World Triathlon Corporation
hotF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 54m 31s
Overall Rank = 156/
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 20/183
Pre-race routine:

Stayed at the Quality Inn at Louisville. Woke up at 4:00 AM at ate half a Udis bagel with Peanut butter. Drank two bottles of odwalla.
Event warmup:

Swam for about 10 minutes
Swim
  • 29m 56s
  • 1931 meters
  • 01m 33s / 100 meters
Comments:

My age group had two waves. I think I was 3rd out of the water in my wave. I drafted behind the other two guys for the entire swim. This was a PR for me!
What would you do differently?:

not much I could do since I had to swim around a lot of folks from the previous waves.
Transition 1
  • 02m 9s
Comments:

I usually start with my shoes on the bike but decided to just put them on in transition since the rack was very close to the bike out.

nothing, PR'd
Bike
  • 2h 28m 12s
  • 56 miles
  • 22.67 mile/hr

Need to figure out how to increase FTP for next year.
Transition 2
  • 01m 12s

run a bit faster through transition.
Run
  • 1h 53m 2s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

Ran out of T2 with two bottles of cold water. Dumped the first bottle over my head throughout the first mile. dumped the second bottle over my head from mile 1 - 5. After that things got real difficult. used water, ice and sponges at every aid station, but I would be bone dry within 3 minutes. Last two miles were brutal.

heat acclimate? Not sure, I was hoping to run a 1:45 for this race and was on pace for the first 5 miles. The heat definitely affected me since my HR was at least 10 beats higher than expected.
Post race
Warm down:

I got rushed over to the med tent due to nearly falling down from heat exhaustion.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

dehydration and heat. I could stand to lose another 10lbs so I could race a 165lbs

Event comments:

TAPER:

I'll start by saying that the taper leading up to this race was probably the worst I've experienced in any race. In the first week of my taper I felt extremely low almost considered hanging up racing after this race. I think I was trying to take on too much in the form of a second job and this caused everything to almost come crumbling down. I definitely need to learn to say no. The second week wasn't much better, but after talking to some of my experienced teammates and coach, they assured me that all would be fine and it's just part of the process. By the final week of my three week taper I started to feel physically ready and I just needed to get get mentally ready. I knew I was physically prepared. I had dropped 20 lbs since racing this race last year and I've trained consistently since then. I just needed something to commit myself to giving everything I had. I posted the following on my facebook page two days before the race in order to "commit" myself to this thing. I was surprised at the outpouring of support I received from my friends and had many of them come out to cheer me on during the race.

Dear Boulder 70.3 race course,

I'm writing this down not to be cocky but so I don't forget why I will do well in this race on Sunday. You may be as hot as Hades. When the pain kicks in and doubt starts to invade my thoughts and tells me it's okay to slow down and settle, I will say...F#@K OFF!, I'm here to win. I welcome the pain and gladly look forward to it!
I am determined to win! I've trained consistently all year, I've biked almost 3200 miles, ran 780 miles, and swam 156 miles all since January. The most memorable training has been when the weather conditions have not been optimal. Many long runs in the deep snow or pouring rain. Many rides in freezing cold temperatures. I've missed very few scheduled training days. I've sacrificed the foods I love (meat and dairy) to lose an additional 20 lbs since doing this race last year... But I did not give up beer! that would make me a bit obsessive and I'm not that.. I'm determined. To win! To win what? certainty not overall, I'm not delusional. My age group? The M40-44 AG in Boulder is probably one of the toughest groups in the country. I'll define winning as giving it my all, leaving nothing out there on the run. If that gets me a Ironman 70.3 world champion slot (roll downs welcome) than this race would be a dream come true for me!

Yours Truly,
Bib number 860

P.S. Please play fair and don't give me a flat tire! If you truly want to test me then save it for the run!

