General Discussion Triathlon Talk » hip pain Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-06-20 11:43 AM

Connecticut
Subject: hip pain
The outsides of my hips are so sore - the top of my thighs/bottom of butt!!...any ideas? I try to stretch that area (bent knee and cross one leg over the other) but that just doesn't seem to help. i can't imagine what it could be, i've moved my bike seat, tried to lengthen my strides when running, even abductor/adductor at the gym with little weight to stretch it out! i'm starting to get frustrated, think i may have to visit a dr!! unless any of you can help me out with any ideas!!! thanks!
liz

2004-06-20 11:53 AM
in reply to: #32578

User image

Elite
Reno
Subject: RE: hip pain
Hi Liz

I had similar pain on just one side for many months after a night of salsa dancing. I was in "couch shape" and I thought I just would get in better shape and stretch alot and it would go away (it is why I signed up for a triathlon). It did not go away on its own. It wound up being an SI joint disfunction (the joint between your hips and spine) that had pinched a nerve, and training on it lead to trochanteric bursitis (I felt so old to have to say I had bursitis!!!).

Anyway, a visit to the doc got me a cortisone injection (ouch!) and most importantly, directive to go to Physical Therapy. At Physical therapy they do some manipulation to get me better aligned and then have me do a series of exercises to strenghthen my core while I am aligned. It was so much better after just 2 visits!

This may not be what you have, but I am a firm believer in Physical Therapy!

good luck
2004-06-20 12:02 PM

User image

Expert
Durham, CA
Ditto to the previous post. After about 1-1/2 years of training, out of the blue I had pain so extreme I could not walk. I thought that I had a stress fracture, but my skillful doc (on easter sunday, no less) convinced me that I had burcitus. The Bursa glands are "anti-friction" plates at most of your critical joints. If they are overused or stressed out (I made mine mad by jumping on the trampoline with my son) they become inflammed, and it really hurts.

The good news is that most the time just treating with an anti-inflamatory (and rest) will resolve the problem.

Another thing you might try, I take both glucosin/condrotroin and cod liver oil (in capsule form).

You are also on the right track with doing some weight work. That also seems to have helped me.

Dennis

2004-06-20 1:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Waco, Texas
Liz,
I can ditto with the previous posts. Mine turned out to be piriformis muscule syndrome. Nasty business and the stretch you were mentioning wasn't touching it. My neurologist finally pinpointed and addressed it. A stretch the P. T. taught me involves getting onto the floor on all fours (like the "dog"). Bring your left foot forward and anchor it in front of your right knee. SLOWLY, extending your right leg back as you go down, ease yourself towards the floor. It's like lying on your belly with one of your legs under your belly and the other straight out on the floor. When I started, I couldn't get my entire torso onto the floor. Now, I get all the way down and the stretch is great. I used a lot of ice packs, a rub called "biofreeze" and a couple of NSAIDs. The following link is a website I found incredibly helpful, along with what my Dr. and the P. T. had me doing. I post it in hopes that you might find it helpful and get some relief from your pain...and soon!
http://www.drpribut.com/sports/sportframe.html
Vanessa

:-)
2004-06-21 12:17 PM

Connecticut
Hey I just wanted to say thanks to you both. Saw the dr. this morning, got a few stretches to do and should be on my way! thanks for your help!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » hip pain Rss Feed