Midwest Sports Events
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 12m 8s
Overall Rank = 19/157
Age Group = M 20-24
Age Group Rank = 1/21
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5. Drank some orange cardboard (aka. Hammer Perpetuem), a Gu, a few strawberries and 4 Clif Shot Bloks. Got my race gear and also a layer of warmer prerace clothes on since it was 48F at that time. After being at the transition area for a while, it became pretty evident that I had not eaten enough to hold me over. My stomach started to growl at about 6:40 or so. I downed a Gu shortly after and the events started shortly afterward so that took my mind off of me being hungry.
Event warmup:

I did some stretching to keep my HR up. Once we were allowed in the water, I got in and swam for a bit, maybe 5 minutes or so. It was cold!
Swim
  • 05m 35s
  • 400 meters
  • 01m 24s / 100 meters
Comments:

The swim wasnt really a full 400m swim, nor do I think it was even 400m long. It started out on the shore of the lake and when the start alert sounded, everyone ran in. The lake is really, really shallow so everyone pretty much water ran for 100m, then swam for 200m, then swam another 100m, if it was even 400m. Unlike Lake Mills here I hung out in the back, I got right in it on this one. I was pretty confident this time around, especially since the swim seemed so much shorter.
What would you do differently?:

Learn to do that jump dive, jump dive thing that everyone was doing to go faster that trying to run through the water.
Transition 1
  • 01m 38s
Comments:

When we got out of the water, it was a short run on the beach to the transistion area. When we went through the gate to get to the transition area, they had a kiddy pool set up so we could run through and wash our feet off. Nice! T1 went pretty smooth.

Nothing that I can think of.
Bike
  • 44m 29s
  • 16.8 miles
  • 22.66 mile/hr
Comments:

After I hopped on my bike and got myself going, I realized my HR wasnt working. I did a quick check and found that my HRM strap was around my waist. Oops. I continued to pedal, going 20 mph, no handed and moved the strap back up. Looking back, that probably wasnt the smartest thing to do. The course had excessive railroad tracks. 6 crossing for sure, maybe 8 - I lost count. They werent that bad though. I ended up killing the course. I was zipping by eveyone I could see. Nobody passed me on the bike. There were a few times where people were riding all over the road and I couldnt get around. As I was approaching, most of the time, though, I was able to find a route to squeeze through while not putting anyone in danger of crashing. A few times I did have to slow down. When I came in, there was only one other bike racked from my wave. That guy ended up beating my ride by :07.

It was still cold out during the ride and I barely sweat at all. I did end up downing 3/4 of my bottle of Perpetuem, though.

Yell to people which side Im coming up on that are clogging up the course. I also need to get my front derailluer fixed so that I can ride the middle cog in the front and the small cog in the back without it rubbing. Its just annoying more than anything.
Transition 2
  • 01m 24s
Comments:

I gotta find a way to get run without socks. That would save me so much time. As I was leaving T2, I realized that I didnt turn on my footpod and that my shoe was also not tight enough. Thanks to Yankz laces for the quick tightening tough!

Work on running without socks.
Run
  • 19m
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

After I stopped and tighten my shoe and turn the foot pod on, I took off again. I had an super good ride on the bike and I was out to kill the run. At the beginning, my hip was a little tight, but it loosened up quickly. I spotted people I wanted to pass and slowly reeled each one in. My legs felt good, I had lots of energy left, and I felt awesome. (Thanks Perpetuem, although you taste really bad). Close to the turn around, I spotted the other guy that came in on the bike before me. He was about :30-:45 ahead of me at that time. I burned back and ended up passing him with 1/4 mi left to go. Just as I passed him, I gave it the final kick and was able to pass one more person on the last meters before the finish. Nobody passed me on the run either.

Nothing. Awesome run!
Post race
Warm down:

I walked around a bit and stretched. Downed my Recoverite and also some Gatorade. The food they had sucked, so I didnt really eat much more than that, except maybe a banana and a snickers-type bar.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swimming ability.

Event comments:

The first wave went out a 5-10 minutes late. After that things took off pretty quickly. They had lots of people all over that place, which was nice. People stopping traffic for the bike and directing you around during the run. Post race, it was kinda sucky. They had water from a water fountain, something that tasted like really bad Kool-Aid, Gatorade at the finish, some bananas, bars and cheese, sausage and crackers. That was a little weird. Overall, though, it was a good event. They just need to work on the Post Race - which is what I heard about some of their other events also. I would definetely go back to this race next year!

Last updated: 2006-03-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:35 | 400 meters | 01m 24s / 100meters
Age Group: 10/21
Overall: 84/157
Performance: Good
Avg HR: 143; Max HR: 169
Suit:
Course: Out and back in the shallow man-made lake.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:38
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:44:29 | 16.8 miles | 22.66 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/21
Overall: 21/157
Performance:
Avg HR: 149; Max HR: 156
Wind: Little
Course: A out-and-back and loop hybrid on some almost country roads.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 97
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:24
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:19:00 | 03.11 miles | 06m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/21
Overall: 16/157
Avg HR: 159; Max HR: 168
Course: Out direction on sidewalk and back on the ride of the road. The turn around had a water stop and there was a mild incline back up towards the finishing area.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-06-11 8:54 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Green Bay Triathlon

2006-06-11 9:12 PM
in reply to: #450608

User image

Veteran
Chicago and therabouts
Subject: RE: Green Bay Triathlon
Nice Race...Congratulations on the hardware.  Im jealous of the awesome Bike and run splits. Especially after a 10k yesterday.  I though everyone in WI liked cheese after a triathlon?  Sorry didnt meet you and the other BT's there. Had hands full with the kids. Again..congrats on great race.
2006-06-11 9:19 PM
in reply to: #450629

User image

Expert

Thanks! The cheese looked like it was sitting there for a long time....ewww. After a nice hard effort on a tri, anything dairy doesnt really appeal to me. Especially warm cheese. Were you at the GB Tri? Howd you do?

-Rob

Edited by pseudoyams 2006-06-11 9:19 PM
2006-06-11 9:25 PM
in reply to: #450636

User image

Veteran
Chicago and therabouts

I was up there with the family. My 8 yr old did the kids tri. I was able to just get into the water in time. My race report has more boring details.  I passed on the cheese as well..but the 1/4 filled cups of "trail mix" hit the spot.  Overall though..they did a great job...especially with the kids.  Just wished the would give the parents time to watch them and race as well.

Edited by jtopin 2006-06-11 9:26 PM
2006-06-12 7:09 AM

User image

Champion
Wisconsin
WOW, you smoked it! incredibly fast, and hardware, and on Packer Soil. Lots to be thrilled about!
2006-06-12 8:08 AM

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI
GREAT report and GREAT RACE.  That had to be awesome being that far in front and reeling people in on the run.  I am officially living vicariously through your athletic ability from now on...

2006-06-12 8:14 AM

User image

Elite
In The Peleton
Awesome job Rob!
2006-06-12 8:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Madison,WI

You looked SO STRONG on the run! You killed me on the bike, but I bet you looked awesome there too! Totally impressive........(i was right behind you on the swim .......that totally made my day!)

You rock!  Nice work!!!

2006-06-12 8:29 AM
in reply to: #450897

User image

Expert

Yeah, when we were coming in for the swim I saw you on my left.  We were about side by side almost the whole way coming in on the last 50m or so.

-Rob 

2006-06-12 10:58 AM

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland
Awesome job, congratulations on your win.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Green Bay Triathlon Rss Feed