RACE MORNING:

Woke up at 3:50AM without the help of my alarm. Ate a bagel with peanut butter and drank a couple bottles of odwalla fruit juice. I also downed a bottle of pedialite then headed out to the reservoir. Racked my bike and headed down to the beach to warm up. My wave didn't kick off till 7:40 so I had plenty of time to contemplate what I might have forgotten to do ( I hate that feeling)

SWIM:

Made my way up to the front left and waited for air horn to go off. It went off and I swam. The funny thing is, One of my friends (Brian) was telling me a story about how he overheard a coach tell their athlete to sing "row row row your boat" if they panicked on the swim as a way to try and relax. Damn I wish he didn't tell me that.. I couldn't get that damn song out of my head the entire swim. The last two legs of the swim were congested with previous waves so it wasn't optimal but I was able to PR'd the swim. I was 7th in my division and 3rd in my wave.

T1:

Everything went smooth here. Felt like I ran fairly quickly out of the water and no mishaps.

BIKE:

I decided not to have my shoes clipped in since my rack location was very close to the bike out. Started out the first 4 miles just easing into my pace drinking nothing but water and allowing my legs to warm up. Averaged about 18mph. Once I got to 28th and Broadway I picked up the pace pushing the downhill section so as to try and make it over the crest of the next hill without having to work. I used this strategy for most of N Foothills Hwy. Lap 1 and 2 were pretty much the same pace and effort level. I didn't have any pains although I did notice my legs start to twinge a little. Never did they feel tired though. I was concerned that my avg HR seemed a little high. In fact It was right at my LT from last year's test. However my power was right at last years so I figured with my 20lb weight loss that was good. I was only passed a couple of times by guys in my AG and was able to stay with them (5 bike lengths back) and eventually re passed them. The last mile heading back into the reservoir I slowed a bit to open up my diaphragm and spin my legs to prepare for the run. got out of my shoes and made a clean running dismount. Much better than last year's flop.
I consumed about 500 calories from infinite and a banana. I think I could have used another 100-200 calories since I was definitely pushing my HR a little higher.

T2:

Fairly quick run through. Grabbed two ice cold bottles of water from my cooler, also got some sunscreen on my shoulders, wish I got some on my neck because I got burned pretty bad.

Run:

1st lap:

Legs felt good, I think the high cadence spin on the bike definitely helped. Started dousing myself with a bottle over the course of the first mile. I continued this strategy using the second bottle until it ran out about mile 5. I had my first gu at mile 3. Once I ran out of cold water to use I began using the dixie cups at the aid stations. I think this is when I started to slow a bit. The sponges and ice were great but they were drying out way before the next aid station. I was concerned that I was maybe running to fast but I wanted to not be afraid to push it and truly see how fast I could go. I wasn't concerned about finishing anymore or going under 5 hrs. I just wanted to go as hard as I could and figured I'd somehow push through any pain that would come later.

Mile Avg Pace AVG HR
1 7:49 160
2 7:57 159 start of hill
3 8:05 161 end of hill
4 7:41 163
5 8:10 162 both water bottles empty.
6 8:19 163

1st lap Averaged 8 min/mile at 161 bpm

2nd lap

This is where the pain and doubt started to try and creep it's way in. My legs felt dead and my turn over slowed. It took all my mental effort to keep my focus and even though I slowed, My effort remained the same as evident by my HR. I also think I started spending too much time walking through the aid stations but I felt the urgency to cool off and would dump as much water and ice over my head as I could grab. As far as nutrition and salt go, I had a cup of cola at every aid station and a gu at every other. I ate a 250mg salt pill at every mile and had no major issues until about mile 9 when my side started to cramp. I just took another 2 salt pills and the cramping subsided.
As I approached the last mile, I gave it everything I had and gradually built my speed up until I felt like I would pass out. As I crossed the finish line I collapsed to my knees and had to be helped to the medical tent where I laid for about 30 minutes. I felt a little nauseous and my legs were cramping pretty bad.

Mile Avg Pace AVG HR
7 8:41 163
8 9:06 162
9 9:06 163
10 9:41 159
11 9:03 162
12 9:15 158
13 8:38 165
13.22 6:35 176

2nd lap Averaged 9min/mile at 162 bpm

I wonder if I would slowed a bit on the first lap if it might have made a fast 2nd lap. Maybe try and keep my HR around 159? My run LT was tested last year in June and was 162 bpm. I'll have to think about this going into Vegas.

Oh Yeah, I got a spot for Worlds! I'm going to Vegas!

