the mythical third nipple!  The dang thing was so swollen I couldn't even hide it under my clothes.  Couldn't wear a bra for a week - and trust me, that isn't a very sexy picture.  I still were higher necklines when riding in the summer to this day - brought whole new meaning to "protect the ta-tas!"

2012-08-07 1:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Georgia
I'm not going outside unless I see a bug in here. (member of stung in the eye club 1978) I was a little kid riding a bmx bike around the house. I remember pinching the wasp with my fingers until it went crunch. I'm expecting my super powers any day now.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Weirdest Running Injury Ever Rss Feed