Last updated: 2012-01-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:56 | 1931 meters | 01m 33s / 100meters
Age Group: 7/183
Overall: 97/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: A single clockwise loop that starts out heading Northwest.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:09
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:28:12 | 56 miles | 22.67 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/183
Overall: 117/
Stats: from 2011: 10 min peak: 233 watts 20 min peak: 227 watts 30 min peak: 219 watts 60 min peak: 212 watts Avg power: 201 watts xPower: 212 watts max power: 750 watts avg cadence: 80rpm 2012: 10 min peak: 233 watts 20 min peak: 226 watts 30 min peak: 218 watts 60 min peak: 213 watts Avg power: 203 watts xPower: 215 watts max power: 665 watts avg cadence: 83rpm Avg HR 158bpm About the same, better reduction in max power, slightly higher cadence. Good news with the 20lbs weight loss. Definitely more wind than last year, coming out of the SW.
Wind: Some
Course: Two loops
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 83
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:12
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:53:02 | 13.1 miles | 08m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 20/183
Overall: 156/
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-08-06 4:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Parker, CO
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Boulder

2012-08-06 4:48 PM
in reply to: #4349902

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Boulder
Great Job! Really good time. It's interesting looking at your run... that was the run I fully expected, but no dice. Killing the swim and bike, and then that run... wow. I definitely have more work to do.
2012-08-07 11:55 AM

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
Awesome job Joe!  I know you worked really hard for this race and it paid off.  Solid performance in every leg.  I know you did not meet you goal time for the run but to me your run is the most impressive leg.  The swim and bike for you were pretty much auto-pilot.  The run in this heat is where you really had to dig deep and find it within yourself to keep going.  You have come a long way this season! 
2012-08-07 5:18 PM
in reply to: #4351258

User image

Veteran
Parker, CO

rayd - 2012-08-07 10:55 AM Awesome job Joe!  I know you worked really hard for this race and it paid off.  Solid performance in every leg.  I know you did not meet you goal time for the run but to me your run is the most impressive leg.  The swim and bike for you were pretty much auto-pilot.  The run in this heat is where you really had to dig deep and find it within yourself to keep going.  You have come a long way this season! 

Thanks Ray!

2012-08-08 2:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado

Congrats Joe on making worlds!  Following your log this year, you put in a ton of volume and you certainly deserve to go.

I learned in my HIM run last year that I pushed too much too soon and had a slower second half.  I think if I had started a little more conservative, I would have finished stronger.  I also did the majority of my training runs in the heat all summer long.  Lots of runs in the 80s, 90s.  It helps.

2012-08-08 5:45 PM
in reply to: #4353452

User image

Veteran
Parker, CO
FF Stock - 2012-08-08 1:41 PM

Congrats Joe on making worlds!  Following your log this year, you put in a ton of volume and you certainly deserve to go.

I learned in my HIM run last year that I pushed too much too soon and had a slower second half.  I think if I had started a little more conservative, I would have finished stronger.  I also did the majority of my training runs in the heat all summer long.  Lots of runs in the 80s, 90s.  It helps.

Thanks Todd! Yeah, I've been thinking a lot about my first and second half of the run. In the past two years I've negative split the run.  This is definitely a good way to finish strong.  However, this year I wanted to take a risk and see if I could hold on to a specific intensity (162 bpm) to find out how long I could hang on.  I learned I was mentally able to keep the intensity (6 beats higher than last year)  which tells me I fueled right otherwise my HR would have dropped.  After talking with my coach he feels its more of a strength issue now.  More hills and drills this fall and winter.

I definitely think your on to something with the heat training.  I am going to start doing my easier workouts midday (carefully) to try and acclimate for Vegas.  How long do you typically run in the heat?

2012-08-08 11:48 PM

User image

Regular
Logan, Utah
Congrats on getting a spot to Vegas - I remembered you from last year's race (couldn't make it out from Utah this year), and it looks like you've put in some serious time and dropped your time. I remember them talking about how tough that 40-44AG is out there. Great job. Great RR. Good luck at Vegas.... I'll be anxious to see how it goes.
2012-08-09 3:19 AM

User image

Master
University Park, MD
Congrats on a strong performance --- and on grabbing a Vegas spot! That run course in Boulder is a , much harder than it looks.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Boulder Rss Feed